Author Topic: Scott Deatherage  (Read 121867 times)

SherryHall

Re: Scott Deatherage
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2009, 08:56:49 PM »
From William John Sullivan aka "Sully" :

Duck, Thanks for that long chat after the Kentucky RR round against Michigan -- that advice stuck with me for a long time. Thanks for semi-secretly rooting for us (except when you were too busy kicking our ass, which, yeah, thanks). Thanks for all the drinks and stories on the corner of the Applebee's bar.
Thanks for proving that you can be both a frustratingly unbeatable competitor and an inspiring educator. I wish I'd known you better but I know enough to miss you.

lukephill

« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2009, 09:00:03 PM »
From Kristin Langwell:

Goodbye to a friend and mentor who constantly reminded me, even when I didn't believe it, that I belonged and mattered. Thanks for the friendship, the advice, encouragement and support. Grateful for the chance to have known you Duck...

SherryHall

« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2009, 09:01:38 PM »
From Monte Stevens:

thinks it's sad that in this, the season of giving, I am once again mourning the loss of one of a debate icon. When Eric and I were making our "NDT debut" at Northwestern, the first person welcome us to the club was Duck. From then on, he was supportive of my success as a competitor and a coach. I will never forget ...his generosity and his support. My thoughts are with the Northwestern debate family.

SherryHall

« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2009, 09:02:43 PM »
From Sanket Bulsara:

fondly remembers how Duck gave him and Carl tickets to the 1996 Rose Bowl and treated us like we were part of his NU debate family that day, telling us that we would learn a little something about real college football. A wonderful man with a big heart who will be sorely missed.

SherryHall

« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2009, 09:04:53 PM »
From Christopher Martin:

Scott Deatherage, Executive Director of the National Association for Urban Debate Leagues, one of the winningest college debate coaches of the last two decades and my friend for 25 years, is no longer with us. The joyous holiday season has been tempered for all of us whose lives were impacted by his brillance, his enc...ouragement and his kindness. Duck, you will be missed but your legacy lives on in the lives of those whom you influenced across the country.

SherryHall

« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2009, 09:06:57 PM »
From Eric Lanning:

'Just promise you will debate somewhere, I'd recommend Northwestern, but really anywhere will do, please just debate' - The Duck. I will never forget his passion for life and debate, it was the definition of inspiring. My thoughts and prayers are with the Wildcats tonight.

lukephill

« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2009, 09:40:30 PM »
From Lauren Weinstein (NU '07)

Grateful to Duck for all the great memories of institutes, rogers houses, and tournaments. Wishing love and comfort to all my NU debate friends. Merry Christmas Eve and Feliz Noche Buena

Had a great Christmas, but it was tempered with loss. Much love to all my NU debate friends, Duck you will be missed and remembered

SherryHall

« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2009, 09:58:42 PM »
From Eric Morris:

is really sad about Duck's passing. I had the honor to vote with him on what I believe was his last college panel (NDT octos, 2008). Although I did get my chance to speak, there wasn't much needing to be said, as his decision was thorough. There are really few people with such an overwhelming effect on improving the q...uality of college debate in the last few decades. He was such a class act!

lukephill

« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
From Seth Gannon (WFU '09):

Couldn't fall asleep tonight until I wrote down these three episodes. If you read only one, make it number three, so you know why I will be eternally thankful to Duck.

I got 80% of the way to the tag limit with NU people alone. Trying to tag a limited number of people from memory is really hard, so I'm very sorry if I left you off. I promise I didn't mean anything by it.

I love all of you and should probably tell you that more often.

s

1. Summer 2003, Evanston: Duck watched one of my practice debates at camp, in the Hardy House. Sixty-five seconds into my 2NC, I finished my overview, and he stopped his timer. “Dude,” he said. “No.”

In my few interactions with him in high school, I never knew exactly what to make of Duck. I learned a lot every time I talked to him. That was for sure. I decided that I really wanted to impress him. That was easier decided than done, and I consistently said the stupidest stuff when he was around.

Two weeks after the TOC my senior year, about two months after I decided I was going to debate at Wake Forest and not Northwestern, I got an email from him. It was two paragraphs long. The first paragraph congratulated me on my (honestly rather meager) successes in high school, along with his (honestly rather generous) commentary on their difficulty. The second paragraph wished me all the best in debate and other pursuits as a Demon Deacon.

That email is easily on the short list for the single nicest, least expected note I’ve ever received.

2. Fall 2005, Lexington: The first round of our second college tournament was the first time that Duck judged Alex and me. We were up against it, on the negative against a strong team from Harvard. To begin his decision, Duck stood up, wandered to the cart we had for our tubs, rocked back and forth on it, while looking at us and declaring, “Back to the drawing board, Wake Forest!” Twenty minutes of helpful but scathing commentary followed. He advised us to wake up on Monday and watched some good teams in the elims.

Two days later, Monday morning, we were in the elims by the skin of our teeth and up against the same team from Harvard. We lost all three judges and made it look easy. Duck opened his decision by tapping his flows, looking at us, and saying, “Better!” Twenty minutes of helpful but scathing commentary followed.

On our way out, one of us noted that we would spend the rest of the day watching good teams. Duck laughed… and made clear that it would be a good idea.

3. Summer 2009, Evanston: I was working at the Northwestern camp when Ross died. It was—as we all know after living through this year—so very difficult. Duck was of course no longer running the camp (and everyone who was running it also took incredible care of me), but he was worried about me. He talked to me—a lot. He listened even more. He offered to come in and teach my lab for as long as I didn’t feel up to it. He made sure I was able to return to Winston-Salem for the services, which he also attended. He did everything he could and tried to do more.

Duck had known Ross far longer than I had, and from the tremendously empathetic things he said I knew how tough the tragedy was on him. Not for an instant, though, did his concern seem to be for himself. I’ll be forever thankful for the care Duck took of me last summer, and I’ll never forget the very long but all too short hug and the many but far too few tears we exchanged when we saw one another in Winston-Salem.

Scott Deatherage, even in our limited interactions over only a few years, was a great, great man. I will miss him.

Many of my dearest friends in debate come from Northwestern, for which I thank Duck. Please, if you are a friend and mentor to them as Duck made himself to me, even if they are no more officially your students than I was his, please be as good to them now as he was to me last summer.

Merry Christmas. I miss you all, and I’m so sorry.

lukephill

« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2009, 09:53:41 AM »
From Jason Rickard (NU '10)

I'm going to try and share some stories one post at a time. everytime duck and i drove somewhere he would change the radio station every 30 seconds or so creating a mix tape effect to all of our trips. there were very few exceptions to this habbit but one incident in particular sticks out. i was driving him to his apartment and ring of fire by johnny cash came on and he started singing quietly. another habit of his. i began to hum or whistle along. without me saying a word the Duck interjected, "of course you love johnny cash, you are from kansas." the duck was right and he let that song finish.

more later,
jason

"you all ARE my children" - SD

Cody

« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2009, 11:13:34 AM »
One of my favorite "Duckism's" was watching him prepare for the end of camp lecture.  He was extraordinarily intense but that wasn't what was amusing....  The whole time he was psyching himself out prior to the lecture he was listening to Whitesnake, yes Whitesnake.  He had the music on so loud that we could all hear Whitesnake while simultaneously observing Duck.  I loved this ritual and I was lucky enough to watch it 8 or so times.  Another memory I have of the Duck occurred at the 1998 Salt Lake NDT.  They were announcing speaker awards and once they had announced 2ND speaker he instantly knew Micheal Gottleib had won top speaker.  Duck started jumping up and down hysterically ( I already understood why he earned the nickname but this particular example was without comparison).  I was standing next to the Duck so I got bounced on a few times.  It was awesome seeing Duck so happy, but that wasn't what struck me....  He was filled with PRIDE and excitement for Michael.  No one can say that the Duck didn't love to win, but those who knew him always knew that he loved his students even more. 

More Stories to come...

Cody Morrow

jonahfeldman

« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
When I was coaching at Texas the Duck judged our debaters in an NDT prelim panel on the courts topic.  He voted for us in somewhat of an upset and gave Chris Thiele a 29.5.  He then sought me out after the debate to say how good Thiele had been and how he had considered for a long time giving him a thirty for a bunch of reasons that he then listed.  Later in the day he found me again to say that he for sure should have given Thiele a thirty and really regretted that he hadn't.  After the tournament he sent a lengthy e-mail to Joel and me going through what it means to earn 30 speaker points in a debate and why Thiele had done that.  It will always stick with me how much he cared about debaters, about the activity, and about even seemingly minor details like what it means to earn thirty speaker points.  I'll miss his wisdom, eccentricity, and passion about debate tremendously.

stables

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2009, 01:07:37 PM »
Duck Dinner in Chicago Re-Post (Just in case)

Today at 1:25pm
This was e-mailed to everyone we could think of, and posted to the Facebook group, but I am re-posting it in case we have missed anyone. If someone with posting privileges on the CEDA forum wants to place it there as well, that would be great.

Thanks.

DS

Hello Everyone,

This is LaTonya Starks. Dan Shalmon and I are putting together a dinner for this evening for all of the people who are, or will potentially be, in Chicago tonight. This is an informal gathering amongst friends. We are hoping to get a group of people together who knew and loved Duck and would like to share each other's company during this difficult time. I know there are some folks who would appreciate not being alone right now. We want anyone who feels like they are grieving and can stand to be in the company of others to attend if possible. There are some people in Chicago from out of town who will be present and could use the moral support.

We have deliberately casted a wide net to attract as many of you as possible. Please feel free to pass along this email and my contact information to anyone you think might want to attend this evening.

The restaurant will be in downtown Chicago, and will be a Duck favorite. We plan on eating around 7:30pm, though this time is somewhat flexible. More details will be forthcoming. Please email me at latonyastarks@gmail.com or call my cell at 312.316.6102 if you would like to attend.

Thanks for your time and hope to see you this evening,
LaTonya
Gordon Stables
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
Director of Debate & Forensics
Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism
University of Southern California

lukephill

« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2009, 01:46:01 PM »
Dinner update II- From Dan Shalmon

For those of you doing long-distance trip planning already, we have narrowed it down to two spots that Duck loved:

Gino's East:
633 N. Wells St. (Ontario and Wells)
Chicago, IL 60610
(312) 943-1124
Fax: (312) 943-9589

Yoshi's Cafe
3257 North Halsted Street
Chicago, IL 60657-3419
(773) 248-6160

We'll try to set the location by early this afternoon so people can plan and move easily. Our ability to do so is constrained by the operating hours of the restaurants, so please be patient.

Hope to see everyone there.

DS

SherryHall

« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2009, 02:12:11 PM »
From Robert Wood:

For the message board:

I never knew the Duck well, because he graduated the year before my freshman year at Baylor.  However, I vividly recall Erik Walker's descriptions of Scott's practice speeches.  According to Erik, Scott would be giving a 2AC and would be into minute seven responding to one disad, even though he had two other disads and case arguments to cover.  Erik would stop him and yell and/or throw his pen.  "Everything he said was great," Erik said, "but . . ."

Grant him eternal rest, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.

Merry Christmas, all.