College Policy Debate Forums
November 18, 2017, 03:54:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Gregg Hartney  (Read 6262 times)
SherryHall

« on: October 25, 2016, 06:08:33 PM »

Just learned of the passing of Gregg Hartney.  He started his coaching career in Texas where he had a major impact on both Joel Rollins and me as high school debaters.  He later moved to Oklahoma where he was a major force in high school debate in Oklahoma for many years.

Brit McCabe posted this:

Today the debate community and Oklahoma lost an icon in the world of forensics.
Gregg Hartney was killed this morning in an automobile accident in Tulsa. Gregg retired from Jenks High School in 2015. Prior to teaching at Jenks, he was the coach at Charles Page High School in Sand Springs. Prior to coming to Oklahoma, Gregg taught in Texas.
After retirement, Gregg continued to work with the Tulsa Debate League in Tulsa bringing debate and forensics to the inner city schools.
The number of lives he touched over those years cannot be totaled. He was my (our) friend and he will be sorely missed by all. Our hearts go out to his wife, Kathryn and daughters, Hannah and Leah, pictured with her dad.
SherryHall

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 06:10:13 PM »

Robin Kemp Robinson

Gregg was the best of all of us. We can only hope to leave the kind of legacy this giant of a man has left. He created the future of debate in Oklahoma and was just one hell of a nice man. It's just not fair.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:54:26 PM by SherryHall » Logged
SherryHall

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 06:10:46 PM »

Just learned that Gregg Hartney was killed in a car accident this morning. When I was a debater at Plano Sr. High School, Gregg was a young coach at Irving High School. He judged me a lot and took an interest in helping me get better as a debater. While many judges would direct all of their comments, either orally or on the ballot to my partner and the male debaters in the round, Gregg always talked to me about ways to get better. In 1983 he left Texas for a job in Oklahoma where he coached until he retired a few years ago. I have maintained a friendship with him over the years, and am heartbroken to hear of his passing tonight. My thoughts are with his family.
SherryHall

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 06:11:25 PM »

From Joel Rollins:

RIP Gregg Hartney. For those of you that haven't heard, Gregg was killed in a car accident this morning near Tulsa. I don't have more information but will pass it on as I receive it. This one hurts a great deal. Although he had "retired", he was active, vibrant, and still a force for promoting debating. Gregg is the reason that I am in debate. He was my first debate coach, my mentor, and my friend. I am going to miss him. My thoughts are with his family. Peace and love.
SherryHall

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 06:11:54 PM »

David Breshears

Damn. Just damn. That's a big, big loss. So sorry Joel, and Eli, and everyone else I know who grew up under Gregg's big wings.
SherryHall

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 06:12:21 PM »

Lucy Holsonbake

I'm so sorry, Joel- mentors like that are such tough losses. Love and hugs!
SherryHall

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 06:12:43 PM »

Gregg Fishbein

Oh no. He was such a good guy.
SherryHall

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 06:23:30 PM »

Gabriel Murillo

Devastated by the news of Gregg Hartney's passing. I'll never forget how much care he demonstrated for his students. I remember his compassion and concern when I went with him to the hospital to get to a student who was taken there during a tournament hosted at OU. I will always remember and cherish his intense passion for debate and particularly debate in Oklahoma. Gregg was always one of the people I would seek out at tournaments to chat with, out of respect and because he always had a great story to tell. Gregg was wise, frank and humble, with a personality that has no equal. My thoughts and love go to his family, friends and the entire debate community in Oklahoma. A true legend was lost today.

"Leave the world a little bit better than you found it." Gregg Hartney gave all of his students this advice every year at his annual awards banquet. Gregg left the world - and all of us - today not just better, but completely different. Few of us will have the remarkable impact that our program manager, our coach, our mentor, and our friend had on the lives of other people. He dedicated more than 40 years of his life to speech, debate, and, above all, to public service. We miss and love you Coach.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:12:19 PM by SherryHall » Logged
SherryHall

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 06:24:05 PM »

Andy Casey‎

Gregg Hartney was my first (and I think 6th) debate coach at Sand Springs and Jenks. At my age I know i'm not easy to deal with, I can only imagine how awful it was to deal with me at ages 13 and 17. But he helped teach me and hundreds if not thousands of others how to find their voice. Thank you for all of your care and guidance. My condolences to everyone affected by this tragedy.
SherryHall

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 06:24:26 PM »

Danny L Martinez‎

Hey Gregg, sorry you left early, when I leave , i will catch up with you and we we can play a game of chess. I know i cannot out debate you, but I can give you a run for your money on the chess board.

See you when I see you
SherryHall

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 06:24:53 PM »

Nathan Napier

Gregg Hartney was an incredibly important figure not only because he helped to shape my political identity or molded me into the confident speaker I am today, but because he touched so many lives over the years as both an educator and a mentor. You will be dearly missed, coach.
SherryHall

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 06:25:33 PM »

Beth Evans‎

We are all heartbroken by the sad news today, Gregg Hartney; you will be missed terribly. From all of us, know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers. I know how much he loved his family, and my heart goes out to you today as you deal with this devastation.
SherryHall

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 06:26:14 PM »

Michael Ferguson

So very sad to hear about the untimely passing of Mr. Gregg Hartney. Even though I only competed in IE events in high school, I could tell the incredible amount of work and dedication he put in as a coach, at Cameron Debate Camp, and with the Urban Debate League. He is one of the many in whose footsteps I am now following in the world of coaching forensics. He will be missed.
SherryHall

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 06:26:52 PM »

Aaron Kaspereit

The debate community lost an absolute giant. No one was more helpful to me when I was thrust into the world of policy debate. And I also knew I could always count on a respectful debate with him regardless the topic. Gregg Hartney, you will be greatly missed.
SherryHall

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 06:29:54 PM »

Matt J Stannard

Oh my god.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: