College Policy Debate Forums
November 23, 2017, 07:47:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Arnie Madsen  (Read 1835 times)
SherryHall

« on: September 06, 2017, 07:26:12 PM »

Just saw this post on facebook from Cate.  Arnie was a strong supporter of the NDT, serving in the tabroom for over a decade.  I also considered him a friend and will miss him.

This is Cate, Arnie’s wife.

There is no easy way to say this: Arnie died last night after an unexpectedly short illness.

After a routine physical last Wednesday found abnormal blood results, Arnie was admitted to the hospital for further tests. He was diagnosed with cancer on Thursday, and his condition then deteriorated rapidly. He received excellent care at Covenant hospital here in Waterloo, but we just could not get ahead of the challenges, and he died Tuesday night at 9:35. The speed at which symptoms progressed surprised everyone. Arnie was nothing, if not efficient.

Throughout his time in the hospital, Arnie was joking with his caregivers, making the nurses, doctors, aides, lab techs, and even two flight nurses laugh. I think he found many new girlfriends along the way. As he said to one nurse, “Being grumpy won't fix anything and why should I be mean to someone who is trying to help me?”

Arnie was an outgoing guy, but he also was extremely private. So, there will not be any public visitation or service. Later this fall, there will be a small family-only service in his birthplace.

For all who knew and loved Arnie, honor him by loving your friends and partners as deeply and loyally and steadfastly as he loved his. Then, raise a toast, beer or iced tea or margaritas were his favorite, in his honor. If you want to do something more concrete, donate in his memory to any of the following:

The National Park Service, especially Yellowstone National Park or Cloudpeak Wilderness Area

Animal welfare organizations that specialize in cat rescue

Progressive political causes that combat racism, sexism, hunger, and poverty and that promote LGBTQ rights, immigrant rights, feminism, and social justice

The Democratic Party and Democratic candidates, from local school board to national races

The National Debate Tournament
SherryHall

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 07:30:26 PM »

David Bruce Rhaesa

Godspeed! Oh my gosh Cate. Much Love. Prayers rise like smoke!
SherryHall

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 07:31:29 PM »

Kathleen Edelmayer

Oh, Cate!!! What horrible news! My heart breaks for you. Such a shock! Know that you are held close in my thoughts/prayers -- sending hugs from The D!!
SherryHall

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 07:32:04 PM »

Matt J Stannard

Oh my God. I am so sorry and love both of you so much, Cate. I am devastated by this news and full of love for your description of Arnie's time in the hospital.

Arnie's Wyoming connection, and his debate connection, made us fast friends. I am so saddened by this.
SherryHall

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 07:32:48 PM »

Vicki Leonard Henderson

OMG, I am so sorry. When I first saw Arnie's "update" announced on my wall I was happy since he always made me smile with a story related to our joint love of and experience selling antiques. And of course we shared a love of debate. As others have said, he was such a nice, good, principled guy. He will be sadly missed by his family and many friends in the debate and antiques worlds.
SherryHall

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 07:33:15 PM »

Jeff Philpott

So very sorry. Cate, my thoughts are with you. Arnie was more than a debate partner and colleague, he was a dear friend, for oh so many years. Cheers, dear friend!
SherryHall

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 07:33:41 PM »

Ron Kincaid

Cate, I am so sorry to hear this. Arnie was one of my favorite people "back then" on the debate circuit, and, again, as he would humor us with his stories about his second(?, third?) career in antique dealing. He always laughed easily and distinctively. Best wishes to you through this time.
SherryHall

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 07:34:03 PM »

Alan Coverstone

So sorry, Cate. I loved Arnie all the way back to the Wake workshop days and Illinois State. Always friendly and kind, he really took me under his wing and gave me opportunities and support. I am so sorry for your loss.
SherryHall

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 07:34:28 PM »

Valerie Swarts

I am shocked and saddened to read this news, Cate. Arnie and I go back to my Iowa/Illinois debate days. He was such a gentle man with a great sense of humor and sweet spirit.
Thank you for sharing this difficult news.
You will be in my thoughts as you find your new normal.
SherryHall

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 07:34:50 PM »

Tom Hollihan

Cate, I am so very sorry to hear this awful news. Arnie was a wonderful guy. This is such a tragedy for him to go at such a young age. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.
SherryHall

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 07:35:14 PM »

Reno Bingham

Cate, I'm so sorry to here the news. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family at this time. He has already started a debate team in HEAVEN by now I'm sure.
SherryHall

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 07:35:37 PM »

David Coale

Oh my. Such a good person. I am sad for this loss
SherryHall

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 07:36:04 PM »

Joel Rollins

Oh no, Cate, I am so sorry. Arnie was such a wonderful man.
SherryHall

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 07:36:35 PM »

Allan Louden

One of my first debaters at Northwest Community Col, and a life time friend. Arnie was one of the good guys. In his thoughtful quite way he made the lives of so many better. I will miss him much. As Assitant Debate Coach at Wake in the 80s. His attitude so apparent in his smile.
SherryHall

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 07:37:01 PM »

Tom Goodnight

Lovely, lovely man. He is missed. My thoughts are with you, Cate.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: