College Policy Debate Forums
November 22, 2017, 07:26:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting a New NDT Club at my School  (Read 1580 times)
Squelch

« on: March 16, 2016, 10:26:52 AM »

Hello,

I've been involved in debate and forensics all throughout High School. I loved it. When I came to Bob Jones University I was dismayed to find out that their club had disbanded. Right now I am attempting to restart debate on campus. I am making a presentation and need a few pieces of information to make the case for us joining NDT.

Here are my questions:

How many debates is it normal to participate in?
What is the normal cost of attending a debate (hotel, travel, entry fee, etc.)?
How many teams should we have?

Thanks for you response.

hansonjb

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 03:00:03 PM »

feel free to contact me at jim@climbthemountain.net for more questions/help/whatever.

typically, teams that are involved and getting full involvement in the community go to 3 to 4 tournaments in the fall and again in the winter/spring.

costs vary greatly. hotel rooms are typically in the $75 to $125 range; entry fees are typically in the $75 to $150 per team (judging fees can be quite high so providing judging is good); travel is the cost of a van and gas--or plane tickets--$200 to $600 per person depending on where you go.

having 4ish teams is optimal from my perspective for practice rounds and for research but many schools have 1 or 2 teams and some have 6, 7, 8 even more teams.

this page may provide some additional help:
http://www.climbthemountain.us/coaches.htm

jim hanson Smiley
whitman debate forensics speech rhetoric
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: