College Policy Debate Forums
November 20, 2017, 07:49:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New college debate team at the University of Arkansas-Fayetteville  (Read 822 times)
ragulm

« on: July 23, 2017, 06:55:36 PM »

Hello! My name is Ragul Manoharan, and a friend and I have started a Speech and Debate Society at the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville. I did policy debate in high school at Little Rock Central in Little Rock, Arkansas. I'm currently in charge of setting up the policy debate side of the team and was wondering if anyone had some advice for me. I'm currently confused on how to get evidence for the new topic if there's a debate camp for college kids (I went to UMICH for 2 summers and loved it!), if there are any funding out there for new debate programs etc. Basically, any advice would be very helpful!!!
nryan

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 05:13:45 PM »

Welcome,

First let me start by saying if you need any help feel free to send me an email at nryan2wc @ gmail [Dot] com . There is only one exclusively college debate camp, the Arizona Debate Institute (ADI)  https://arizonadebateinstitute.com/ and they offer their files typically for free to new programs. The American Debate Association has a novice packet as well, that will be posted at https://americandebateblog.wordpress.com/ when its put together. Most tournaments will love to help you out to get traveling in your first few years, including reduced/eliminated entry fees, hired judging etc, just contact the host, or if you need to know who to contact feel free to ask.

Nick Ryan
Liberty Debate
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:16:58 PM by nryan » Logged
ragulm

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 05:17:51 PM »

Thanks for the information! I don't know much about college tournaments and was wondering if there were certain tournaments that would be good to go to for new teams?
nryan

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 05:26:39 PM »

I cant think of a single program that wouldn't offer some form of help to get you to a tournament.

The tournaments that I know are scheduled this year that are close you to are:

UMKC - Sep 16-18
Emporia State - October 13-15
University of Central Oklahoma - November 3-5

There will be more, those are just the ones with the date on the calendar at the moment.
DevenC

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 11:00:28 PM »

A good tournament to go to for new teams would be in February.. Winter at the Beach at CSU Long Beach , we have all three divisions. Here is the link http://winteratthebeach.tabroom.com   !!
adenney

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 07:40:40 PM »

The Texas Two Step in January could be good, I'm not sure the distance, but probably driveable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: