Author Topic: UNLV Assistant Director of Debate position  (Read 2121 times)

jakethompson

UNLV Assistant Director of Debate position
« on: January 28, 2013, 03:34:49 PM »
The Communication Studies Department and the Sanford I. Berman Debate Forum at the University of Nevada Las Vegas invites applications for a position (non-tenure track, non-permanent, Letter of Appointment) to serve as the Assistant Director of Debate of the University of Nevada Las Vegas’ Sanford I. Berman Debate Forum.  The Assistant Director of Debate will act as a classroom instructor, and will assist in coaching and directing the University’s Debate Team.

Responsibilities include teaching 3 courses per semester in Communication Studies or other relevant courses in the Greenspun College of Urban Affairs, coaching and teaching debate skills, assisting debaters with the preparation of arguments, coordinating research efforts and completing files, traveling with the team to tournaments, judging at tournaments, assisting with student recruitment, assisting with tournament hosting, watching practice debates, participating in or running debate  staff and team meetings and other duties as needed.

A master’s degree is required and five years active participation in intercollegiate debate as a debater and/or coach. The ideal candidate will be an experienced teacher, debate educator, and team administrator.

This is a one-year position, which may or may not be renewable, depending on several factors including but not limited to available funding, and course demand.  Salary is competitive, and health insurance benefits are included.  Additional compensation is possible (but not guaranteed) for teaching summer courses, and for working with the Sanford I. Berman Debate Forum’s summer high school debate institute.

Review of applications will begin February 1, 2013 and will continue until the position is filled. 

Qualified candidates should send: 
(1)   a letter  of application summarizing  teaching and debate experience
(2)   a teaching philosophy,
(3)   current CV, and
(4)   three letters of recommendation to:

Jacob Thompson
Director, Sanford I. Berman Debate Forum and
Assistant Professor in Residence
Department of Communication Studies
Greenspun College of Urban Affairs
University of Nevada Las Vegas
4505 S. Maryland Pkwy.