College Policy Debate Forums
November 21, 2017, 06:02:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Gregg Hartney  (Read 6336 times)
SherryHall

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2016, 07:54:34 AM »

Bryan Gaston

Gregg Hartney death yesterday is such a tragic and sad thing...not only because Gregg's family and friends will miss his presence so much but also because he still had work to do. His influence and impact on debate in Oklahoma will never be forgotten. When Gregg retired from Jenks high school a few years ago he continued his labor of love by putting in lots of work with the emerging Tulsa UDL program. Gregg was not finished working, not finished helping students fall in love debate, not finished fighting to make things better for as many students in Oklahoma as possible, not finished talking politics, not finished telling the younger coaches and judges stories from debates old days, and he was not finished loving his family, friends, and the Oklahoma debate community. We will miss you Gregg and try our best to carry on the work that is not finished...
SherryHall

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2016, 07:56:17 AM »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/state/retired-jenks-high-school-speech-teacher-dies-in-head-on/article_5aeb0f97-6ea3-534a-9c7a-da40e9884154.html

Retired Jenks High School speech teacher dies in head-on collision with truck

Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 12:01 am | Updated: 1:27 am, Wed Oct 26, 2016.

By Paris Burris Tulsa World | 0 comments

A former Jenks High School teacher died Tuesday morning after crashing head-on into a tractor-trailer on Oklahoma 33 southwest of Mannford.

Gregg Hartney, 66, was driving west on the highway around 9 a.m. when his 2008 Kia Rondo crossed the center line and crashed into an eastbound 2005 Freightliner, said Dwight Durant, Oklahoma Highway Patrol spokesman.

Hartney was pronounced dead at the scene, Dwight said.

The truck driver, identified in an OHP report as 42-year-old Cushing resident Joe Hogrefe, was not injured.

The collision occurred less than a mile east of 369th West Avenue, about seven miles south and two miles west of Mannford, the OHP reported.

Hartney retired from teaching speech and debate at Jenks High School in May 2015, said Bonnie Rogers, Jenks Public Schools spokeswoman.
SherryHall

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2016, 07:56:47 AM »

Howard Kim‎

Still can't believe that you are really gone. Gregg Hartney, you will be missed as a debate coach, mentor, and friend. Your greatest happiness always came from seeing us succeed, and even in the midst of your own hard times all you could talk about is how proud you were of your students. Thank you Hartney for leading and inspiring us.
SherryHall

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2016, 07:58:01 AM »

Ashley Bowser

Today was a rough day and it is hard to describe, but the world lost a great man today.

Gregg Hartney gave me the one piece of marriage advice that I routinely live by - "Always bring the list back home." Every time, I grocery shop, I bring the list back home and I think of him.

He was a man with a story . . . Always a story and I probably had heard it before. But that never really diminished the value of hearing it again. Some stories (like his days at Pizza Inn), I won't forget.

Politically, we didn't agree on a whole lot, but he told me something that really meant a lot to me the last time we talked - that he would be willing to work on my campaign. I'm sorry that I missed that chance.

I'll end where I have ended tonight: in my bedroom, there is a wedding picture of my wife in a signature frame. In that frame is one more piece of advice that I always try to live by....

There's no split decision here: Gregg, you will be missed!
SherryHall

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2016, 07:59:55 AM »

Tim Quinn

Great tribute Chief. I will remember Gregg as an advocate for the quality of debate in high school in Kansas. He was always a big supporter of KCKCC tourney as well.
SherryHall

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2016, 08:00:58 AM »

Jessica Eileen Nichols-Abel

He was a special soul. That dedicated his life to children. I had the pleasure of having as a judge, as an employer, as cohort in the speech and debate world. You will be missed my friend.
SherryHall

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2016, 08:02:06 AM »

Hailey Faith McDuffie

He was one of a kind. I left debate for drama in high school, but in the short time I was in his class he had quite an impact on me and I've watched for twenty years the impact he's had on my brother's life both through SS debate to working side by side with him on the Tulsa Debate League. Gregg left the world a much better place, I am deeply saddened by this loss.
SherryHall

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2016, 01:49:45 PM »

Tulsa Debate League

Services for Gregg Hartney will be held on Sunday, October 30th at 1 pm at the Jenks High School Performing Arts Center, 398 West F Street, Jenks, OK 74037. All are welcome.
SherryHall

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2016, 05:00:29 PM »

Michael Patterson

I’ve been thinking about what to say here for the last 24 hours and of course the irony is that those of us who make a living teaching people how to use words are at a loss for them now.
Also, it’s hard to add something original here. Gregg’s imprint on his students and fellow coaches was such that so many of them have already taken the time to express themselves. That’s a lot of really good thinkers and writers.

Everything you need to know about Gregg’s professional life can be find here in various threads where so many of us who knew him have taken the time to note his passing. All those kids and former kids and coaches and former kids that are now coaches. That’s a legacy that speaks volumes.

Gregg loved a story. How many times have you seen someone mention those since yesterday? So…Here’s my favorite Hartney story:

Gregg used to edit a CX evidence handbook every year and I always got a couple. He’d often include an essay at the beginning of the book that would have some topic analysis and sometimes some theory stuff.

One year, we cut some of the theory stuff (I think it was about inherency…so, that tells you that’s this story happened more than a few years ago). Later that same year, I had a second year team that drew Hartney as a judge for some prelim round. I went to my boys and told them to run the theory argument and read Hartney to Hartney. I thought it’d be hilarious.
Well, Gregg dropped my kids and when I found out, I went to him to ask about it. Now, keep in mind, I always loved having Gregg judge my kids because I knew they were going to get a fair shot and a good, educational ballot…usually with some humor.
So, I found him told him I thought we’d have the round in the bag since we were reading him to him. He laughed and told me he couldn’t vote on those cards because he knew the author was full of **it. We both laughed really, really hard. I’ll bet you all can hear his laugh in your head right now.

Gregg was a great coach and educator and, as many have already said, changed the course of an uncountable number of lives. I aspire to be the kind of positive influence on lives that he was.

His passing leaves a giant void in our community that no one can replace.

To Kathryn, Hannah and Leah...know, without reservation, that Gregg was loved and respected by an immense network of people including me.

We can't know your loss, but we can share it and in doing so, perhaps ease this time for you if even for a moment.
SherryHall

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2016, 05:01:23 PM »

Eric Lanning

Gregg was an amazing person who spent his life promoting speech and debate. A role model in every sense of the words. I am a better person for having known him. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends, colleagues and of course the countless students to whom he made a difference. Rest In Peace.

I can't emphasize enough that he went out of his way to teach me even though I was competing against his teams. He stayed in touch. He was one of the good ones.
SherryHall

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »

National Speech and Debate Association:

We are deeply saddened at the news of the passing of long-time coach Gregg Hartney. Gregg dedicated more than 50 years to speech and debate. He was a six-diamond coach from Tulsa, OK who coached many state champions and national qualifiers over the years. He impacted thousands of young people through his passion for speech and debate education and activities. He was an amazing coach, friend, teacher, and mentor to us all. Our thoughts and prayers are with his friends and loved ones.

Services will be held Sunday (Oct. 30th) at 1:00PM at the Jenks High School Performing Arts Center in Jenks, OK.
SherryHall

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2016, 05:03:48 PM »

Aldon Stone

It seems the Oklahoma debate community and the world in general has lost another amazing soul, and it's heartbreaking. It's been years and years since I've seen Gregg Hartney, but I will always remember his attitude toward life and coaching, his stories with Brit and Michael Patterson from debate years gone by, and most of all, that ear-to-ear grin he carried at all times. You will be missed. May you rest peacefully, and may your family find peace and solace in the love from the community he spent so long nurturing.
SherryHall

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2016, 05:04:19 PM »

Christian Jones

If not for Gregg Hartney, I would not be a debate coach today.

Before my freshmen year of high school, I wanted to get better at debate. So I attended the Charles Page HS debate camp directed by Gregg Hartney That was where I first truly learned how to debate. As I went through high school, Hartney, and his former students, judged my debate rounds. Through those critiques I learned how to debate better. Specifically, I remember loving Hartney as a judge, not because he always voted for us, because he didn't, but because his ballots were always a novel of things we could work on and get better. As high school was ending for me, I decided I wanted to coach debate. I went to Hartney for advice. He told me the story of how he got into coaching. When I was in college and returning from my hiatus with respect to debate, Hartney welcomed me and hired me to judge and to teach at Cameron Debate Camp. When I applied for my first coaching job, at a school he used to work at and always had a soft spot for, CPHS, he wrote me a glowing recommendation. In my first year coaching, I would sometimes call him up several times a week to get his take on whatever challenge I was facing that week. He always took my calls. He always treated me with respect. He always treated everyone I saw him interact with with respect. Throughout this whole time, I have always enjoyed just sitting and talking to him. Sure, I have heard some of his stories 100 times, but it didn't matter because he was telling them. Gregg Hartney was not my coach, but he will remain the yardstick by which I measure success as a coach. If I have a fraction of the positive influence on the lives of people around me as Hartney did on the people he taught, then I will consider myself a success.
SherryHall

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2016, 05:04:49 PM »

Michelle McCain Johnson

"If I have a fraction of the positive influence on the lives of people around me as Hartney did on the people he taught, then I will consider myself a success." No truer words my friend. I've seen your work up close Christian Jones...you honor him every, single day.
SherryHall

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2016, 05:05:07 PM »

Deb Chymiak-Isanhart

While it will take a while for the tears and sadness to ease, remember each class you teach or debate you are involved in is a way of keeping his memory alive. His light continues through you. Blessings to you and all those missing him today. Big hug (sisters are allowed to type that).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: