College Policy Debate Forums
June 22, 2018, 05:03:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Raja Gaddipati  (Read 3658 times)
SherryHall

« on: January 03, 2018, 06:59:30 PM »

I just heard the devastating news that Raja Gaddipati, a former MBA and Northwestern debater, passed away suddenly.  He was 36 years old and leaves a wife and two small children.  My heart goes out to all of my MBA and Northwestern friends that are hurting today.
SherryHall

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 07:00:02 PM »

From Alan Coverstone:

Raja Gaddipati was certainly one of the most talented and hard working people I was ever privileged to coach. In recent years, however, I have been even more proud to see him grow into the wonderful husband and father he became. Those are the legacies that matter, and Raja gave them his all. I am devastated, but my thoughts and prayers are with his family today and always. Thinking of Emma, Lila, and Sophia. Rest, well, my friend.
SherryHall

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 07:00:36 PM »

Daryl Burch

OH NO!!! my prayers are out to his family.
SherryHall

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 07:00:53 PM »

Jayne Craig-Smith

So sad! So young!!
SherryHall

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 07:01:31 PM »

Stefan Bauschard

Devastating. I knew Raja mostly as a competitor, first in his time at MBA with Alan Coverstone and then as an outstanding debater at Northwestern. He was among the best I ever had the chance to judge and his energy and enthusiasm for what he did was incredible.

I never met his own family, but I've enjoyed seeing him and them on Facebook over the last five+ years. A really beautiful family.

I'm so sorry.
SherryHall

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 07:02:06 PM »

Jo Norris Palmore

I am shocked. Raja was an outstanding student and a remarkable young man when I knew him at MBA. So, so sorry to learn of his passing. Prayers for his family and friends.
SherryHall

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 07:02:30 PM »

Nermin Ghali

Iím so sorry and so saddened by this news. Iíve always respected and looked up to Raja, and he was always nothing but kind and constructive in his dialogues with me over the course of his judging me during my debate career. He was a great man. RIP, my dear friend and colleague.
SherryHall

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »

David Glass

terrible news; condolences!! what a loss...
SherryHall

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 07:03:21 PM »

Kenda Cunningham

No words re: this terribly sad loss but all who are grieving are in my thoughts.
SherryHall

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 07:03:41 PM »

Yonatan Neril

Raja holds a warm place in my heart. I remember being at debate camps with him 20 years ago and sharing deep laughs together. May his memory be a blessing.
SherryHall

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 07:05:24 PM »

Dan Shalmon

The worst possible reason to suspend my Facebook hiatus: Raja Gaddipati passed away suddenly on Monday. As much as any coach, Raja shaped my approach to debate, and life generally. He was, quite simply, the hardest-working, most ruthlessly effective policy debate strategist I have ever met. I feared and respected him as a competitor and loved coaching with him more than I can put into words. Like Duck, he wrapped a kind heart and generous soul in a cloak of often hilariously mean-son-of-a-bitch-ness. More than anyone else I have known, he embodied the famous epitaph: "[there was] no better friend, and no worse enemy." **

By force of example, he made me better in every aspect of life. Over the last few years, I neglected our friendship and took for granted that he would always be there towering over me (both literally and figuratively). Because it's so easy to reconnect with debate folks after not seeing each other for years, I've done a poor job of staying engaged with you all... and I'm going to be dealing with that for a while. If I send you a maudlin message of reconnection, just blame Raj.

In the meantime, I'm helping Jeff Gaunt organize some debater-specific things for those attending the funeral this Monday in Chicago. A dinner and some times to hang out, drink and mourn are likely. I know that child care is an issue for my family, and I'll be trying to address that as well--comment or email me if you need help on that front as well (firstname.lastname @ gmail).

I'll post details in the comments below as I get them. If you want to help out the family, also say so in the comments or email-there's a process in place.
SherryHall

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 07:05:59 PM »

Dan Shalmon

Here's what we have so far:

Services will be held sometime Monday (January Cool in the Chicago area. When I have more details on time/place, I will put them up here.

On Sunday, there will be a visitation from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday at Donnellan Family Funeral Services, 10045 Skokie Boulevard in Skokie.

There is a process in place to sign up to provide food, child care or other help to the family. If you want to do so, email me at my gmail address (firstname.lastname).

We are working on putting together some social gatherings for the debate community members. When we have an evite or some other mechanism to RSVP, it'll be posted here.
SherryHall

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 07:06:19 PM »

Marie A Dzuris

Another person I connected with because of debate..too young..too soon. It just makes my heart hurt
SherryHall

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 07:06:36 PM »

Victoria Suarez-Palomo

Oh my gosh Dan, this is heartbreaking news. I am so sorry to hear. Please let me know if thereís anything I can do to help you. My heart goes out to you, Rajaís family, and the broader debate fam.
SherryHall

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 07:06:59 PM »

Rahul Jaswa

Heartbreaking. The two of you were my first lab leaders at Northwestern during freshman year summer.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: