College Policy Debate Forums
October 21, 2018, 11:19:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Requesting assistance from the debate community – please help me graduate!  (Read 2866 times)
NathanStewart

« on: February 24, 2010, 04:08:10 PM »

Dear CEDA/NDT coaches, graduate assistants, judges, competitors, and friends of debate,

My name is Nathan Stewart and I am the graduate assistant to the debate team at Illinois State University. I am currently attempting to collect data for my master’s thesis. The purpose of my thesis is to examine how participation in CEDA/NDT debate affects student political engagement. I am posting this message because I am in need of the debate community’s help. I need as many CURRENT CEDA/NDT debaters to complete my web-based survey as possible (link is provided below). Ideally, I’m looking for about 200 participants from this group. Additionally, I would ask that you forward this message to any debaters that you have contact with that are currently active in the activity. The survey should take about 10-15 minutes. Be assured that all survey responses are confidential and no identifying information will be collected. This study has received all necessary approval from IRB at my university, and I have received permission from Dr. Gordon Stables to post this request on CEDA Forums. Your participation in this study would be greatly appreciated. It is my hope that the results of this survey will assist in emphasizing the important role of CEDA/NDT debate in achieving the stated academic goals (civically and politically engaged student body) of universities’ around the country. The link to the survey is: http://www.ctltbeta.ilstu.edu/surveys/stewartSurvey3/ If you have any questions about the survey or about my research, feel free to email me at ntstewa@ilstu.edu Thanks in advance for your assistance and/or participation.

Nathan T. Stewart
Graduate Assistant
School of Communication
Illinois State University Debate Team
Campus Box 4480
Illinois State University
Normal, Il 61790-4480
Fell 280D - Office
Fell 040 - Debate Lab
NathanStewart

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 12:02:09 PM »

I apologize for the repetition if you’ve already read this, but the number of surveys I’ve received thus far is very low. I’m reposting this in the hope that people that have already forwarded this information on would please do so again, and in the hope that new people will see it. Please see below:

Dear CEDA/NDT coaches, graduate assistants, judges, competitors, and friends of debate,

My name is Nathan Stewart and I am the graduate assistant to the debate team at Illinois State University. I am currently attempting to collect data for my master’s thesis. The purpose of my thesis is to examine how participation in CEDA/NDT debate affects student political engagement. I am posting this message because I am in need of the debate community’s help. I need as many CURRENT CEDA/NDT debaters to complete my web-based survey as possible (link is provided below). Ideally, I’m looking for about 200 participants from this group. Additionally, I would ask that you forward this message to any debaters that you have contact with that are currently active in the activity. The survey should take about 10-15 minutes. Be assured that all survey responses are confidential and no identifying information will be collected. This study has received all necessary approval from IRB at my university, and I have received permission from Dr. Gordon Stables to post this request on CEDA Forums. Your participation in this study would be greatly appreciated. It is my hope that the results of this survey will assist in emphasizing the important role of CEDA/NDT debate in achieving the stated academic goals (civically and politically engaged student body) of universities’ around the country. The link to the survey is: http://www.ctltbeta.ilstu.edu/surveys/stewartSurvey3/ If you have any questions about the survey or about my research, feel free to email me at ntstewa@ilstu.edu Thanks in advance for your assistance and/or participation.

Nathan T. Stewart
Graduate Assistant
School of Communication
Campus Box 4480
Normal, Il 61790-4480
Fell 280D - Office
Fell 040 - Debate Lab
NathanStewart

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 09:20:15 AM »

I’m making another plea to recruit participants for my thesis study that examines how participation in CEDA/NDT debate affects student political engagement. So far I’ve received only 26 completed surveys of the 200 I need to complete the study. I want to thank those of you that have already taken and/or forwarded my request on to other debaters. If you’ve already passed this along, I would ask that you please resend the original message and urge students to participate. If you’re seeing this for the first time, please forward the original message (pasted below) on to as many CURRENT CEDA/NDT debaters as possible. I appreciate any help you can provide so I can graduate on time!

Original Message:

Nathan T. Stewart
Graduate Assistant
School of Communication
Campus Box 4480
Normal, Il 61790-4480
Fell 280D - Office
Fell 040 - Debate Lab
NathanStewart

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 01:14:20 PM »

I hope everyone had an enjoyable and productive season. Now that the season has concluded, or at least is winding down, I wanted to ask again for current CEDA/NDT participants to participate in my survey. As of today, I only have 35 participants of the 200 participant goal. I DESPERATELY need your help. Please read the following text to find out more information about how your participation can help the debate community, as well as the completion of my project.

ATTENTION COLLEGIATE DEBATERS:

•   The activity that we love and has benefited us in numerous ways is beginning to show signs of decline. Debate programs are losing funding, on the verge of being cut, or already gone.

•   A project is currently underway that will hopefully make it difficult for administrators to justify future cuts. If successful, this project will help protect programs and potentially return lost programs to the activity.

•   This project attempts to make a connection between participation in collegiate debate and aptitudes conducive to student civic and political engagement through empirical study. This is relevant because:
-   Most colleges and universities across the country identify civic and/or political engagement as part of their institutional goals implicitly or explicitly.*
-   There has been significant scholarly and media attention given to the need for more civic and political participation training in undergraduate education.*

•   However, the success of this project requires a 10-15 minute commitment from as many current competitors as possible. Please go to http://www.ctltbeta.ilstu.edu/surveys/stewartSurvey3/ and take a short survey. Be assured that all survey responses are confidential and no identifying information will be collected. This study has received all necessary approval from IRB at my university.

•   10-15 minutes of your time could mean the preservation of the activity as we know it for future generations of competitors. Once completed, this study will be published and used to justify the necessity of debate to those that do not and cannot understand why debate is so important. If you have any questions, feel free to email Nathan Stewart at ntstewa@ilstu.edu Thank you in advance for your participation!

* Colby, A., Beaumont, E., Ehrlich, T., & Corngold, J. (2007). Educating for democracy: Preparing undergraduates for responsible political engagement. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
* Colby, A., Ehrlich, T., Beaumont, E., & Stephens, J. (2003). Educating citizens: Preparing America’s undergraduates for lives of moral and civic responsibility. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: