College Policy Debate Forums
November 20, 2017, 10:05:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CEDA Nationals and the California Travel Ban  (Read 1062 times)
gabemurillo

« on: February 09, 2017, 11:55:37 AM »

Greetings CEDA Members,

I think it is important to be transparent and update everybody on CEDA and the California Travel Ban. I want to start by saying with absolute clarity that I am excited to be hosting CEDA at Johnson County Community College. Justin Stanley and the JCCC crew have been nothing but amazing in the last month. I am confident they will be excellent hosts and go above and beyond to assure the highest level of hospitality to CEDA Members.

That being said there is obviously a level of disappointment in hosting a tournament that is inaccessible to beloved CEDA members. The most I can say is we tried, the delay in our invite is because we were attempting to move hosts a few miles out of Kansas. It was an excellent solution and I am grateful for everyone who worked hard to make it a possibility, but it needed everything to work out perfectly. Unfortunately, it didnít work despite our best efforts. I understand peopleís anger; I understand being upset. I fully accept this as my failure. Iíve learned a lot in this process that I think will be relevant to all future hosting considerations. I should have watched the political climate in Kansas more closely, if I had we would have had more time to consider alternatives. I should have checked for travel bans in the works in various states, if I had we would have had more time to react. I should have been more cognoscente of how the quickly changing political climate would affect travel decisions. There are new realities developing that affect interstate travel, and I was behind on understanding the impact they would have. CEDA as an organization will do better, but I failed in my duties of President on this one.

There are two things I will do to try to help make up for my failure to provide a CEDA that is accessible to all members. First, I will be working with California schools to host a CEDA California Championship that will provide those students with the end of the year tournament they deserve. Second, the final set of documents I will sign as CEDA President will include letters to all states listed in the California travel ban, as well as states that have passed or are considering similar bills. These letters will urge those states to reverse or not pass their discriminatory legislation.  I am not naÔve, I understand that these letters will not change the path of legislation, but I feel it is important for CEDA to make our opinion known.

We will post the full invite and open the tournament on tabroom today. I sincerely apologize for the delay; I hope people understand the motivation for delay and are willing to work to meet some fast-approaching deadlines.

Best,
Gabe Murillo
President Ė Cross Examination Debate Association
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:58:46 AM by gabemurillo » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: