College Policy Debate Forums
October 23, 2018, 07:46:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Debate Rounds Live Stream  (Read 12804 times)
rsl3

« on: March 30, 2013, 01:58:34 PM »

I am streaming debates. Any debate I stream is also saved to the channel. You can find my channel here:

justin.tv/gtdebatestream
rsl3

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 03:46:56 PM »

All rounds I streamed are saved to the channel. You can view them whenever you want. As a backup, in case justin.tv decides to not cooperate anymore, I have offline copies of the videos. I will be uploading them to this Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHjQk7L3qVKmfS0y-94ax9w?feature=guide

If anyone wants an offline copy of a particular debate, feel free to email me at risaenz@gmail(dot)com

You should install ad block if you don't like the ads. I don't have any control over them and don't benefit from them.

Complete videos I have/were streamed: (they can be found here: http://www.justin.tv/gtdebatestream/videos?page=1)

Round 3: Oklahoma LM vs Emporia SW
Round 4: Wake BM vs JMU BL
Round 5: Harvard BS vs West Georgia DF
Round 6: Minnesota CE vs Georgetown AM
Round 7: Michigan AP vs Minnesota CL
Round 8: Emory DH vs Northwestern LV
Doubles: Texas GM vs Stanford GS
Octos: West Georgia DF vs Harvard DT
Quarters: Emporia SW vs Wake Forest LM
Semis: Northwestern LV vs Georgetown AM
Finals: Emporia SW vs Northwestern LV

Thanks for the support. I am happy that this project was a success and helped individuals feel like they were at the tournament even though they could not make the trip to Utah.

-Ricardo Saenz
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:59:48 PM by rsl3 » Logged
jdd

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »

I don't know enough about CEDA forums to know whether this post is redundant.   What I do know is that is the HS and college debate communities owe an enormous amount of gratitude to Ricardo and his moderating assistants. 

A few years ago Repko live-blogged his decision during the NDT finals.  At one point, he remarked:

"I wish even more people would watch the final round. I mean… really… everyone should watch." 

I really couldn't agree more.  As several people noted last night, there were over 1000 separate accounts streaming the final round.  Several of these streams were being beamed to groups of people having final round watching parties.  You could feel the energy and presence of a large live audience as well. 

...which means (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that this was the most watched NDT final round, and by a wide margin. 

A lot of that had to do with four excellent competitors who represented the kind of excellence that the NDT is all about.

But the vast majority of those views would not have been possible with out Ricardo and his moderating assistants. At an NDT where an enormous amount of unprecedented (and important) history was made, lets not overlook this part of it. 

Much love to ya'll for making it happen. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:16:10 PM by jdd » Logged
Paul Elliott Johnson

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 10:44:26 PM »

Second all of this. Despite not being at the NDT, I got to spend a few hours with my really good friends watching some debates and still feeling like I was a part of our yearly ritual. Thank you a lot, Ricardo and the moderators.

talonpowers

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 10:46:37 AM »

I talked to some people at the tournament about this, but it seems to me that this should not only become a regular part of the NDT, but that if anything it should be expanded.  Watching that stream was at times like the dream of watching Debate ESPN, with a ticker at the bottom streaming updates, with a graphic overlay indicating time, critics, etc, and with the ability to watch the entirety of some amazing debates.  Hopefully this only become more prevalent and more technically advanced at future NDTs.
rsl3

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »

Thanks for the words of gratitude - it means a lot to me personally especially given the chain of events that led to me being in Utah.

I hope that this can expand in the future. I think that it would be awesome to have rounds streamed at every tournament, not just the NDT. I have bigger plans for this project, as this was just a makeshift quickly put together based on an idea I got the Friday before the NDT. Look for the announcement after Georgia Tech finals are done (early May).

As for the overlay, I am glad people enjoyed it. Hopefully I can make it more professional looking in the future. I really liked the idea of multiple cameras, too. While I won't be streaming any more tournaments this year, I do have big plans over the summer to make this specific stream more official. It looks like either youtube or twitch.tv could be better options for the channel.

If you have any ideas, concerns, comments etc.... please feel free to find me on facebook (Ricardo Saenz) or email me at risaenz(at)gmail(d0t)com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: