College Policy Debate Forums
April 20, 2014, 07:19:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: fabrication of evidence: where is the line?  (Read 4051 times)
japoapst

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 12:00:41 PM »

I agree with Scott about the paragraph rule. Another aspect to consider is that when a team cites a card on the wiki that starts or ends in the middle of the paragraph it can often be hard to find when one is looking in a long document that doesn't have a search function. I know this isn't that big of a deal, but I can remember several times in the past several years looking through a pdf that was hundreds of pages for five sentences of a card, and frustratingly finding it later when I realized the few words given were not the beginning and end of the paragraph.
jregnier

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 03:29:33 PM »

Re: japoapst

Scott didn't make an argument.  Or at least not one that answered anything I said.

The problem you describe is a problem of poor citation practices.  If you include the page number of the card, then that's not an issue.  Also, that's what OCR is for.
jgonzo

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 01:16:07 PM »

Just a heads up to folks - there are two "gonzos" on the CEDA Forums. The one from the University of Iowa, formerly Wake, MSU, etc. is me, JGonzo. I am not sure who the other one is, but they seem like a nice person, and I look forward to meeting my e-doppleganger some day.

I see this issue as pretty cut-and-dry, and I doubt that Gonzo meant for this thread to go off on this tangent, so I don't want to draw it out much further.  However, part of me feels like there are other people in the community who might share your views, and I'd like to answer your arguments to hopefully persuade them against this standard for cutting evidence.

Malgor

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 01:25:49 PM »

there can be only one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq4SqgxIKM0
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: