College Policy Debate Forums
November 23, 2017, 07:55:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenny Cauthen  (Read 2086 times)
SherryHall

« on: June 08, 2016, 07:20:25 AM »

I learned yesterday that former University of Texas debater, Kenny Cauthen, passed away suddenly this week.  I do not have any of the details of what happened.  Kenny debated with Drew McNeil.  I want to express my sincere condolences to his family, the debaters that knew him as a teammate and competitor, and especially to my very good friend, his debate coach, Joel Rollins. 
SherryHall

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 07:20:50 AM »

From a post on his wall from his dad: A Memorial Service for Kenny Cauthen has been scheduled for 2:00 PM, Thursday, June 9th, at New Harmony Baptist Church near Lindale, Texas. The address is 10258 FM 724, Tyler, TX. In lieu of flowers you are invited to make a gift to The Kenny Cauthen, KDOG, Debate Scholarship Fund. An annual scholarship will be given to a young debater from Lindale HS, The University of Texas at Austin or Baylor University. More details will be provided this week about the fund.
SherryHall

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 07:21:47 AM »

From his parents:
My wife and I cannot begin to express our thanks to all of Kenny's friends, debate buds, and co-workers for the memories and thoughts you've shared. You've helped us make it through the day. Kenny had a wonderful day yesterday filled with joy and happiness. He hadn't been feeling well for a few weeks and went to the doctor two days ago. We thought all was well. He had a sudden seizure after leaving a restaurant last night and quickly passed. There will be a Memorial Service in Lindale, TX on Thursday. We will post details as soon as we know. We are still in shock. But thank you all again for your outpouring of love and support. I'm proud my son had friends like you!
SherryHall

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 07:22:37 AM »

From Joel Rollins:

To a great person, an amazing friend, and the only person I've ever known who could maintain a legitimate smile even during the most incomprehensible UTNIF practice rounds. We're sure going to miss you, Kenny Cauthen.
SherryHall

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 07:23:32 AM »

Jim Schultz
June 5 at 8:50am

What a gut punch. Kenny Cauthen passed away, suddenly, last night. Kenny was a great guy; smart and kind, with an infectious smile. While competing, he was one of the first people I would try to find to hang out with. We debated a ton, and regardless of the outcome he was always nice about it, something I truly envied, but rarely emulated. Kenny and Drew debated Vince and I at the NDT in a round that always sticks in my mind. Kenny and Drew chuckled while Vince and I had a meltdown in prep over how to split the block; we all laughed about it while waiting for the decision. I like to think somewhere Kenny and Vince are hanging out talking about that round and laughing now. My heart goes out to his friends, family, Baylor and UT debate. Rest in peace friend.
SherryHall

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 07:24:37 AM »

From Travis Cram:

Jesus that is terrible news. Kenny was always a favorite to shoot the breeze with at tournaments.
SherryHall

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 07:25:32 AM »

From Omar Guevera:

very talented debater. always a pleasure to judge and talk to. i am sorry to hear this news. my heart goes out to his family and friends.
SherryHall

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 07:26:48 AM »

What a great run Kenny and Drew had that whole season [2009-2010] at Texas. Quarters at Harvard and Texas, and many other awards... I spent over an hour today just re-reading over the Fullerton debate archives from Texas CM's 2009-2010 season. Even for those of us who watched mostly from afar that year, there are alot of memories etched into those columns of wins and losses.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: