College Policy Debate Forums
December 10, 2018, 03:00:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Remembering Ross  (Read 9314 times)
Adri

« on: July 19, 2010, 06:15:37 AM »

It's hard to believe it has been a year. I’ve been thinking about Ross more and more as today approached. I was privileged to have had Ross as both a coach and a colleague. But if I’ve learned anything in the passing year, it is that Ross touched the hearts of many beyond his immediate squad and circle of friends – I have heard hundreds of anecdotes from folks about the debate he judged them, the poker game he played with them, the smile he shared with them. I am sure that today, in many places, those stories will be shared again.

I know some of you may only know me from the time I asked you to start your round, the preset I judged you, or the time I asked you to let us see the plan text, but I am going to ask a favor of you. Take a moment today to reach out and thank someone in the debate community for being a part of it. It would mean a lot to me, and to those whose lives Ross touched.

If you need a place to start – here’s an idea from Ross, in one of his last posts to Edebate: http://www.ndtceda.com/pipermail/edebate/2009-April/078245.html

Thanks to everyone for reading, and thank you for being part of this community.

-Adri

SherryHall

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 04:44:14 AM »

Well said Adrienne.  I can't believe it's been a year either.  I do not think this message can be emphasized enough -- we need to take the time to recognize and acknowledge the people that have made a difference in our lives while we have the opportunity to do so.  Thank you for reminding us once again of the importance of this.

Sherry
SherryHall

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 04:45:13 AM »

I think your idea of thanking someone in the community today is an extremely important and powerful one. I would start with you but I know I have already told you just how much I learned from you and have looked up to you. Like many other challenges you have presented to the community, thank you for this one. I am certainly thinking about you, Ross, and our whole community today.
SherryHall

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 04:46:00 AM »

I would like to thank the special friends I have in the debate community. You all meant so much to Ross and to me over the years. Love you all!!!
SherryHall

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 04:47:08 AM »

Spent forever trying to figure out a status appropriate for a day like today...but one year later I'm still speechless. Except to say that we still miss you Ross and think about you all the time. A year may pass quickly, but memories of a loved one will last.
SherryHall

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 04:50:40 AM »

Marie A Dzuris:
  is thinking about Ross - miss you lots!!!
SherryHall

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 04:54:43 AM »

Dave Arnett:

Been watching a lot of Ross videos in lab. My favorite part was his discussion of why you should smile in debate. "Smiling makes your brain work better. There are studies m'kay". Miss you Ross.
SherryHall

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 04:55:31 AM »

Joshua Gonzalez:

Sarah and I have decided the best one may have been:
Ross: "Highlighting your cards makes you, you know, dumb!!!"
Everybody Else: "Well, what do you do then?"
Ross: "You know, you edit them as you read. That's what I did!"
Everybody Else: "Ross, that's called clipping now."... See More
Ross: "Well, you know, I was an innovator."
SherryHall

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 04:57:44 AM »

Seth Gannon :

Thinking about Ross endlessly of course--one year later--but also thinking of JP Lacy. It's his birthday today, and it's hard to think of a smarter coach or better friend. Love you JP!
SherryHall

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 04:58:26 AM »

Brad Hall:

Miss you Ross
SherryHall

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 05:00:59 AM »

Jarrod Atchison :

I am amazed at how many times I quoted and/or referenced Ross this summer alone. I miss him very much.
SherryHall

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 05:01:54 AM »

Seth Gannon:

Agreed. It would be no surprise to him, I don't think, that Wake Debate is in such good hands.

Although I'm sure he'd still manage some commentary on your management of partnership decisions, retreat schedule, use of technology, squad room cleanliness, GSU prep, practice debates, food purchases at Quiktrip, and failure to put your feet up on the desk while reading blogs.
SherryHall

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 05:02:38 AM »

Jordan Foley:

‎"Roman numeral 1 - the academy started with debate" Smiley
SherryHall

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 05:03:37 AM »

Jane Munksgaard:

ross taught me how to teach kids debate. ill always value those summers in WS and the rossisms I will always carry on in my teaching. I miss you, ross. a lot.
SherryHall

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 05:04:24 AM »

Seungwon Chung:

It has already been a year... Thought about you all day coach.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: