Author Topic: Vandy philosophy change – Notice to Paperless teams  (Read 2711 times)

nryan

• Liberty Debate
Vandy philosophy change – Notice to Paperless teams
« on: October 12, 2010, 02:21:15 PM »
After having helped my team go through the paperless transition, I understand some of the difficulties the new paperless teams are having. I believe that paperless is a great and wonderful thing to happen to our community. But I’ve grown frustrated with paperless team’s inability to do it efficiently. Here are my frustrations:

* I simply do not understand why it takes so long to jump a document to the other team. Teams have started to take anywhere from 5-7 minutes to save a file to a flash drive, then teams have to jump it to their partner, the other team etc, the process has started taking forever.

*I’m almost always suspicious of why there is so much time to simply save a file “2AC round 1”.

*It should never take this long for 1NR’s to save a file. After cross-x you should be ready to say “The file is saved as 1NR round 2”, and not “hold on I need to save this file” you have a minimum of 12 minutes of prep for you 1NR…. Seriously it doesn’t take that long.

I’ve decided to implement the following system: (Times will be modified by division teams are in, mostly because I don’t think novices should lose prep, although I still am not sure why it should take JVers any longer to save a word document….)

*Varsity paperless teams will be given 3 minutes of “bonus” time. This time will not be added to your prep (so don’t worry non paperless teams you will get the same amount of total prep time) If you do not use all of your bonus time throughout the debate it disappears.

*JV paperless teams will be given 5 minutes of “bonus” time. This time will not be added to your prep (so don’t worry non paperless teams you will get the same amount of total prep time) If you do not use all of your bonus time throughout the debate it disappears.

*Novices this system will not apply to you, you have a hard enough time as it is without adding additional pressures to your debates.

When teams say “I’m done prepping I just need to jump the other team this file” I will stop the official prep-time clock and begin counting down from the official “bonus” time clock. If you go over the allocated “bonus” time for your division then the time it takes you to save your document will start coming from your prep time. There are a few caveats to this philosophy:

*The second the jump drive comes out of your computer I will end your “bonus” time clock. I firmly believe you should not be held responsible for other team’s slow computers or their inability to locate a file on an empty flash drive (this will not come from their “bonus” time).

*If your computer freezes or crashes – I will stop prep and the bonus time effectively calling a “time-out” until you can auto-recover the document.

I’m open to a community discussion of this proposal, or to suggested changes. I figure that 3 minutes is reasonable, as it really doesn’t take that long to save a document to a flash drive.

Adam Symonds

Re: Vandy philosophy change – Notice to Paperless teams
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 09:39:16 PM »
I think you're letting them off the hook easy. NO paperless team should EVER have their prep time end before they have the file on a flash drive, in their hand, ready to give to the other team. This is what we should be requiring of our teams as directors. This is the standard we should be holding teams to when we judge them. You're in control of the prep clock, I wouldn't take their word for it that they are done.

nryan

• Liberty Debate
Re: Vandy philosophy change – Notice to Paperless teams
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 11:38:48 AM »
That might be true. However, my current system has previously been not taking any time for the jumping of speeches, which has added considerable length to debates. I'm not sure the community has established a norm for dealing with the issue of paperless teams saving documents to jump drives yet.