College Policy Debate Forums
November 18, 2017, 07:43:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2017-18 Topic Committee work is underway!  (Read 570 times)
Hester

« on: February 03, 2017, 04:33:25 PM »

With the first weekend in February upon us, it's not too early to start thinking (and talking) about the 2017-18 Resolution, and the Topic Process that precedes its manifestation over the next 5 months.

And with large numbers from across the nation gathering this weekend, as well as regional gatherings at district tournaments right around the corner, now is the perfect time to consider and discuss with your friends, colleagues, and/or adversaries what the Topic Area & Resolution could/should be.

Futire deadlines for submission of Topic Area papers are still many weeks away, but i do want to provide some advice to those for whom writing a Topic Area paper is on their to-do list...

When scavenging from the carcasses of previous Topic Area Papers, it would be wise to prioritize those cards/arguments that come closest to making sense in a world in which Donald Trump is POTUS. Evaluation of any Topic Area paper will inevitably require wondering how the debates generated by its Resolution play out in the Status Quo of 2017-18. Authors that account for this calculation are more likely to produce a favorably received idea than those who merely regurgitate chunks of prior Topic Area papers without addressing the orange elephant in the room.

The Topic Committee is appreciative of and will welcome submissions from any interested contributors regardless of whether this advice is heeded.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: