College Policy Debate Forums
November 18, 2017, 01:48:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jamie Woodard  (Read 630 times)
SherryHall

« on: June 30, 2017, 02:33:16 PM »

Alysia Cockrell Davis

My friend Jamie Woodard passed away on Monday. He was a freshman my senior year in college, and was a great addition to the Mercer debate team. I called him by his middle name (Ponder) as often as I called him by his first name, and for some reason he always called me Alysia-Person. It was such a pleasure to watch him grow as an intellectual over the years, given that so many of our early conversations were long philosophical discussions (in the manner that only debaters can do). He was also kind and generous and always genuinely concerned about me. I haven't seen him in person in a long time, but we've kept in touch. Our last conversation was earlier this month when we talked about the wacky decor in a restaurant he ate in... an innocuous conversation that will now mean so much. I'll miss you, Ponder. xoxo, your Alysia-Person
SherryHall

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 02:33:49 PM »

Veronica Guevara

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this news. So many great memories of Jamie at regional D6 shin digs. He was always such a sweet soul. What a loss.
SherryHall

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 02:34:24 PM »

Shawn Whalen

The world is down one more good guy. Peace to you Jamie.
SherryHall

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 02:34:45 PM »

James Herndon

My friend, roommate, teammate, and debate coach Jamie Woodard passed away on Monday. He opened my eyes to so much in the world. Jamie was always passionate about life, talking, and arguing.
When I first became a debate coach at Chattahoochee HS, Jamie took time off from his law practice on the weekends to travel and judge for the squad. He said he wanted to be a part of my first team. He was one of the first people to make me think I was doing a good job. He always brought me confidence through his friendship.
I will miss him dearly.
SherryHall

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 02:38:03 PM »

James Herndon

Lot of people have messaged me asking about Jamie Woodard's services or just to send me condolences. It feels odd, because while we were like brothers for a while, we had drifted apart. Something Jamie would talk about whenever we got together was his work with The Trevor Project. So, if you knew jamie and can't make it down to Waycross, GA for the services, I'm sure he would have spent the afternoon talking to you about it. So, feel free to visit, and talk to someone about what they provide.
SherryHall

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 02:42:43 PM »

Obituary
Mr. Jamie Ponder Woodard, 37, passed away Monday (June 26, 2017) at his residence in Decatur, GA.

A resident of Atlanta, Jamie is a native of Waycross, GA where he graduated third in the 1997 Ware Magnet School Class. He was born July 30, 1979 and was the only child of James D. Woodard, Jr. and Angelia Ponder Woodard. Affiliated with the Baptist faith, Jamie was an avid reader, trivia guru, and he loved to cook.

Jamie graduated summa cum laude from Mercer University in 2000 with a degree in Political Science as well as one in Communication and Theater Arts. In 2003, he graduated cum laude from Mercer Law School where he was both editor of Law Review and a member of the Moot Court Board. Jamie began practicing law in Atlanta in 2003 at Swift, Currie, McGhee & Hiers, LLC, and later joined the Wellborn & Walace, LLC, becoming a named partner in Wellborn, Wallace & Woodard LLC in 2008. Just recently, Jamie opened his own law firm, Woodard Law Firm, LLC. Jamie’s practice includes the representation of diverse entities and individuals in a wide variety of civil litigation including complex, multi-party litigation in federal and state courts throughout the United States. A large amount of Jamie’s experience for the last 10 years has been in Intellectual Property as well as Employment and Fiduciary Law.

His accomplishments include substantial experience as lead counsel in Business, IP Technology, and Insurance Litigation Matters, gained invaluable experience as defense litigator, J.D. (Cum Laude) from Mercer University, B.A. (Summa Cum Laude) in Political Science & Stategic Communicaiton from Mercer University, selected as a 2016 Georgia Rising Star, AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, named a 2017 Georgia Rising Star by Atlanta Magazine, Member of Stonewall Bar Association, and member of State Bar of Georgia Committee on Technology.

Jamie is preceded in death by his maternal grandparents, Harry and Edith Ponder; paternal grandparents, James D. Woodard, Sr. and Irene Woodard; one aunt, Sharon K. Justice; and one uncle, Billy Joe Woodard.

Survivors include his parents, James David “Jimmy Woodard, Jr. and Angelia Ponder Woodard of Waycross; one aunt, Ann Woodard Webb of Fernandina Beach, FL; and numerous cousins and other relatives.

A funeral service will be held 10 a.m. Thursday (July 6, 2017) at the Music Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in Oakland Cemetery. The family will receive friends 5 until 7 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home.

In lieu of flowers, please consider a memorial gift to Mercer University School of Law for the Class of 2003 Scholarship Fund, 1501 Mercer University Drive, Macon, Georgia 31207.

Sympathy may be expressed by signing the online registry at www.musicfuneralhome.com.

To send flowers or a remembrance gift to the family of Jamie Woodard, please visit our Tribute Store.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: