College Policy Debate Forums
September 18, 2018, 11:45:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dartmouth College, Director of Debate  (Read 4314 times)
ken strange

« on: March 18, 2015, 02:53:03 PM »

Dartmouth College will be seeking a new Director of Debate for the Fall of 2015.                                           
The position will soon be listed on the College's Human Resources webpage.  When that occurs, I will post the URL here.                                             
Eric Ramsey, Senior Assistant Dean of the College, will be at the NDT in Iowa City.  He will be available to meet with people and happy to answer questions about the position and the College.  Confidential meetings with Eric will be possible, should you prefer.  You can contact Eric at at Eric.L.Ramsey@dartmouth.edu.   
CouldaBeenaContenda

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:51:36 PM »

I used to own the pinball machine that was in the Dartmouth Forensic Union headquarters in Robinson Hall in the Fall of 1973, years before Ken Strange was hired.  It was D. Gottlieb and Co.'s, "Snow Derby."

Dartmouth's tournament director of that era had been one of my many high school debate partners and was my business partner in that venture.  The machine didn't make much money so we took it out a few months later.

Ken had the misfortune of judging me when I came back to school in 1980, which was likely the last time he ever got to judge someone who had debated in the same academic year that he had.  My partner in that round and I were pretty low in the power matchings by that point, so I guess the tournament's judge assignment system must have had a glitch in it.  I remember looking for an opening to make an allusion to the pinball machine in my rebuttal but I couldn't develop one.  It would have been easier to arrange if Bates debate coach and former Dartmouth (Class of 1973) debater Bob Branham had been judging, since he, himself, had surely played it.

- Michael W. Toland
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:31:31 PM by CouldaBeenaContenda » Logged

Dover (New Hampshire) High School debate team, 1967-1970
Dover High School Debate Coach, 1970-1971
University of New Hampshire debate team, 1970 (when we still spoke like human beings)
University of New Hampshire debate team, 1980-1981 (and when we didn't)
UNH assistant debate coach, 1980-1981
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: