College Policy Debate Forums
September 25, 2018, 04:50:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Go Ed Lee !!  (Read 2374 times)
repko

« on: August 07, 2015, 02:23:13 AM »

Frontpage of CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/07/opinions/lee-who-won-debate/index.html

..and, yes, I live newborn hours.

CouldaBeenaContenda

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 01:50:03 PM »

Frontpage of CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/07/opinions/lee-who-won-debate/index.html

..and, yes, I live newborn hours.

Last time I went drinking in Chicago, they still had 4 AM liquor licenses (held only by Irish pub owners, I was told), so when I see someone posting at 4:30 AM, I don't even wonder if they are posting before going to bed or just after they have arisen.

41 Comments posted at CNN.com in 11 hours, but not a one authored by a CEDA Forum member under his (darn pronouns!) actual or Forum screen name.  Tsk, tsk.  Get movin', you guys!

Kudos to Emory Debate Director Ed Lee for his readily digestible implementation of Aristotle's intellectually highbrow treatise on the means of persuasion.  I remember Jimmy Unger's critiques of presidential debates being comparatively drab; surely not up to the caliber of his own interlinear critiques of the Georgetown Summer Debate Institute's model speeches that were published in his "Second Thoughts..." series of the late 1960s and early 1970s.  

Whenever I see those three tools of persuasion listed, I am always expecting to find D'Artagnan bringing up the rear.  I did find it curious that Mr. Lee reversed the usual order of Logos and Pathos.  I remember that when Mortimer Adler spoke of Aristotle's Rhetoric on one of his many Firing Line appearances, he described the utilization of those three means of persuasion as a sequential process, rather than al la carte, though my reading of most other summaries of Aristotle's writings leads me to conclude that Mr Adler, like any scholar presenting the thoughts of Aristotle, was intermixing Aristotle's teachings with thoughts of his own.

Mr. Lee's article benefits greatly from its superb implementation of the principles of Aristotle's Lexis to keep it appropriate to its broad, self-selected audience.  My sympathies go to any students who expect to find such clarity of word and thought in contemporary intercollegiate policy debate, though I trust that a fine institution like Emory can provide its students with such instruction in its other course offerings.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:45:14 AM by CouldaBeenaContenda » Logged

Dover (New Hampshire) High School debate team, 1967-1970
Dover High School Debate Coach, 1970-1971
University of New Hampshire debate team, 1970 (when we still spoke like human beings)
University of New Hampshire debate team, 1980-1981 (and when we didn't)
UNH assistant debate coach, 1980-1981
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: