College Policy Debate Forums
November 24, 2017, 06:04:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad news - Dr. Chester Gibson  (Read 430 times)
Hester

« on: April 22, 2017, 09:56:40 AM »

Dr. Chester Gibson has passed away.
Arrangements for services have not been determined yet. When they have, i'll post those details here and on the facebook page.

For those of you who don't know him, he is the reason you know anything about West Georgia Debate. He came to Carrollton in 1970, fresh off earning his graduate degrees at UGA. WG Debate had functionally been a student club for most of its then-40+ year existence. Within three years of his arrival, West Georgia had earned an NDT First Round, and within his first 12 years as Director, West Georgia had reached the NDT semifinals, had a 2nd place speaker at the NDT, a 2nd place ranked FRALB team (btw, the reason we call the top FRALB 'the Copeland' winner is also because of Chester, but that's a story for later), and won numerous national tournaments. It is not an exaggeration to say that the last half-century of West Georgia being one of the top debate programs in the nation - every trophy, every champion, every success - Chester Gibson is responsible for it. i was the first member of my family to go to college - because Dr. Gibson offered me a free ride, which was the only way i was going to afford any school. i became the DoD at West Georgia College in 1995 because Dr. Gibson pulled me aside my senior year and told me that if i would go get a master's, he'd hire me to coach the team. When i was the recipient of the Ziegelmueller Award at the NDT this year, my first thoughts were how much of an honor it was to be associated with George Ziegelmueller, and how cool it was that Dr. Gibson had been one of the first recipients of that award when it was created. Through Tabroom, he still followed the results of every tournament UWG competed at, closely enough to know when we got pulled up and which teams we were fortunate enough to avoid in elims.

From the watch given to the NDT champion coach to the standard for what is considered top-notch tournament hospitality to the very existence of West Georgia Debate and so many other things, Dr. Chester Gibson has left an indelible mark on our activity. i can say without any reservation that no person has ever loved the activity of debate more than Dr. Chester Gibson.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: