College Policy Debate Forums
November 21, 2017, 06:06:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Broward card  (Read 555 times)
dstrauss13

« on: August 01, 2017, 03:44:29 PM »

It has unfortunately come to my attention that a card was turned out for the SDI and HSS by MSU that is fabricated and illegitimate.  For reference, the card, from "Broward" is included at the bottom of this email.

1) We request that all copies of this card be destroyed.  It should not exist.  This change has already been reflected in files on both the MSU and Georgetown websites, but the card could exist in copies of those files already downloaded, as well as other files potentially.

2) I would like to clarify that Georgetown University bears no blame or fault.  This falls squarely on MSU debate.  The card was included from an MSU backfile.  Ignorance is not an excuse.

3) MSU debate would like to apologize for this error.  again, there is no excuse.

4) To my knowledge, MSU has never read this card in a round.  If you are aware of any situation where that is not the case, please contact me immediately.  In my opinion, any round where MSU read this evidence is a round we deserved to lose and receive zero speaker points, and our opponents deserve a sincere and public apology.

I do not believe there is anyone who has drawn a harder line on these issues than I have.  That this has occurred in an MSU file is something I am deeply embarrassed for.

Dave

Broward ‘9 (Via Newsflavor – A Network of Political and World News Journalists, “Will an Economic Collapse Kill You?”, 4-9, http://newsflavor.com/opinions/will-an-economic-collapse-kill-you/)
It may or may not sound likely to you, but the economy is on the brink of collapse. The stock market is riding a sled down a steep hill. The United States government is spending money faster than it can print it. Right now the government is passing bills and proposals that will give trillions of dollars to failing companies and bankrupt manufacturers. They believe that by giving these companies resources to invest and expand, the economy will expand. The problem with this plan is that the same companies that are receiving billions of dollars in aid aren’t prepared to handle this money better than they used capitol in the past. Chances are these companies still have the same investors and management that they did pre-bailout, so who’s to say that they won’t make the same mistakes they’ve made in the past? The most likely thing to happen is that these companies are going to spend this money the same way they have in the past and that these companies are going to go bankrupt, again. These companies are the lynchpin of the economy, such as major insurance providers, banks, investment firms, manufacturers, etc. If these companies or firms were to collapse, the economy would be falling down the same pit as these companies. Not just the United States economy, because the U.S. is a major trade partner in this world, and most other countries are dependent on the United States one way or another, a United States collapse would cause a domino effect on the world’s economy. If the United States economy failed, for example, we could see Iraq, Iran, and Russia fall with them, because all of their economies are reliant off the selling of oil. Then the nations who are reliant on their economies would fail, etc. Now it’s time to look at the consequences of a failing world economy. With five official nations having nuclear weapons, and four more likely to have them there could be major consequences of another world war. The first thing that will happen after an economic collapse will be war over resources. The United States currency will become useless and will have no way of securing reserves. The United States has little to no capacity to produce oil, it is totally dependent on foreign oil. If the United States stopped getting foreign oil, the government would go to no ends to secure more, if there were a war with any other major power over oil, like Russia or China, these wars would most likely involve nuclear weapons. Once one nation launches a nuclear weapon, there would of course be retaliation, and with five or more countries with nuclear weapons there would most likely be a world nuclear war. The risk is so high that acting to save the economy is the most important issue facing us in the 21st century.
dstrauss13

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 07:43:56 AM »

It has come to my attention that MSU did in fact read this card on the energy topic.  It was read as the impact to a grid scenario for our fusion spinoffs advantage.  I do not know how many rounds, or who the opponents were, just that it definitely was read.  Please accept my deepest apologies.  Every single round MSU read this card is a round we deserved to lose.  Period.  The most unfortunate part of this is that no amount of apology can retroactively repair the damage done to our opponent/s who may have illegitimately been awarded a loss.  It is unacceptable.  Again, ignorance is not, and can not, be an excuse.  There is nothing more foundational to policy debate than the integrity of evidence.  MSU must do much much much better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: