Author Topic: Scott Deatherage  (Read 122904 times)

SherryHall

Re: Scott Deatherage
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2009, 07:41:21 PM »
From Daryl Burch:

Debate has truly lost two formidable minds. i am proud to say that i knew them and am part of the community they worked hard to build. Love you Scott D and Ross S. db

SherryHall

« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2009, 07:47:26 PM »
From Chris Duke:

I didn't know him as well but have known Scott a long time - including memories of him borrowed from my HS coach who knew Scott as a HS debater at Friendswood (or Dickinson)...

I had also been following the work he was doing with NAUDL; had and still have it on "my radar" of things to be involved in possibly once I'm done with school (stupid ... See Moredissertation).

The impact he had more directly on people I knew and spent so much weekend time around/with at one point in my life - you included - was immense.

eharv

« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »
To all who knew Scott,

What a shock to learn of Scott's death at the time of Christmas and New Year celebrations.  I first became acquainted with Scott almost 32 years ago---tempus fugit.  I judged Scott in one of his first high school debates.  As a geezer, I do not recall for sure the debate topic; however, think that it was dealing with health care.  Back in the dark ages of debate, debaters used evidence (index) cards.  In the round, Scott rose to give his 1NR, as I recall.  Scott had his evidence cards on top of his flow pad and as he was about to begin----something happened----he tripped, and the index cards went flying in all directions all over the classroom.  I stopped the debate and told him to take his time to collect his cards, order them and his thoughts, and "not to worry."  I do not recall the outcome of the debate round, but I do remember that the young debater had impressed me, and I noted debate promise in him.  I judged Scott more times and my debate teams would work with the Friendswood High School teams and have practice debates.

In retrospect, I think that four circumstances led Scott to debate.  First, the loss of both of his parents; second, his intellect and being different from most of his Friendswood high school peers; third, the need for him to have something to hold onto and ground himself; and fourth, a caring and concerned debate sponsor (whose name I now cannot recall).

I followed Scott's career over the years; and just this year learned of his work as executive director of the National Association for Urban Debate Leagues.  I went to the organizational website and thought to myself that Scott now was assisting debaters who may have been much like himself in high school---needing something to hold onto.  And then on December 24, I received an e-mail from a former debater of mine, Chris Duke, informing me of Scott's condition.  I quickly thought back to the first time I ever saw Scott----almost 32 years ago----how time flies.

The best legacy an individual can have is found in the people that the person has touched and helped.  It is clear to me that Scott touched and helped many individuals.  All who were touched and helped should rejoice and celebrate his life and the fact that they had a chance to know Scott, "the Duck".  I know that I feel blessed to have known Scott Deatherage.

God speed.
"See ya,"
E. Harvey Craig (Retired---Hardin HS, Barbers Hill HS, & Lake Travis ISD)

SherryHall

« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2009, 01:31:38 PM »
From Jeff Wortman:

After losing three friends far too young in 2009, I am looking forward to the new year. Ron, Spencer and Scott did not know each other, but each in their own ways lived life to the fullest. I wish that I had more time with each of them. In 2010, I want to embrace life. I hope to reconnect with others who have been ...important to me as I have learned too often this year, that life can be too short.

SherryHall

« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2009, 09:48:52 AM »
From LaTanya Starks:

“I've had my heart beaten down, but I always come back for more, yeah. There's nothing like love to pull you up when you're laying down on the floor, yeah.” – Thanks to my family and friends for all your love and support. I love you all. Thinking of Duck tonight…May he rest in peace.

SherryHall

« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2009, 08:55:37 PM »
From Shirley McCaffity:

I know that I probably drove you crazy over Sean's college career; I called many times to just check on him and see how things were going and you always took the time to talk to me. Even when I sent balloon bouquets to NDT's in your name you were still gracious and let me know how much you appreciated getting them and ...carrying them in the elevator to Sean's room. You recognized Sean's talent and it was definitely your teaching and guidance that led him to the great success he had. Thank you for teaching my son, for watching over him and for being so kind to a crazy debate mother. We as a family will forever remember you.
Shirley McCaffity

SherryHall

« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2009, 08:56:35 PM »
From Lynn Barber:

I was Scott's colleague at the National High School Institute at Northwestern for about 10 or 12 years. Maybe more. He was truly a scholar and a gentleman. The last time I saw him we had drinks to discuss the future of some debate programs he was in charge of. He was always droll, passionate about young people & educat...ion, and fiercely compassionate. I respected and admired him greatly. I am grateful I got the chance to be in cahoots with him from time to time.

SherryHall

« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2009, 08:57:27 PM »
From Vance Riley:

I am so saddened by this loss. Scott was my high school classmate, fellow high school debater, and great person. We traveled to many tournaments together in high school and had some great times. He will be missed by all his Friendswood HS Speech friends. We knew he would go on to greatness

SherryHall

« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2009, 08:58:09 PM »
From Scott's Brother Don:

"I can thank the hundreds of Scott's (Ducks) friend's for allowing myself and family to learn what Duck was all about and how he touched and influence so many lives thru your posting's. I know I tried and maybe not hard enough to know my brother better but I always loved him and respected what... he did thru keeping up with him thru Diana and the college web site. I am sorry Scott's life was cut short that many our lives will not be touched by him but know thru grace of God that he is watching each and everyone of you and expects you all to continue on encouraging and supporting others that are like you were when Scott touched you.
In loving Memory Scott's Big Brother Don"

SherryHall

« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2009, 08:59:35 PM »
From Northwestern News Center:
http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2009/12/deatherage.html

December 30, 2009 | Staff
Scott Deatherage, Longtime Debate Coach, Dies at 47

'Debate Coach of the Decade' remembered for his patient and passionate guidance
By Wendy Leopold
EVANSTON, Ill. --- Debaters tend to avoid superlatives, but people who knew longtime Northwestern University Debate Society director Scott Deatherage have trouble avoiding them. Deatherage died Christmas day of a heart attack at age 47.

As director of Northwestern University Debate Society from 1991 to 2008, Deatherage simply was the "winningest" coach in the history of national collegiate debate.

"Without being careless in superlatives, he was the most accomplished debate coach in recent history and, it might not be unfair to say, the most accomplished debate coach in college debate overall," said Gordon Stables, president of the Cross Examination Debate Association (CEDA).

Deatherage left Northwestern in 2008 to become executive director of the National Association for Urban Debate Leagues. There he worked to bring debate -- long gone from inner city high schools -- back to them.

"Scott's name was synonymous with debate," said David Zarefsky, the former dean of the School of Communication who hired Deatherage in 1991 as director of Northwestern's debate team. "It was one of the best hiring decisions I ever made."

Under his leadership, the Northwestern debate team won an unprecedented seven National Debate Tournament (NDT) championships, including three back-to-back wins. Deatherage coached four individuals to Top Speaker awards at the NDT. In addition to other honors, Deatherage was named "Coach of the Decade" for the 1990s by his peers.

"He might also be named Coach of the Decade for the 2000s," Zarefsky said. Deatherage, who was a college debater at Baylor University, served as an assistant debate coach while earning his Ph.D. at Northwestern. "Scott was a respectable debater but he was a superb coach. He always saw the big picture and the details at the same time."

Known as the Duck, Deatherage earned the respect and friendship of his student debaters, who have created a Facebook page in his honor. Called "Honoring and Celebrating the Life of Scott Deatherage," it has been growing by hundreds of members a day.

In addition, the presidents of the three major national debate organizations -- the NDT, CEDA and the American Debate Association -- have organized a tribute.

"There's no doubt that the Duck was instrumental in shaping some of the greatest debaters of all time," said former Northwestern debate team member Shuman Sohrn, a 1999 Northwestern graduate. "I want to make sure people also realize that he was as good at turning directionless students into successful students as at turning decent debaters into good debaters."

"For Scott, it was all about team -- about teammates as family, teamwork as a foundational principle, and winning and losing as a team as an ethos which drove all else," said Northwestern alumnus and two-time NDT champion Ryan Sparacino. He is an attorney at Winston and Strawn LLP in Washington, D.C.

"My debate partner, Mike Gottlieb, and I were fortunate to experience a lot of success as the ‘top team' at Northwestern for a couple of years," Sparacino added. "But Scott was just as happy to see a team of novices succeed in their first (debate) outing as he was to see the top team win a national championship."

"Scott Deatherage has been instrumental in everything I have achieved since the moment I walked onto the Northwestern campus," said Gottlieb, who the day after Obama's inauguaration became Special Assistant to the President and Associate White House Counsel. "I am 100% certain that I would not be where I am today without Scott's patient and passionate guidance."

Deatherage is survived by his sister, Diana Baldwin, and by brothers Donald, Patrick, and Michael Deatherage and William Lechner. Memorial service plans are pending. In lieu of flowers, family members ask that donations go to the National Association for Urban Debate Leagues or the Northwestern University Debate Society.

SherryHall

« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2009, 09:00:16 PM »
From John Jackson:

I think everyone here knew Scott better than I did. My last debate ever was against Deatherage and Dyer: 8th round of of the 1984 NDT. We lost on a 2-1--they went on to octafinals, we went home. I remember thinking that if we had to lose like that, at least it was to people who were genuinely nice guys. I am saddened to hear of his premature passing.

SherryHall

« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2009, 09:01:39 PM »
From Charley Boynton:

The Duck was the reason that went to (and got into) Northwestern. I am forever greatful for having known him. I think that this picture of him and Luke celebrating after the 2004 NDT sums it up.

SherryHall

« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2009, 09:02:21 PM »
From Mark Webber:

I didn't know Scott on a close personal level but I attended the Northwestern Coaches' camp for two or three summers when I was a young coach learning how to coach. I still use one of the lessons he gave us in my classes every year. Realizing that Scott was only a year older than me is daunting because he probably achi...eved more in his life time than most of us could ever achieve in several lifetimes. Scott was a great teacher, coach and a great person. He was always
generous with his time and energy and will always be remembered by me
for that. My condolences to his family and I hope that they can celebrate what a full life Scott had from the words that people have left on this page.
Rest in peace brother. mark webber

SherryHall

« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2009, 09:03:54 PM »
From Amy Stroessler:

Scott was one of the sweetest most intelligent men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. My condolences go out to his family and the hundreds of people who are grieving. We love you Scott.

SherryHall

« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2009, 09:05:02 PM »
From Steven Schneider:

Two memories of the Duck I'd like to share:
 Tue at 11:08pm
Having debated for 4 years for Cori and also having attended institute for 2 summers at Northwestern, there is no doubt I had my fair share of odd, quirky interactions with the Duck. After my final debate at the NDT (there were never any elimination rounds, just another uncerimonious 4-4 or 3-5 exit), he sought me out to congratulate me on my debate career. I don't remember exactly what he said, but I do remember it made me cry. To him, it didn't matter that I wasn't very good at this activity I had devoted so much time and effort to-- he was one of the few that was able to see beyond debate "success" and respectfully recognized the personal accomplishments of my 7 year debate journey.

I randomly ran into Duck while having dinner at a restaurant in Evanston in 2005-ish. It had been a good 7 years since I had seen him last. When I saw him at the restaurant he was so incredibly nice to me-- he remembered who I was, wanted to hear about all of the stuff that I had been up to. He gave me his business card and told me to call him in case I wanted to get back involved (I was living in Chicago at the time). I'm sure he didn't realize it, but that one seemingly innocuous conversation meant a lot to me-- I remember that same rare feeling of debate acceptance afterwards that he had offered to me at the NDT. This time, instead of making me cry, he left with with a wide, glowing smile.