College Policy Debate Forums
March 22, 2019, 04:50:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Joseph Peery  (Read 540 times)
SherryHall

« on: January 11, 2019, 10:09:06 PM »

Just saw the news on facebook that former Wake Forest debater, Joseph Peery passed away.  He was a former lab student of mine and I am heartbroken.

Here is what Alan Coverstone said:
A former roommate and good friend has left the earth far too soon. He was a faithful man, a great husband, a wonderful father, and a Deacon fan. Joseph Peery was one of the very best people I ever knew. He did more for his friends, including me, than we could ever do for him and never expected anything in return. How to express condolences for someone so strong and wonderful and now gone far too soon? To live with the commitments he demonstrated may be all we can do. God bless you, Joe. I love you and will miss knowing you are out there.
SherryHall

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 10:09:33 PM »

From Joe Bellon:

It would appear that former Wake Forest debater Joseph Peery has passed away. Joe was a truly good man, and it was my privilege to call him my friend.
SherryHall

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 10:10:41 PM »

From Jack Minnear:

Jack Minnear That's terribly sad. I remember Joe both as a highly intelligent person and as one of the kindest people I've ever met - the sort of person who would go out of his way to show concern to people he barely knew.
SherryHall

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 10:11:21 PM »

Jason Renzelmann :

Heartbreaking. Just an all around fantastic human being. He will be so dearly missed.
SherryHall

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 10:11:47 PM »

Sean McCaffity

So sorry to hear this news. Much love and prayers of peace to both the Deacon family and Joes family. Terrible loss.
SherryHall

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 10:14:16 PM »

Matt Stannard:

High school debate in Utah has an amazing history, and Joseph Peery is a significant figure in that history. He was part of the re-emergence of Timpview High School into a debate powerhouse in the late 80s just after I'd graduated from West Jordan HS (I still occasionally breathe a sigh of relief that I never had to debate Danny Fitzgerald and Joe). Joe loved the game and everyone in the Utah high school debate community loved Joe, because he beat you and was smart and fast as lightning, but was really, really nice about it, and was obviously having a lot of fun and wanted you to have fun. Joe went on to debate in college at Wake Forest and in the ensuing decades we stayed friends even though we were very far apart politically. In the last couple of years of his life Joe, a thoughtful conservative, had become deeply troubled with the state of his movement and party. But politics aside, he always listened intently and with intellectual delight at the arguments others made--just as he had done as a debater. I am honored to share his home state and am saddened by his beautiful family losing him so young. Thank you, Joe, for the example you set with your thoughtfulness, open-mindedness, and determination to do right by others. So much love to the Peery family.
SherryHall

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 10:14:58 PM »

Andrew Brown :

Danny Fitzgerald and Joseph Peery once made me their coach so we could go to Arizona for an invitational. We had so much fun together. I remember him holding forth on the musical genius of Jimi Hendrix with great gusto. Im sad hes gone.
SherryHall

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 11:43:11 AM »

Rebecca Kidder

Many many prayers this evening for his beautiful family. And for you. Truly one of the most inspiring people that i have ever known.
SherryHall

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 11:43:49 AM »

Joshua Zive

Im sorry, Cov. In my time debating Joe he left a strong impression on me. Joe was one of the people who proved that competition done right was a welcoming and celebratory activity.
SherryHall

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 11:44:56 AM »

John Hughes

Well put Alan Coverstone. Been thinking about Joe and the early 1990s WFU debate squad all morning. So sad that three of the biggest personalities left us too soon. Life is short. Joe - or Provo Joe as he was affectionately referred to by some of us - was such a great guy. I remember walking into the squad room for the first time and he was the only one there. This big tall dude from Utah with a cool beard rocking out to some great tunes. He was instantly welcoming and made me feel like I belonged even though I was a 17 year-old no one (in the debate world) from Montana. Had many great times with Joe in in the squad room, at tournaments, on the basketball court, and watching our beloved Deamon Deacons rip it up in the ACC. We were together with a few others for WFUs 26 point blow-out win over Chapel Hill -- a game none of us would ever forget (six unanswered 3s by Childress to start the second half!). I learned a ton about debate from Joe. And I always admired and respected how Joe was a man of faith and proud of it, and yet fit right in to the debate community. Prayers to his family.
SherryHall

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 11:45:20 AM »

Bill Russell

Beautifully said, and such a terrible loss. Thoughts go out to his family and many friends
SherryHall

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 11:45:45 AM »

Jayne Craig-Smith

Oh no! This makes me so sad. What a great guy!
SherryHall

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 11:46:07 AM »

William P. Ziegelmueller

Couldn't have said it better than Cov. The good ones always go too soon. RIP, Joe. Prayers for his family.
SherryHall

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 09:33:34 AM »

OBITUARY
Joseph Craig Peery
March 27, 1971 January 10, 2019
Obituary of Joseph Craig Peery
Beloved husband and father, Joseph Craig Peery Jr, 47 of Cary, North Carolina, passed away Thursday, January 10th surrounded by his family in his home.

Joseph was born, March 27, 1971 in New York City, and grew up in Utah. An award winning student, he graduated Timpview High School Provo, UT in 1989 and attended Wake Forest University on a debate scholarship. He and his wife Julie met in high school and began dating shortly after graduation. They were married in the Salt Lake City Utah Temple and moved to North Carolina shortly after.

Joseph graduated Wake Forest University, Magna Cum Laude with Honors in Economics. He was a successful Financial Advisor for over 20 years. His most recent position was with Wells Fargo advisors as a Senior Vice President of Investments of Thomas and Peery Wealth Management group.

Joseph was a lifelong member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. At the age of 19 he served for two years in the England, Leeds Mission. He served faithfully in many positions of responsibility in the Church throughout his life, most recently he was on the the High Council of the Apex North Carolina Stake. Joseph always maintained a firm testimony of the Book of Mormon, and of Jesus Christ as his Savior, and readily shared his hope in Christ with everyone.

He had a naturally positive attitude and a cheerful temperament. He was a friend to all: loved by acquaintances, colleagues, members of his church and especially his wife and family.

He is survived by his wife of 25 years, Julie Ann Roberts Peery, children Joseph David Peery, Michael James Peery, Jonathan Charles Peery, Anna Elizabeth Peery and William Andrew Peery, father J.Craig Peery (Leslie), mother Irene W. Fox (Angus), sister Christie P. Skousen (Thomas) and brother Samuel J. Peery (Emily) and many loving nieces, nephews and other relatives. He was preceded in death by his daughter Rachel Emily Peery (June 2 1996 - January 22, 1997).

Funeral services will be held Tuesday, January 15th at 12:00pm at the Apex North Stake Center, 574 Bryan Drive, Apex NC.

The family will greet friends the evening of Monday January 14th from 7:00-8:00pm at the at the Apex Funeral Home, 550 W. Williams St. Apex, NC.

Joseph will be laid to rest next to his daughter, Rachel, in a family plot in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Josephs oldest son, David, is currently serving his two year mission in Ecuador, which brought great joy to his father; In lieu of flowers, memorial donations can be made to the General Missionary Fund of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. www.ldsphilanthropies.org/missionary
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: