College Policy Debate Forums
November 18, 2017, 01:41:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking input regarding Topic Committee process  (Read 444 times)
Hester

« on: April 03, 2017, 11:24:57 AM »

Seeking feedback regarding Topic Committee (TC) procedures.
Last year, there were nine topic area papers submitted. The TC read all the papers, discussed the merits of each, and had six of those placed on the Topic Area ballot. There was constructive criticism from some that the TC should not limit what goes on the Topic Area ballot, but instead place on the ballot every topic area for which there was a paper submitted.

The CEDA Constitution does not specify how the TC is act in this circumstance. My assumption last year was that since the Topic Committee should perform a 'filter' role in the creation of the Topic Area ballot, but that need not be the case. As the chair, i could simply create a hard due date and all papers that are submitted by that deadline would make the ballot.

The TC welcomes comments in hopes of discovering a community consensus on this question. Would you prefer that any Topic Area paper that is submitted on time make the Topic Area Ballot?

In any year, the TC considers the Topic Area paper that is selected to be a guide for the creation of resolution wordings for the Resolution Ballot that will be voted on in July. The TC is willing to go beyond the limits of the Topic Area paper when there is a consensus that doing so would best serve the process. In a scenario where the TC plays no filter role in deciding what papers make the Topic Area Ballot, that editorial prerogative will likely be slightly bolder (but it exists regardless of whether filtering occurs in the Topic Area stage).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: