College Policy Debate Forums
November 18, 2017, 07:52:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuna Snider  (Read 17697 times)
SherryHall

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 01:05:16 PM »

I am so very saddened by this news ... I had had the distinct pleasure of working with and learning from "Tuna" for the past 10-12 years! He is an amazing person!
SherryHall

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 01:05:53 PM »

Sarah, this is so hard to hear. I've known your dad for almost 40 years, since he first judged me in HS debate. He truly has done heroic work in using debate to help bring peace to the world. Sending love and healing to all of you. Tuna's enormous extended family embraces him.
SherryHall

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »

Sarah. I love your father. He had been a kind, caring soul and a leader and a mold breaker in debate and beyond. I can only imagine how incredibly proud he is of you and how much joy you and your family have brought him. I will always think of him with love. So sorry for you all. This world has been made so much brighter by his spirit!
SherryHall

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 01:07:53 PM »

From Gregg Turner:
Tuna –

I am praying for your full recovery. I have jokingly said that I live vicariously through you but the truth is I admire the life you have lived and the example you have set for the world as much as any human being I have ever encountered. I sincerely respect the determination you displayed in pursuing your dream and the hard work and devotion that you put in to making that dream a reality. Not only do you love your work but your work is important to the world. In this tumultuous environment, the world needs more Tuna Sniders. I remember you telling over dinner about the genesis of World Debate as you prepared for a trip to China – probably about 2002. You confidently declared with a gleam in your eye, "we are going to teach them from within how to defeat tyranny." I want you to know that I cherish my LDU sweatshirt that you bestowed upon me as an honorary member. The inscription truly reflects what you have managed to accomplish: "Speaking Truth To Power!" We’ve both been busy and have not kept in touch as we should but I regard you as a fine man and a true friend. It has been an honor to know you.
SherryHall

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 01:08:30 PM »

My thoughts are with Tuna, and with you, Justin and the boys. Your dad is a great man whose love and kindness have made the world a better place.
SherryHall

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 01:10:35 PM »

Thank you for making time at such a difficult moment to share with others. This seems to hard to imagine and so many of us will continue to expect to see his notes about his next trips. Our thoughts and prayers and with you all.
SherryHall

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 01:11:21 PM »

All good wishes to him and to you -- I'm one of so many former debaters, not ever formally "his" (at Bates, or in an institute group, or etc.) but deeply lucky to have been his judge-ee, student and friend.
SherryHall

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 01:13:01 PM »

Not a single day goes by without me mentioning you and thinking about the things you have said, done, made me think about, and how blessed I am to have met you.

You have helped me believe I have something to give to this world after all. You and Bojana have shown me what true love should look like. And I don't know if I ever told you (certainly not enough) - you are one of my favourite people in the world. Just being able to call myself your friend means the world to me. Thank you for everything you have done. For everything you are still doing for so many hearts and minds around the world. For everything your words and deeds will continue to do.

Thinking of you, Tuna, today and every day and sending you hugs across time and space.
SherryHall

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 01:14:03 PM »

I was just informed that my UVM debate coach has fallen very ill, to the point he might not survive. He was such a mentor and a friend during college and post college. He taught me how to debate and how to win. He worked on the Dukakis campaign and I would always send him talking points to review before passing them to whatever elected official I was working for or asking his strategic advice, it was always spot on. When I went back to visit UVM post college we would hangout for a few hours in his apartment talking about life, politics, philosophy. Here is a picture of Alfred Snider and I at the Debate Union end of year party in 2009 on the balcony of the Waterman building overlooking Lake Champlain. I am just devastated by this news, please say a prayer.
SherryHall

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 01:14:41 PM »

If you have not done so already, please be sure to send a word of kindness or a prayer to Alfred Snider who is fighting for his life. Those of you in the debate world know that Tuna has been a giant who has effected lives through debate all around the world, from Vermont to Palestine to China and beyond. Wishing him the best right now.
SherryHall

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 01:15:16 PM »

Tuna, you've done more for the activity I love than anyone I can think of. Directly, and indrectly, so many people have benefitted from you, and your dedication for debate, and we are forever in your debt for everything you've done, supported, and accomplished. It has been a privilege to work on the tournaments you've run, and I hope to experience that again someday. Thank you.
SherryHall

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »

My thoughts are with Alfred Snider today. Please join me in sending all the power and energy we have in ourselves to help him in his time of physical need. The world is a better place with Tuna around.
SherryHall

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 01:16:55 PM »

To my mentor, friend, support system, my coach.

You always told everyone how lucky you felt to have them on the team, but I don't think we ever told you enough how lucky we were to have you.

You have truly changed my life, and the lives of many others.

"Vamos al Cielo", Tuna.

Your words will continue to live on and breath power into the world, whether it is in Vermont Slovenia, or Palestine (and the list goes on...).
SherryHall

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 01:17:55 PM »

Tuna - thoughts, prayers and good vibes coming your way. You've done so much for so many, we're endlessly grateful to you. Get well soon, you have so much more debate to bring to the world!
SherryHall

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2015, 02:49:21 PM »

It takes a lot of bravery to look around you and see the world not as it is, but as it should be. You saw the type of world debate could build and you dedicated your life to the creation of this new world.

Because of your dedication a countless number of people have had their lives changed forever. I know I am better off for having you as a friend and confidant. Thank you for everything you've done for me and my debate program, dear friend.

All my love to my dearest Tuna, Bojana and the UVM family.

We all stand on the shoulders of a giant
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: