College Policy Debate Forums
November 20, 2017, 10:10:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bill Henderson  (Read 2438 times)
SherryHall

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 06:00:01 AM »

University of Northern Iowa -- Communication Studies

Remembering Bill Henderson

Dr. Bill Henderson, University of Northern Iowa Communication Studies emeritus faculty member, passed away on October 1, 2016, at around 1:15 a.m., at the Cedar Valley Hospice Home in Waterloo.  Bill had been an emeritus faculty member since his retirement in May 2001.

He learned of his diagnosis with cancer about four weeks ago. Late last week, Bill, along with close friends Jon and Arlene Hall and Penny O’Connor, made the decision to move from the hospital into the Cedar Valley hospice program. Bill had approximately 10 hours of their wonderful, gentle and peaceful care.  During that stay, he had visits from the Halls, the O’Connors, and Aaron Hawbaker, a former UNI Debater.

Bill served as Associate Professor (1978-2001) and Director of Forensics (1978-1993) for the Department of Communication Studies. Before Bill arrived at UNI in 1978, he taught at the University of Houston (1973-1978) (Assistant Professor), Macalester College (1971-1973) (Lecturer), University of Houston (1970-1971) (Teaching Assistant), Bellaire High School (1962-1970) (Teacher), Jones High School (1958-1962) (Teacher), and Sand Spring High School (1956-1958) (Teacher), and he worked at the United States Army Signal Corps (1954-1956) (Teletype).

Bill received his Ph.D. from the University of Minnesota in 1975, his M.A. from the University of Houston in 1971, and his B.A. from Central Oklahoma State in 1954.  He received the following honors throughout his career:  1976—Outstanding Coach Award, Emory University; 1982—Outstanding Coach Award, University of Utah; and 1983—Hall of Fame Coach, National Forensic League.

He served in many capacities while at the University of Northern Iowa, including, UNI Faculty Senator, Chairperson of College of Humanities and Fine Arts Senate, Vice Chairperson of College of Humanities and Fine Arts Senate, Graduate Academic Appeals Panel member, UNI Orientation participant, Debate Seminar Lecturer, Public Debate Services member, Saturday Workshop in Debate and Individual Events facilitator, host of the College Debate Tournaments and Brindley High School Tournaments, UNI Debate and Individual Events Workshops facilitator, IHSSA Festival committee member, UNI Wine and Dine member, UNI Parent’s Day Reception committee member, Critic for IHSSA Festival, United Faculty Central Committee member, UNI Forensics Banquet chair, and UNI Microcomputer Society member.

Bill wrote numerous articles for multiple journals, including the National Forensic Association Journal, the Journal of the American Forensic Association, Illinois Speech and Theatre Association Journal, the Iowa Journal of Speech Communication, The Surgical Technologist, and the Quarterly Journal of Speech, to name a few.  He, also, gave myriad convention presentations throughout his academic career.

Bill’s professional activities included: The Debate Clinic, The Individual Events Clinic, Treasurer of the American Forensic Association, Chair of the Liaison Council on Certification of the Surgical Technologists., Advisory Board for the American Hospital Association, and Editorial Review Board member for the Journal of the American Forensic Association, Iowa Journal of Speech Communication, and the National Forensic Association Journal.  He also served as Executive Director of the Mid-America Forensics Association.  Bill annually conducted speech and debate tournaments, and served as Director and Lecturer for the High School Debate and Individual Events Workshops for coaches and high school students. Additionally, he was Forensics Lecturer for many Debate and Individual Event workshops.

Bill’s organization activities were National Commission of Health Certifying Agencies, Texas Speech Association, Texas Interscholastic League, American Forensic Association, Texas Forensic Association, Southern Speech Association, Western Speech Association, Speech Communication Association, National Forensic League, National Forensic Association, National Debate Tournament Committee, Pi Kappa Delta, Delta Sigma Rho-Tau Kappa Alpha, Pi Rho Phi.  Bill enjoyed professional services as evaluator of ACT Student Talent Registry Service, National University Extension Association topic selection committee, Texas State Textbook Commission, textbook reviewer for various publishing houses, and judging for various state and national speech organizations.

A Celebration of Life service will be held on UNI Campus on October 23, 2016, (Bill’s birthday) in the Georgian Lounge of the Commons beginning at 2 p.m.
SherryHall

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 06:00:54 AM »

Aaron Hawbaker:

Many have already posted pictures of Bill and some incredible comments. I thought it only appropriate to honor his memory with this page. In that spirit, I will start with what appears a common theme about Bill....his driving. Many of us were fortunate to have returned from van trips unscathed. Bill's driving was the source of many a chuckle. I recall careening down a two lane highway late at night. Someone in the van said "Bill, you're driving in the middle of the road!" Without skipping a beat Bill replies "Safer that way, further from the ditches." As with everything Bill said and did, their was a glorious, if unconventional, logic. God speed Bill.
SherryHall

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 06:03:06 AM »

Doug Staudt

The driving ...

I remember a tournament trip we did to California in 1989 or 1990. We were piled, of course, in a huge van. Touring through the Hollywood Hills or somewhere.

In THAT voice, above everything else, as we drove along, "SHHH. I hear a clicking!"

"Bill, the turn signal is on."

"No, that's not it. I hear a clicking."

"Check the turn signal."

"The clicking. I hear it .... ... Oh. The blinker is on."

Click on Bill. Click on. 😢
SherryHall

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 06:29:34 AM »

Gregg Fishbein

Yes. The driving. It was always an exciting adventure with Bill behind the wheel. If you were driving with him in his car, he always believed the dashboard was a secure place to set his coffee. It didn't take too long to realize that if you didn't hold his coffee it was going to end up in your lap. My most vivid story of him driving the van was in Lincoln, Nebraska. After finishing the obligatory dinner at Spaghetti Works, we were hopelessly lost trying to find our way back to the hotel. Bill didn't care. He had his window down, his head was out the window, and he was yelling and singing quite loudly about all of our intentions to rape and pillage the good people of Lincoln. Such was Bill. I also remember him taking us to Macalester one year when it was 40 below zero. There was no plug in available for his car so he and I had to take turns going outside all night long to start his car every hour. He was convinced that was the only way to make sure that we would make it back to the tournament.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: