Author Topic: Assistant Coach -- University of Rochester  (Read 3004 times)

URDU

Assistant Coach -- University of Rochester
« on: April 12, 2012, 01:41:31 PM »
The University of Rochester seeks an Assistant Debate Coach for the 2012-2013 school year. This posting is unofficial because the position has not yet received final approval.

Our debate team is large and diverse. We believe our responsibility is to teach debate to as many students as possible. Our least experienced debater is the most important person on our team. To that end, we traveled over 80 students to debate tournaments during the 2011-12 season. We hope to break the century mark for next year’s participation. In addition to spreading debate, we also like to win. Our policy debate program is well respected and competes at the highest levels. Our World’s Format (British Parliamentary) program regularly advances at regional tournaments and is poised for a break-out performance. Our students are hungry and they need dynamic new debate experts to help them get to the next level.

The right person for this job is responsible, creative, enthusiastic, and self-directed. The ability to coach both novice and veteran debaters is a must. This position is demanding, but if you love debate, you will love working with the UR Debate Union. This is a coaching only position, meaning there is no graduate school or classroom teaching requirement.

Responsibilities include successfully transporting students to debate tournaments, teaching argumentation and debate strategies to U of R students, directing winning research initiatives, recruiting new debaters, and some occasional light administrative tasks. Primarily, the Assistant Debate Coach will help students improve their debating ability. This requires holding regular office hours, attending team and coach meetings, and judging practice debates throughout the week and sometimes on weekends. In order to drive vans for the team, you need to have a valid driver’s license and safe driving record.

Salary is approximately $15,000/9 month appointment with health benefits (see
http://www.rochester.edu/working for more information on the health plans). Coaches also earn judging fees ($200) for each tournament they judge. You should expect to attend around 15 tournaments throughout the season.

Please see any of our current or former assistant coaches to get the inside scoop on working with the U of R debate team. Gordie Miller, Alia Bellwood, and Alex Martel are open books who will gladly give you the information you seek. Look for them this weekend at the USU World's National Championship!

Kind regards,

Ken

--
Ken R. Johnson
Director of Forensics
English Department
University of Rochester

Office: 585-273-5223
Cell: 585-781-004

Debate Blog: http://universityofrochesterdebate.wordpress.com

Sarahjane

Re: Assistant Coach -- University of Rochester
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 05:37:25 PM »
I did this job my first year out and can't say enough about how awesome it is. The pay is not fantastic- but for what it is, its actually great. The cost of living in Rochester is dirt cheap, the coaching staff is fun, the students are smart and hungry for debate, the program is well supported with great facilities and it is rare to find a coaching job of this sort that also comes with full benefits. Its a great thing to do for a year or two while figuring out what to do with the rest of your life. I frequently refer to the year I was at Rochester as perhaps the most fun year I've had in debate. Just coach and cut cards and get the debate geek in you out of your system before you move onto something with more responsibility (administrative duties, teaching, grad school, whatever).....not to say that Ken doesn't demand responsibility- someone has to make up for his shortcomings :)