College Policy Debate Forums
November 23, 2017, 09:14:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I am working on 'X' topic ....  (Read 8557 times)
stables
Administrator

« on: March 30, 2010, 05:30:42 PM »

I am opening this thread to allow folks (both on the topic committee and volunteers) to help post information about their controversy papers. I hope this helps volunteers to join with projects that they find interesting and also to allow folks to develop new proposals.

Thanks
Gordon

Gordon Stables
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
Director of Debate & Forensics
Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism
University of Southern California
sspring

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 05:37:41 PM »

When are topic papers due, btw?
stables
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 05:40:53 PM »

I posted on the other thread, but the dates are:

•   Controversy Papers must be submitted by Monday, April 19th, 2010.
•   The topic selection committee will review these papers and submit a ballot to the community. The ballot will be open for a minimum of 14 days.
•   The winning controversy paper will be reviewed by the topic selection committee and the community. Wording Papers must be submitted by Friday, May 28th, 2010.
•   The topic meetings run from Friday June 4th through Sunday June 6th and are open to the public. We will also make efforts to provide regular information to the community not joining us in Ogden.

Gordon Stables
stables
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 05:42:04 PM »

I am co-authoring an education reform paper with Karla Leeper. We are looking to examine how the Obama administration's interest in revising the federal No Child Left Behind policy may create an interesting argumentative opportunity for our topic.

Gordon Stables
kelly young

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 09:13:12 PM »

I along with several other folks are working on a critical infrastructures topic paper. We would be glad to have additional assistance. If you want to help, please contact me at kelly.young@wayne.edu.

Kelly

Director of Forensics/Associate Professor
Wayne State University
313-577-2953
kelly.young [at] wayne.edu
www.wsuforensics.org
Ryan Galloway

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 01:40:08 AM »

I am leading a group that is writing the treaties topic paper for 2010-2011.  If you'd like to chip in, please email me at rwlcgalloway@gmail.com.

Hope everyone is doing great.

RG
Jarrod Atchison

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 10:01:41 AM »

I am leading a group that is working on an immigration paper.
andreareed

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 12:37:26 PM »

Dave Arnett and I are working on the space paper.  If you would like to help, please email me at andreareed2007 at gmail dot com...
kevin kuswa

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 11:05:33 AM »

Hi all.

Thanks for all the information, Gordon.  Very good areas represented here--i think education and infrastructure could be really strong controversies and the others seem promising as well.  So, if anyone wants to bounce potential wordings off of me or wants some help on the various wording stems, just let me know.  I have been working with a few librarians and an English Prof here at UR to find some ways to check the grammar of a given resolution and provide possible alternatives/options.  We're working (experimenting) with four or five "English" and language web sites and some seem fairly fruitful.  I realize that a resolution is not the same thing as a sentence Smiley, but some of the web engines out there will be helpful to resolution writers (like us) in addition to sentence diagrammers.  I will post information here as it comes together.  Best of luck to everyone. 

Sincerely,

Kevin Kuswa
U. Richmond
ADA Topic Rep.
nalexander

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 10:45:20 AM »

Andy Ellis and I are re-submitting the Reparations topic for consideration. If you would like to help work on this or just have comments or critiques, please drop an email to nicholas[dot]brady89[at]gmail[dot]com. This Reparations topic will have a domestic and international aspect to it (with consideration of the recent crisis in Haiti and how American Cold War policy crippled that nation and holds some responsibility for the lack of infrastructure in that country, along with Palestine, some South American countries, Japan (hiroshima/nagasaki), and other such examples). Hopefully this will address the scope questions that people brought up and the "kritikal/performance" bias that people feel this topic has. With a more international focus, any policy team can have their big policy affs and common disadvantage links, along with forcing greater historical knowledge of American affect on oppressing people domestically and globally.
FullMontee

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 12:44:19 PM »

Is anyone working on a Latin America controversy paper?

If anyone is, some members of the UTSA squad and I would be happy to help work on it.

andymontee@gmail.com if you'd like to discuss this. 
Jarrod Atchison

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 09:44:14 AM »

I wanted to clarify that my group is focusing solely on immigration. If someone is interested in working on a larger Latin America paper then they should jump right in.
kelly young

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 01:52:52 PM »

I along with several other folks are working on a critical infrastructures topic paper. We would be glad to have additional assistance. If you want to help, please contact me at kelly.young@wayne.edu.

Kelly

With the exception of a couple of people, most notably Taylor Hahn, my help on this topic failed me and I simply don't have the time to fill in dozens of whole in the infrastructure topic. I plan to continue work on this next year and submit it then.

Sorry folks,
Kelly

Director of Forensics/Associate Professor
Wayne State University
313-577-2953
kelly.young [at] wayne.edu
www.wsuforensics.org
nalexander

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 09:32:10 AM »

Reparations will not be submitted this year, semester got real hectic on my side. Definitely will be submitted for next year, so on that note: GO EDUCATION!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: