College Policy Debate Forums
November 24, 2017, 05:11:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Arnie Madsen  (Read 1852 times)
SherryHall

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2017, 07:52:14 PM »

Cindy Carbone

We are so saddened by this news and pray your wonderful memories will help console you. Ralph and Cindy-more debate colleagues.
SherryHall

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2017, 07:53:16 PM »

Heidi Hamilton

Shocked and saddened to hear. Arnie was one of my favorite lab partners--organized, efficient, smart, and funny. So glad I got to visit, even if only briefly, with him this summer. Sending the warmest of thoughts your way, Cate.
SherryHall

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2017, 07:53:44 PM »

Edward Panetta

Cate, I am very sorry to learn of Arnie's passing. He was a thoughtful person who was a great friend and roommate. We had a lot of fun together at WFU. I always enjoyed catching up with him at the NDT. I will keep you in my thoughts at this difficult time. Regards, Ed
SherryHall

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2017, 07:54:52 PM »

Ron Wastyn

Words are hard to come by here. I met Arnie some 30 plus years ago when I debated at Augustana College. He was one the reasons I went to Wake Forest for my MA. I worked for him when he directed the Pitt debate program and was glad to call him a colleague and friend when I directed debate at James Madison. We are a small community and this one hurts. For the last 18 years we visited whenever the antique show came to the Quad Cities, twice a year to reconnect and discuss politics and the debate community. I really looked forward to those breakfasts and will miss our visits greatly. To say he did not impact my life would a be a woeful understatement. Cate-- you were so lucky to be with him day in and day out. Truly one of the very best individuals I have ever met. You will be missed my friend!!!!
SherryHall

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2017, 07:55:56 PM »

Michael Alberty

What an odd day, filled with smoke and melancholy. The skies are darkened by forest fire smoke so it's constant twilight. The son of a person I adored in HS is killing it on a radio show (he's the voice of American soccer now) as I drive back from wine country. It's back to school day for junior and the wife, so now I have to try to write in maddening silence. Then I discovered an old friend from college debate days (going to miss you Arnie) passed away suddenly and without much warning. The transition back to daytime solitude is challenging today. I can't wait to see rain again.
SherryHall

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2017, 07:56:27 PM »

Ron Kincaid

I cannot believe to find out that Arnie Madsen has passed away. Those of us on the NDT circuit will surely remember him as one of the easiest going people we'd meet. Also, without him at the Wake Institute "back then," I'd still have no idea of the intricacies (should I say intimacies?) of the castration of a ram.
SherryHall

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2017, 07:57:28 PM »

Douglas Gilbert‎

So sorry to hear about Arnie. I attended Buffalo HS with Arnie, (1 year older) and also was on debate team with him at NWCC. We played tennis together and as partners won our Debate Team tourney.
SherryHall

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2017, 09:10:26 PM »

Allan Louden‎

I am saddened to announce the passing of Arnie Madsen in Cedar Falls Iowa. Dr. Madsen earned his masterís degree at Wake Forest in the early 80s, and his Ph. D. at Pittsburgh. He was a director of Debate at Illinois State University and Northwestern Univ. He served for a decade in the NDT tab room and NDT Committee Chair for several years. Anyone who knew Arnie had a loyal and caring friend.
Arnie and Cate working Tabroom at NDT
SherryHall

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2017, 10:41:47 AM »

Jim Hanson

i am so so sad to read this. arnie was someone who worked to get things done and who was also kind and willing to help out. it was always a pleasure when i talked with him. : ( all my most supportive thoughts to you.
SherryHall

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2017, 10:42:07 AM »

Gordon Stables

So sorry Cate. Arnie was a wonderful person who always so kind, generous and funny. I remember being a little intimidated at first because he seemed so serious and reserved, but he was quick to offer true kindness and a wonderful sense of humor. The entire debate community has benefitted from the lifelong service you both provided. I hope all of the wonderful memories offer some comfort. Keeping you in our thoughts.
SherryHall

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2017, 10:42:51 AM »

Patricia Riley

Oh Cate, sending mighty hugs and our love your way. We are beyond sad to lose a witty, charming, smart, interesting friend. I was just saying how his posts would make my day--he was such an astute observer of the quirky side of the human condition. You are both too young to experience this. We will donate in his honor, and remember always his fierce beliefs in all that makes for a more equitable world. Please take care. 💔
SherryHall

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »

Jon Bruschke

Oh man. My thoughts and prayers with you, Cate.
SherryHall

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2017, 10:43:35 AM »

Rey Garcia

I am so sorry for your loss. I have very fond memories of Arnie. He will be remembered as a true gentleman- smart, funny, and a loyal friend.
SherryHall

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2017, 10:44:35 AM »

Star A. Muir

There is no easy way to say this. I cannot move forward feeling sorry about Arnie. Having danced with death, and continuing that jig, I feel blessed to have known him and thankful that he didn't linger in pain and discomfort at all the attention. I celebrate his quiet grin and chuckle, and his courage in leaving behind the world he knew to forge a life that he loved. I am grateful that he found a partner to share his joys and sorrows, and that he was a positive influence on the people he learned and worked with. I appreciate his capacity to respect the worth and dignity of others, even those with unbelievable customer behavior, except perhaps for those individuals playing against his beloved Broncos. I will miss him, and hope his family and loved ones know how much he helped others without making a big deal about it. I am resolved to remember him best by holding myself to emulate and share some of his best qualities. Thank you, Arnie.
SherryHall

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2017, 11:30:39 AM »

Jairus Victor Grove

Oh no. I am so sorry to hear about Arnie. It is hard to imagine a world without Arnie and Cate chasing me through the halls of UNI to start a debate.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: