College Policy Debate Forums
November 19, 2017, 11:53:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CEDA & ADA Caselist  (Read 5243 times)
gabemurillo

« on: July 26, 2016, 11:18:28 AM »

Hello friends,

I am excited to announce that CEDA and the ADA are collaborating to create a new case list for the college debate community. The case list is a public good and CEDA and the ADA feel that it should be maintained by the organizations that govern collegiate debate. We are very grateful for the voluntary contributions of the folks who previously hosted the case list and look forward to working with the same people to host the new college case list. The new case list will run on a more powerful server that will not only be more reliable but also be capable of supporting the case list search function. CEDA would like to thank the ADA for joining with us on this endeavor, and we look forward to the case list being up in early August.

Best
Gabe Murillo
President - Cross Examination Debate Association
palmertab

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 11:44:13 AM »

Greetings, Debatlings, from Worlds in Stuttgart Germany.  This tournament is foreign in more ways than one, let me tell you.

Since words gets out fast, I got three emails and texts about this in the last ten minutes Smiley

1) This is not wiki prolif; it's the same caselist run primarily by Hardy with an assist by me.  Right now it runs in the cloud which has proven both costly and not very powerful, which is one of the reasons why the search function is disabled.  There's a bug in the search function that interacts badly with the hosting on a cloud server, and it's at a layer in the software that we can't fix. 

So, we're moving it onto the old Tabroom.com server.  Tabroom itself moved to servers provided by the NSDA for the purpose, and since I still have the old one and it is now doing nothing, I thought this would be a good use for it.  It is a few years old but still WAY WAY more powerful than what we're using now.  It costs money to host every month, which will be paid for jointly by ADA/CEDA for college and the NDCA for the high school wikis.   The cost is much lower than the monthly cost of the current cloud setup. 

Hopefully this means we can avoid the Great Annual GSU/Greenhill Meltdown when everyone in debate posts a new aff in the period of three hours.  A boy can dream.

2) There will indeed be a new software version but it will still work with verbatim and tabroom integration and all that, and we'll maintain the historical wikis as well for previous topic years.

3)  the advantage to having ADA/CEDA pay for it is it no longer comes out of my personal pocket (good for me!) but it also officializes (if that's a word) the caselist from "this thing Hardy and Palmer do just because" to being under the umbrella of actual orgs.  Which is all to the good for CEDA, the ADA and debate as a whole I think.

We really hope this will help address some of the stability issues this coming year. 
jonahfeldman

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 11:56:49 AM »

Thanks Palmer and Hardy for all your service to the community and thanks CEDA/ADA for paying for it!
Adam Symonds

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 10:16:35 PM »

Great work all around, thanks!
gabemurillo

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 10:47:48 AM »

The caselist is up and running, same website https://opencaselist.paperlessdebate.com/

Best
gabe
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: