College Policy Debate Forums
October 22, 2018, 04:35:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USC Alan Nichols Elim Bracket - Follow-up  (Read 1061 times)
stables
Administrator

« on: January 05, 2017, 04:09:31 PM »

As we move through the elimination rounds at the 2017 USC Alan Nichols tournament I wanted to take a public opportunity to address an important matter that was raised with regard to the number of teams who cleared to the doubles.

Our tournament planning had operated under the working assumption that those teams who  had won more debates than they had lost would advance to elimination rounds. Toward that end our tournament invitation used the phrase “teams with a winning record." We followed that plan and advanced the top 28 teams (all who won at least 4 debates).

After hearing from coaches we can appreciate that there are some conflicting approaches and perspectives on the matter. We also learned that these interpretations have been raised at other competitions and this involves multiple organizational point systems. We are certainly reviewing our tournament practice and it may be valuable for additional community engagement, especially at a time of declining participation levels.

Ultimately, I bear personal responsibility for any ambiguity and confusion with regard to our intended tournament practice and how this was implemented. I understand that the relevant organizations may have to evaluate tournament this practice against their point rules.

I can thank our great colleagues for highlighting that regardless of my mistakes, the most important step moving forward is to ensure that in addition to the 28 talented teams who participated in elims, we also recognize those next four teams, who would have cleared in a full doubles.

Kansas CB (Cook & Birzer)
Wake Forest DM (Dean & Munoz)
George Mason BH (Brown & Hansen)
Indiana HF(Hoffman & Ferguson)

Thanks to everyone who attended!

Gordon

Gordon Stables
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
Director of Debate & Forensics
Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism
University of Southern California
Pages: [1]