College Policy Debate Forums
December 12, 2018, 10:10:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to start a college policy debate program?  (Read 915 times)
irichardyoung

« on: January 24, 2018, 09:25:12 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm currently a 2nd year at UCLA. I was thinking of starting a small policy debate club at my school. My school only does BP/WUDC and it just wasn't the same.

What are the most important steps that need to be taken to create a successful debate team? Are all schools allowed to participate in college debate tournaments, or do you need to be a member of NDT/CEDA?

Thanks in advance
hansonjb

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 11:41:13 PM »

ability to participate at tournaments depends on the tournament. if you have school recognition as a club, you should be able to participate at all tournaments--though ceda nats and ndt do require membership and for the ndt, qualification.

this page may be of some help for starting a program: www.wcdebate.com/forensicfriend.htm

also, if you need to get in touch with coaches for tournament in the los angeles area, i can help on that.

jim hanson : )
executive director, climb the mountain speech and debate foundation
jim@climbthemountain.us
www.climbthemountain.us

jim hanson Smiley
seattle u debate forensics speech rhetoric
nryan

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 12:27:22 AM »

CEDA will waive fees for the first few years for new programs. Lots of directors will also waive entry fees and help find judging to lower the entry burden to tournaments as well. Programs will often volunteer files on the topic to help you get started the Arizona Debate Institute has theirs from the summer here, and the American Debate Associations here, along with teams that are opensource on the college wiki here. We're getting late in the season so there aren't a ton of opportunities to debate on the current topic, but you can find some tournaments on tabroom.com using the circuit NDT-CEDA. If you need any help or contact of people near you that are able to provide a lot more in person assistance let me know.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: