College Policy Debate Forums
October 23, 2018, 06:34:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: D5 Final Results -2015  (Read 4264 times)
repko

« on: February 21, 2015, 09:09:28 PM »

Special thanks to DeLo, Emily and Blake. The Hoosiers hosted yet another tournament for our community -- take a moment to consider how exceptionally generous Indiana has been with their willingness to host events over the last 12 months.

D5 had two bids available for the NDT.

Congrats to the following teams:

1st place:
Northwestern University OW (Connor O’Brien & Robel Worku)        4-0 record

2nd place:
Wayne State University NS (Jeff Nagel & Talya Slaw)                    3-1 record

And our 1st Alternate is:
Indiana University FS   (Kegan Ferguson & Ben Smale)                 2-2 record

Best,

Will
CouldaBeenaContenda

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 04:03:51 PM »

A four round district qualifier?  How many teams/schools participated?  How many judges per round?

Dover (New Hampshire) High School debate team, 1967-1970
Dover High School Debate Coach, 1970-1971
University of New Hampshire debate team, 1970 (when we still spoke like human beings)
University of New Hampshire debate team, 1980-1981 (and when we didn't)
UNH assistant debate coach, 1980-1981
BrianDeLong

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 10:46:50 PM »

Tournament information and results are located here: https://www.tabroom.com/index/tourn/results/event_results.mhtml?tourn_id=3521&result_id=9837.

6 teams entered (5 eligible to count towards bid allocation). One judge rather than panels due to basic logistical issues related to only have three schools entered at the tournament. The tournament size is a direct result of Michigan, MSU, and Northwestern having 5 first round bids amongst them. A power debate conference with need of more participating schools, if you will.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:55:30 PM by BrianDeLong » Logged
CouldaBeenaContenda

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 11:29:23 PM »

Been there, seen that.  I was in high school in the era when the success of the teams that attended, "summer institutes" drove the other schools out of the league and only five out of over twenty bothered to show up for the finals, and one of them was there only because they seemingly, "didn't get the memo" and sent the kind of team that gets fielded when a principal comes on the intercom and says, "Your attention please.  The University of New Hampshire will again be hosting the annual state debate championship this Saturday.  Anyone interested in participating can sign up in the library."  

In spite of those modest sized fields, one winner reached quarter-finals at the NFL national tournament.  A decade and a half later, when the field was even smaller, one school had all four semi-finalists.  I've read that the NFL finally decertified the NHFA as a qualifying tournament after that, notwithstanding the fact that one of those teams actually won the Tournament of Champions that year.

I also attended a CNFL qualifying tournament in 1970 with just three schools sending two teams each.  No one bothered to tell us that they had "seeded" the first two rounds just to make sure that one team from each school qualified, so we nearly screwed up the whole sham by designating our better team to be the "B" team just so our weaker team could go affirmative first.  You should have seen the looks on the faces of our opponents when we walked into the room and one of them said, "You're the B team?".  

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:54:16 PM by CouldaBeenaContenda » Logged

University of New Hampshire debate team, 1970 (when we still spoke like human beings)
CouldaBeenaContenda

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 03:05:53 AM »

The tournament size is a direct result of Michigan, MSU, and Northwestern having 5 first round bids amongst them....

If Michigan, MSU, and Northwestern had had no first round bids, then the qualifying tournament would still have had a total of just ten teams from just five schools.  Going, going...

I read a general circulation news story dated I think in 2003 that the Northwestern debate team had 30 members.  I took that to mean NDT policy debaters.  I also saw it reported on this forum that the Kentucky tournament in 2011 included 9 teams from Michigan State, 8 from Emory, 7 from UMich, and 6 from Northwestern and Dartmouth.  It seems to me that one way to boost debate would be to somehow limit program size.  Not that that is a novel idea or anything.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:24:28 PM by CouldaBeenaContenda » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: