College Policy Debate Forums
November 18, 2017, 07:52:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arnie Madsen  (Read 1781 times)
SherryHall

« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2017, 12:14:09 PM »

Sarah Jane Green

A terrible loss. Sending my love to Cate and Arnie's family.
SherryHall

« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2017, 12:14:42 PM »

Lyn Robbins

So sorry to hear. Condolences to Cate and all of Arnie's family.
SherryHall

« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2017, 12:15:00 PM »

Joe Bellon

Oh Cate, I'm so sorry for you and for everyone else in Arnie's life. He was a genuinely wonderful person.
SherryHall

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2017, 12:15:31 PM »

Ben Voth

Devastating. So sad to hear of this loss. Great service to our community.
SherryHall

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2017, 12:16:24 PM »

Gregg Fishbein

Another terrible loss for UNI and the entire debate community.
SherryHall

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2017, 12:16:45 PM »

David Hingstman

Arnie was so generous with his time to support the activity! We will miss him.
SherryHall

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2017, 12:20:47 PM »

National Debate Tournament (Facebook Page)

I am saddened to announce the passing of Arnie Madsen in Cedar Falls Iowa. Dr. Madsen earned his master’s degree at Wake Forest in the early 80s, and his Ph. D. at Pittsburgh. He was a director of Debate at Illinois State University and Northwestern Univ. He served for a decade in the NDT tab room and NDT Committee Chair for several years. Anyone who knew Arnie had a loyal and caring friend.
Arnie and Cate working Tabroom at NDT
SherryHall

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2017, 12:21:15 PM »

Richard Kimbrough

Such a loss for the community. His family are in my thoughts.
SherryHall

« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2017, 05:44:56 AM »

Gina Lane

I am so sorry to hear this news, Cate. It is incredibly difficult to lose your life partner, and the suddenness has to be such a shock. Thank you for sharing this message with all of us. May the memories of your life and love together keep you afloat as you move through your grieving. You and your family are in my thoughts.
SherryHall

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2017, 08:43:30 AM »

Hi friends of Arnie. This is Cate again. Here is Arnie's official obituary.
Your kind words have brought comfort. The photos are appreciated and the funny stories have enabled me to smile when I thought I might have forgotten how. Arnie would have said it was true perspective by incongruity that so many rhetoricians have said they have no words. I just hope I have found a few right ones in what follows.

Arnold James Madsen, known to everyone as Arnie, beloved husband/life partner, brother, friend, antiques dealer, debate coach, and genuinely nice guy, passed away Tuesday, September 5, 2017. Arnie was 59 years old.

After a routine physical found abnormal blood results, Arnie was admitted to the hospital for further tests. He was diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic cancer. He immediately began receiving excellent care from Covenant Hospital in Waterloo, Iowa. However, due to the advanced stage of the illness and related complications, the disease progressed unexpectedly rapidly. He died there peacefully in the presence of his wife/life partner as two of his oldest friends shared funny Arnie stories. The speed at which symptoms progressed surprised everyone. Arnie was nothing, if not efficient.

Throughout his time in the hospital, Arnie was joking with his caregivers, making the nurses, doctors, aides, and lab techs laugh. He named one IV port Helicopter 1 and the second Helicopter 2 in honor of the flight nurses who inserted them. As he said to one nurse, “Being grumpy won’t fix anything and why should I be mean to someone who is trying to help me?”

Arnie was born on January 15, 1958 in Buffalo, Wyoming. He is survived by his wife/life partner Catherine (Cate) Palczewski; by his family, including brother Carl Madsen, sister-in-law Lois Madsen, sisters Evelyn Pope and Karen Ewing, niece Crystal Ewing, and nephews Jim Rasmussen, Scott Madsen, Tom Madsen, and Aaron Ewing; by his friends, many of whom he considered family, including Doug and Beverly Jennings, Sandy Carlson, John and Trudy Fritch, and Craig Cutbirth and Bev Herzog; and by his extended antiques family, many of whom have responded to his death by talking about how they considered Arnie to be their brother. Arnie was preceded in death by his parents, Viola Harboe Madsen and Harold Madsen, and by his sister Doris Madsen Rasmussen.

Arnie had two highly successful careers. For his first career, he was a prominent debate coach and argumentation scholar who touched numerous lives with his teaching and scholarly publications. He earned a master’s degree in Communication Studies from Wake Forest University, and then taught and coached debate at Illinois State University. He earned his PhD from Northwestern University in Communication Studies, and then taught and coached debate at the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Northern Iowa. Even after he left academia, Arnie continued his service to intercollegiate debate community. He was an indispensible part of the team that managed the National Debate Tournament for many years.

His second career was as an antiques dealer of political memorabilia, vintage toys, art pottery, farm advertising, and postcards. Arnie was a fixture at antiques shows across the Midwest. Everyone knew and loved that guy in the faded blue jeans, plaid shirt, and baseball cap. Everyone who met him was a little bit better because Arnie always tried to make the world a little better for everyone.

Whether in the competitive worlds of intercollegiate debate or antiques auctions, Arnie was known for being honest, decent, and kind. He was a good man. The many cats he rescued across the years offer further testament to his inherent goodness.

Arnie was an outgoing guy, but he also was extremely private. So, there will not be any public visitation or service. Later this fall, there will be a small family-only celebration-of-life service in Wyoming.

Arnie appreciated flowers growing in the mountains of Wyoming, but had little use for them stuck in a vase. He also was not into big public displays of grief. He thought money was better spent on the living, especially those who were struggling. In lieu of flowers, donate in his memory to any of the following:

*The National Park Service, especially Yellowstone National Park or Cloud Peak Wilderness Area

*Animal welfare organizations that specialize in cat rescue

*Progressive political causes that combat racism, sexism, hunger, and poverty and that promote LGBTQ rights, immigrant rights, feminism, and social justice

*The Democratic Party and Democratic candidates, from local school board to national races

*The National Debate Tournament

For all who knew and loved Arnie, honor him by loving your friends and partners as deeply and loyally and steadfastly as he loved his. Then, raise a toast, good beer or iced tea or strong margaritas, in his honor.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: