Author Topic: Jim Lux  (Read 258 times)

SherryHall

Jim Lux
« on: March 20, 2020, 02:42:13 PM »
From Jim's facebook page:
As many of you have heard, our hearts were broken when we lost Jim last Saturday. We have all greatly appreciated the outpouring of love and support that we have already received, and continue to receive, from the many many people who loved Jim.

Due to our current unprecedented situation regarding COVID19 and recommendations by the CDC, we are sad to say that services will not be open to the public. However we are planning not one but two memorial services, joyful parties to celebrate Jim's life, once it is deemed safe to travel and gather. One will be held in Boston and one in Chicago. In the meantime we know that you will all find your own ways of honoring Jim. We'd welcome any stories, pictures and memories you wish to share to be sent to RememberingJimLux@gmail.com.

SherryHall

Re: Jim Lux
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 02:44:00 PM »
https://www.deefuneralhome.com/obituaries/James-Thomas-Lux?obId=12468384&fbclid=IwAR23NEcnIuKRviQhZwUI7xpp0C9HNIN2R4rrd_CHFG_JHBNawMizGELdpdg#/obituaryInfo

James Thomas Lux
April 12, 1982 - March 14, 2020

Obituary

James Thomas Lux, 37, died Saturday, March 14, 2020, at his home in Wayland, Mass., surrounded by his family, a little more than a year after being diagnosed with colon cancer.

His greatest achievement was the family he created with Jen, his partner in life and love. They were a consummate team, through times good and bad. A devoted father, Jim made sure to ingrain in their twins, Calvin and Oliver, and daughter Juliette, the important things in life: good books, Legos, all things Disney, video games and the value of a well-timed joke.

He was a graduate of Northwestern University and “a law school outside of Boston,” and spent his career at the Wilmer Hale firm in Boston. Honest, trustworthy and principled, he treasured his family and was loyal to his friends. The latter was an ever-expanding tribe drawn to him throughout his life. He kept them in touch and entertained on social media; with a recent health update, though, he drew on more heart than wit.

“I love you all. In big ways and small, in ways that you may not even have been aware, you've all made my life and my world immeasurably better. Thank you for that. It means more to me than you'll ever know.”

He had a remarkable memory and appetite for trivia. A kindred spirit was the other Calvin, the titular kid from his beloved “Calvin and Hobbes” strip: “I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.” Jim deftly changed gears from arcane legal principles or historical references to broad humor or movie quotes and back. Likewise, he was armed with a keen sense of humor he could aim high or low; if he bestowed one of his cringeworthy puns, people knew they’d groan on him.

He began debating his freshman year at Glenbrook South High School and it changed his life — it led him to Northwestern (where he met Jennifer), and into law, and to many of his dearest, lifelong friends. He loved the whole world of debate, including its idiosyncratic culture, customs, language and inhabitants.

A cheerful contrarian, he enjoyed the challenge of the road less taken. Two decades on, he still reveled in his stratagem for a required high school course, so-called “Life Skills,” taking it pass/fail and squeaking through. Instead, he used his brains (he had extra) on more compelling subjects: justice, ethics, literature, cinema, hot sports takes, under-appreciated TV shows and Disney trip planning.

Though his devotion to all things House of Mouse and his sometimes excruciating jokes made him an ideal candidate, he never fulfilled his desired mid-career course-correction to Disney Jungle Cruise skipper/Imagineer. Instead he helmed the logistics of his extended family's frequent trips to Disney World, reckoning how best to maximize fun and minimize wait times.

He was a gifted writer, deploying his intelligence, compassion and either goofy or devastating wit, depending on the topic he was addressing — whether the latest social or political outrage, a favorite episode of “The Office,” the passing of a dear friend, or simply his own guileless social gaffes. Entertaining and persuasive, he may have missed his calling as a sports columnist or political pundit.

His life’s passions included the Cubs (beginning the torture in childhood), the Liverpool Football Club of the English Premier League, all other Chicago sports teams, documentaries on the World Wars, well-loved, fitted ballcaps with perfectly curved brims, Portillo’s, Hackney’s, reading stories for the kids and dramatizing different voices for each character, “Love Actually,” Jeopardy! and Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, which Canadians are astute enough to equate with dinner.

In life skills, Jim didn't simply pass, nor avoid failing. He achieved a score beyond calculation. (It’s as if he were battling the Zurg Empire.)

In addition to his wife Jennifer and children Calvin, Oliver and Juliette, Jim is survived by his parents Maureen and Thomas Lux, his sister Kathryn (Joshua) Rudawitz, nephews Samuel and Jack Rudawitz, niece Eleanor Rudawitz, grandparents Richard and Velma Lux and Dolores Carney Shipp, aunts Julie (Dan) Rosenbaum, Mary Beth (Phil) Pacsi, Karen Mix, Susan Carney, uncle Steve (Megan Garvey) Carney, cousins Evan Carney, Jamie Kettleson, Adam (Mollie Baxley) Pacsi, Dominica (Sean) Vanderhoof, Ellen (Raziel) Shields, Dominic Rosenbaum, Declan Carney and Brendan Carney, mother-in-law Julie Cheung, father-in-law Jimmy Cheung, brother-in-law Dr. Jimmy Cheung and countless, devoted friends. Jim is preceded in death by grandfather Thomas Carney, aunt Kathleen Carney, uncle Michael Carney and step-grandfather Dr. John R. Shipp.

Because of restrictions due to COVID-19, there will be no public visitation at this time. A private funeral service will be held, followed by burial at Edgell Grove Cemetery in Framingham. The family plans to hold joyful celebrations of Jim’s life in Boston and in Chicago when all are once again able to travel and gather. In the meantime, the family invites you to send any stories, pictures and memories you wish to share to: RememberingJimLux@gmail.com

In lieu of flowers, gifts may be made to The Lux Children Educational Fund in care of Thomas Lux, 130 Black Bear Drive #1312, Waltham, MA 02451 or to the Young Onset Colorectal Cancer Center at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, P.O. Box 849168, Boston, MA 02284.

Arrangements are under the care of Dee Funeral Home & Cremation Service of Concord.

SherryHall

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 02:44:43 PM »
Marie A Dzuris

"I have no good words but that smile in this picture tells the tale of who he was and will remain in my memory forever. Debate is a wonderful thing that allows all of us the the opportunity to meet amazing people. I am thankful for the chance to get to know Jim. My heart goes out to all of you during this tough time. I wish you peace and gentle healing."

SherryHall

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 02:45:20 PM »
Jairus Victor Grove

"You always think there is going to be more time. Breaks my heart I did not get to talk to Jim one more time. Northwestern GL the scourge of Valhalla. Miss you both so much."

SherryHall

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 02:45:54 PM »
Katie Mikula-Sultan

"I am so so sorry, and so saddened by this loss...i consider myself so lucky to have been able to get to know Jim in high school and to debate with him on many occasions. The world is less bright with him gone."

SherryHall

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 02:46:27 PM »
Joel Fleming

"I'm so sorry for your loss. Jim was a great guy and will be deeply missed."

SherryHall

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 02:46:50 PM »
Alan Coverstone

"Just this: loved Jim. Care deeply about the family he left behind. Want to be there when the current crisis allows celebration of an incredible person who made an incredible impact on me. Miss him. Love the people he loved."

SherryHall

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 02:47:28 PM »
Tara Tate Carr

"He meant so much to the GBS Titan Debate family. He is a huge part of our history. Sending thoughts of strength during this time."

SherryHall

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 02:48:08 PM »
Laura Testa

"Jim was one of my dearest friends in high school. He was so goofy and smart. Thinking back to some of his antics in the debate office brings a smile to my face even now. Most importantly, he was kinder than anyone I’ve ever met. My heart goes out to his family. I am so sorry for this devastating loss."

SherryHall

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 02:48:30 PM »
Jamie Carroll

"Very sorry to hear this. Jim was a sweet guy-y’all are certainly in my prayers."

SherryHall

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 02:49:03 PM »
Daryl Burch

"Heart and prayers go out to the family. Knew Jim in HS and College he was a good guy."

SherryHall

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 01:53:10 PM »
Laura Testa

Jim was one of my dearest friends in high school. He was so goofy and smart. Thinking back to some of his antics in the debate office brings a smile to my face even now. Most importantly, he was kinder than anyone I’ve ever met. My heart goes out to his family. I am so sorry for this devastating loss.

SherryHall

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 01:53:33 PM »
Jamie Carroll

Very sorry to hear this. Jim was a sweet guy-y’all are certainly in my prayers.