College Policy Debate Forums
November 21, 2017, 06:00:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Skip Eno  (Read 2284 times)
SherryHall

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 10:06:19 AM »

Joe Bellon

What a truly lovely human being. Skip was often a calm moment in the storm of a debate tournament. I am so very sad to hear of his passing.
SherryHall

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 10:20:26 AM »

Gina Lane:
Skip Eno was one of my first coaching friends in debate. He was a professor of english and Director of Debate at UTSA. He constantly fought battles for his students and for his program, selflessly gave his time and his money to help out his debaters, and was just one of the most genuine, wonderful people you will ever meet. Always quick to smile. That old saying, "he would give you the shirt off his back" was written for Skip. Rest in peace, friend.
SherryHall

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 10:22:32 AM »

Sam Maurer:

Skip Eno was a great coach, advocate for his students, and a caring person. I will sincerely miss talking with him at tournaments and the warm presence he brought to the debate community. My thoughts are with the many folks who are feeling this tremendous loss. RIP Skip.
SherryHall

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2017, 10:30:17 AM »

Marquis Williams

RIP to the man that helped sharpen my debate and public speaking skills. I've learned so much from you Skip, may you forever rest in peace, my friend. Farewell.
SherryHall

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2017, 10:30:54 AM »

UTSA Debate Team:

It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of Director Skip Eno. Skip worked tirelessly for UTSA debate for three decades. His love for debate and the program was truly life long. Our thoughts are with his family.
SherryHall

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2017, 10:31:54 AM »

Tom Murphy

With the news that Skip Eno passed away, I felt prompted to say something about my relatively short career coaching debate and directing forensics programs. Coaching debate was my first love. When Bruce Donisthorpe passed away about a year ago, I started thinking about those I knew who have left this world--Tuna Snider, Mark DeLoach, Doug Duke, Greg Simerly, Russ Church, Al Johnson--and their influence on me. In some ways, everything I was as a debate coach was the cumulative effect of great debate coaches--watching their teams, talking to them between rounds, talking to their students, going to dinner or late night parties, reading their articles, exchanging e-mails, telephone calls, etc. In ten years, I got a lifetime of memories. I miss all of them. And, of course, there's Vernon "Mac" McGuire. I can't put into words what he meant to me, but many of you know what he meant to the debate world. I hope that all of you have or will have influences like these in your lives.
SherryHall

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 10:32:31 AM »

Rodger Biles

What a pantheon of greats you include on your list. Doug was like a father, Greg and Mark were brothers. I wish many of our contemporaries, Tom, could have known Vernon McGuire. He along with other dearly departed coaches such as ValGene Littlefield and H Francis Short from that era were powerful influences. My coach, CW Mangrum was the biggest influence on my life of anyone outside of my family.

To me, the power and influence of coaches is part of what makes debate such a special part of our lives.
SherryHall

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2017, 10:34:05 AM »

Christopher Thomas

I've tried to write this post about Skip a handful of times and every time I just delete what I've written because it doesn't seem to do him justice. Or, maybe, it means I have to acknowledge he is gone. Everyone seems to talk about a unique bond they had with Skip and I was no different. That's just skip--he had a way of seeing the world with you no matter your differences with him. I had planned on writing a letter to Skip this fall as I was finishing my dissertation, applying for jobs, and getting ready to graduate. I wanted to let him know how much he meant to me. I only have a draft of the letter, so I apologize for its quality, but I wanted to post this part I found when I was re-reading it this morning:

Without being too long winded, let me just say this: thank you. You provided me an opportunity to get a college education, to travel and see places I would never see, and to do it with some of the best people I’ve ever met in life. Beyond that though, you display a sense of character that I try to emulate in my own teaching and coaching. You are a father figure to me, someone I continually try to make proud through my actions, my politics, and my success. I love you like a member of my own family and—fair warning—that means I may hit you up for some extra money or a bed to sleep in when passing through town. It also means that we will forever be connected because family isn’t always blood but the people in your life who want you in theirs, who accept you for who you are, and love you no matter what. I can’t say that about many people, but you are certainly within that small circle and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
SherryHall

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 10:34:53 AM »

Matt Reichle

Skip Eno. Best coach I ever had. Best man I ever met. Thank you for setting a silly young dad straight. For believing in me and helping me put my life back together. For the advice and the long van rides. For Van Morrison moondances on tables before rounds. For Luby's and instigating fights. For sticking up for your debaters. But really. Honestly, thank you for your love and friendship. You are missed but these are merely our selfish human desires. Sending peace and love.. to my silver hippy friend... out into the ether.
SherryHall

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2017, 10:35:34 AM »

Jackie Massey

Skip was great. He changed a lot of lives. Sorry man. I know you were close!
SherryHall

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 10:36:26 AM »

Heather Sands Golladay

I am at a loss and am soo sorry to hear this -- skip was such a special soul -- i can see his smile as i type this -- he was really a wonderful person that impacted and influenced many but more importantly (at least for me) he was someone who just made you smile and felt welcome -- that is such a special gift --
SherryHall

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 10:37:09 AM »

Kate Richey

I came to UTSA after dropping out of a private Christian college (and dropping out of Christianity) and at the time I felt deeply that I was a nobody from nowhere with nothing to offer. I didn't know what to study, who to be, or where to go and debate was the only thing in my life that meant anything. Skip lead a UTSA debate team comprised of weirdos, burn-outs and adult students on their third second-chances. Think Bad News Bears but with more swears/mental illness. I was working double shifts at shitty restaurants, babysitting rich peoples children, and taking a full course load+ to get through school. Finding time for debate wasn't easy, but no matter what, Skip wanted us at tournaments and he did everything in his power to make that happen. He wasn't an easy person, but he was the best person. He could argue with you until he was blue in the face but he would also argue for you with his every breath. Skip believed in his debaters when nobody else would and he saw the best in the most difficult people. As his health has failed more and more over the years, I was so happy to be back in the debate community and have the opportunity to spend a little more time with him. Skip loved to talk, loved to argue, loved to genuinely laugh when things were genuinely funny (Skip could always see the joke), and he loved his people. I am so sad today, but when I think of what he stood for and what he taught me - I feel a little bit stronger (Thinking of you Marty Golando, Jeremy Stevens)
SherryHall

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 10:37:51 AM »

Andrea WS

Skip was one of the first debate coaches/judges I ever knew. I was a junior in college and a novice debater for Cameron University, so we went to a few of the same tournaments as UTSA. Eventually Jason and I transferred and went to more tournaments and I became a better debater, but Skip always had the same kind, interested personality no matter what school I went to or what my debate skills were. He was a teacher in all regards. It has been awhile since I've seen Skip. But he is someone you never forget. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Kate. It's a sad day for debate.
SherryHall

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2017, 10:38:19 AM »

Justin Green

Sending my love out to UTSA Debate Team and the family of Skip Eno. May his love for his family, students and fellow educators be contagious for many years to come. Very thankful for the many 15 minute impromptu mentorship meetings. Much love
SherryHall

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2017, 10:38:51 AM »

Chris Crowe

My heart is very heavy tonight. I shared a particular kinship with Skip Eno and no one else. We were the only debaters to be both Cheyenne East Thunderbirds and UTSA Road Runners. I have been lucky to have many mentors, including Skip, and I ache with, miss, and love my Roadrunner family tonight.

RIP, Skip. You are a legend.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: