College Policy Debate Forums
December 11, 2018, 05:34:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Neil Berch  (Read 4468 times)
SherryHall

« on: February 15, 2015, 10:38:23 PM »

From Samantha Godbey:

With the heaviest of hearts I regret to say that Dr. Neil Berch lost his battle to cancer today. I hope everyone knows how much he loved and cared about this community. I spent time with this wife and children today, no services have been planned yet but I will keep the community posted on anything that is planned.
SherryHall

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 10:39:05 PM »

From Vic Keenan:

Thanks for posting this Sam.  Our thoughts are with his family, you, and the whole WVU squad.
SherryHall

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 10:39:46 PM »

My heart aches for Betsey, Anna and Adam. They, his family and all the folks at WVU are in my prayers. Sam, when I saw Neil in Boston a few weeks ago it was obvious to me how much comfort he took in knowing the WVU squad was in your capable hands. There is no one he trusted or respected more than you. Neil fought a valiant battle for almost a decade and I was in constant awe of his tenacity and resourcefulness. He was a uniter, a mediator, a right-fighter and an all around brilliant man. I spoke with him the day before yesterday and he still wanted to talk about District judging and pairing the dreaded Districts round 6. He simply loved debate and he loved all of you.

I miss my friend.
SherryHall

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:40:27 PM »

From Lisa Heller Boragine:

I've not been active in the policy debate world for many years, but I will remember Neil fondly for his passion, commitment and incredible heart. What an inspiration. He leaves a legacy and a community that has been touched by his presence.

kevin kuswa

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 10:46:33 AM »

No! So so sad to hear this news.  What a pillar of the community.  Neil Berch was always one of the most supportive and caring people in debate.  His efforts on behalf of novice debate and new programs were always personal, immense and effective.  His students always share his contagious love for debate and he found ways to bring the best spirit and energy with his teams and as a host.  This is an unbelievable loss.  Neil will be incredibly missed.  Our thoughts are with the whole Mountaineer family. RIP, Coach.  Sincerely, Kevin
SherryHall

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 02:24:45 PM »

From Samantha Goodbey:

There will be a memorial service held for Dr. Neil Berch on Saturday, February 28, 2015 in the Rhododendron Room of the Mountainlair at West Virginia University at 1:00 p.m.  A reception with the family will follow.

Josh and I have a some room if people would like to stay with us. Thanks everyone for your support.
SherryHall

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 10:05:50 PM »

Instead of flowers, those who have the desire are welcome to donate to either the New York City Urban Debate League http://www.nycudl.org/#!donate/c23jt , the Baltimore Urban Debate League http://budl.org/donate/ , or CancerGrace.org (a global resource for advancing cancer education) http://cancergrace.org/donate .

-Berch-Norton family
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: