College Policy Debate Forums
November 20, 2017, 09:15:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014-2015 NDT Subscribers - As of Jan 15  (Read 2559 times)
dleek

« on: January 15, 2015, 11:36:17 PM »

The following list is current as of Jan. 15.
Of course, it is subject to my human error (and bad spelling) - please let me know if you are missing.
Danielle Leek

Arizona State University

ARMY - United States Military Academy

Baylor University

Binghamton University

Boston College

California State University - Fresno

California State University - Sacramento (Sac State)

Clarion

City University of New York

Cornell University

Dartmouth College

Emory University

Emporia State University

George Mason University

Georgetown University

Georgia State University

Harvard University

Isothermal Community College

James Madison University

Johnson County Community College

Kansas City Kansas Community College

Kansas State University

Liberty University

Macalester College

Michigan State University

Missouri State University

NAVY - United State Naval Academy

The New School

New York University

Northwestern University

Pepperdine University

Rutgers University

Samford University

San Francisco State University

Stanford University

Southern Methodist University

Towson University

Trinity University

University of California - Berkely

University of California - Fullerton

University of Central Florida

University of Central Oklahoma

University of the District of Columbia-CC

University of Florida

University of Georgia

University of Houston

University of Kansas

University of Kentucky

University of Mary Washington

University of Michigan

University of Minnesota

University of Missouri - Kansas City

University of Nevada- Las Vegas

University of North Texas

University of Northern Iowa

University of Puget Sound

University of Southern California

University of Texas - Austin

University of Texas - Dallas

University of Texas - San Antonio

University of Vermont

University of Washington

University of West Georgia

University of Wyoming

Vanderbilt University

Wake Forest University

Wayne State University

Weber State University

Western Connecticut State University

Whitman College

Wichita State University
CouldaBeenaContenda

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 02:20:22 PM »

Isothermal Community College???

You need to update to the latest revision of SMF message board software; the one that screens unverified submissions for transparently fake names.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:59:54 PM by CouldaBeenaContenda » Logged

Dover (New Hampshire) High School debate team, 1967-1970
Dover High School Debate Coach, 1970-1971
University of New Hampshire debate team, 1970 (when we still spoke like human beings)
University of New Hampshire debate team, 1980-1981 (and when we didn't)
UNH assistant debate coach, 1980-1981
kelly young

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 05:06:56 PM »

You need to update to the latest revision of SMF message board software; the one that screens unverified submissions for transparently fake names.

Google. Check it out some time. http://www.isothermal.edu/

Director of Forensics/Associate Professor
Wayne State University
313-577-2953
kelly.young [at] wayne.edu
www.wsuforensics.org
CouldaBeenaContenda

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 07:08:07 PM »

Google. Check it out some time. http://www.isothermal.edu/

Actually, I had already checked the Wikipedia page.  It says: "This... tertiary education institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it” , but I'm not sure I can.  I'm one of those guys who, when a clerk says to me, "Can I help you?", sometimes responds, "I'm beyond help".  Regrettably, that Wikipedia page is beyond help.  

It seems that the Isothermal Community College took its name from a peculiar, local thermodynamic weather phenomenon, which is sort of like Miami calling itself the "Hurricanes"... except that we all know what a hurricane is.   As a one time engineering major, I've retained sufficient rudimentary knowledge of physics to enable me to digest the Google Books excerpts regarding the term “isothermal” from, "Non-equilibrium Thermodynamics" by S. R. DeGroot and Peter Mazur.  While neither Messrs. DeGroot or Mazur are on the Isothermal Community College faculty, if any ICC (?) graduates (??) ever want to undertake advanced studies in the thermal hairstyling – a subject that ICC does presently teach – then perhaps they can be persuaded to serve as mentors.

In fairness to any hair-styling majors there who cannot explain the temperate climate they enjoy in their isothermal zone, I've never met any Georgetown debaters who can definitively explain the meaning of, “Hoya Saxa”, either.

According to the most current “subscriber” list posted here, NDT debate now has just 76 eligible schools.  That's down from over 600 participating schools in 1963, according to Newsweek, and about 85 last year.  That same issue of Newsweek further reported that debaters in 1963 were seen as talking too fast and over-relying on “expert” evidentiary citations.  Regrettably, they are guilty of that this year, too.  

NDT debate has problems that admitting more Heidegger-based programs won't make go away.  They each get you another $50 to $150, and additional warm bodies at the district tournaments, and most likely some token integration (disclaimer: I am a white male), but they also dilute the value of, and the ROI on, the 50,000 or so citations that the mainstream, mega-programs accumulate and develop.  

What's worse is that, because of Mutual Preferred Judging, you can't even risk discussing improving NDT debate, since if any of you say publicly that you would like to discourage some aspect of contemporary debate that some consider to be banal, but to which many other programs are committed, the proponents of such change can get downranked into judging obscurity and their teams retributively persecuted into oblivion.

Take disaster DAs.  Please!  A few years ago, I read a suggestion that judges should not consider disaster DAs unless they include at least one card from a credible or plausible authority associating the plan's direct effect with the disastrous outcome, e.g., unless a debater produces a card that says that some policy maker or analyst is concerned that replacing stop signs with flashing red lights might increase the likelihood of nuclear war, then the judge will not consider any Rube Goldberg chain of events that would theoretically result in that increased likelihood.

What would happen to the MPJ ranking of judges who publicly indicated an aversion to disaster DAs?   Or what would happen if a judge declared that a card or citation will not be considered as proof of an argument unless the debater explains after reading it how it tends to support the argument?  Would you want such a judge judging your team?  Maybe, maybe not.  For many, it would depend on whether all judges agreed to disfavor the same practices as one another, all at the same time.  But for now, it looks to me like coaches can't  risk even discussing bringing debate back to reality without being vilified for so speaking.

Michael W. Toland
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:54:33 PM by CouldaBeenaContenda » Logged

Dover (New Hampshire) High School debate team, 1967-1970
Dover High School Debate Coach, 1970-1971
University of New Hampshire debate team, 1970 (when we still spoke like human beings)
University of New Hampshire debate team, 1980-1981 (and when we didn't)
UNH assistant debate coach, 1980-1981
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: