College Policy Debate Forums
November 13, 2018, 04:53:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Sodikow  (Read 25047 times)
SherryHall

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2014, 06:28:36 AM »

Very sorry to hear that Richard Sodikow passed away. I knew him when he was a legendary teacher and debate coach at Bronx Science High school. I was fortunate to work with several of his former students. I understand he was quite the Shakespeare teacher as well. Godspeed, Richard,.
SherryHall

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2014, 06:29:34 AM »

"Close the doors" on a major chapter of debate history. Mary Peart and all the debaters and parents who were hosted at Bronx will mourn his loss.
SherryHall

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 06:32:46 AM »

Craig Albert

"Sodikow" was a form of tzadik -- a righteous man. Richard was a great man. He was tough, to be sure, but to me there was no greater teacher and, above all, a loyal, caring friend. I owe him so much. Rest in peace, Richard.
SherryHall

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 06:38:22 AM »

I'm very sorry to hear of the passing of Richard Sodikow. He was a Thundering voice and a Commanding presence in the debate community. (And a Commanding voice and a Thundering presence. He was loud.) One of the truly Legendary people in the activity. My favorite Sodikow legend involves a Cathedral, a Christmas tree, and The Gar...
SherryHall

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 06:39:54 AM »

Chris Owens (Director of Youth Diversion and Reentry Programs-Brooklyn DAs Office)

This is a truly sad moment ... Richard Sodikow was someone who built character in his students and disciples. I am one of many who owe him so much. Rest in peace, great man.
SherryHall

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 06:57:18 AM »

The National Speech & Debate Association and entire speech and debate community lost a legend, Richard Sodikow. I am grateful to Jon Cruz for introducing me to this kind man. Seeing him speak at the 2013 Barkley Forum for High Schools was a treat, and certainly an education. I have included a link to that video here, for anyone who may not have seen it. Rest in peace, Richard! feeling sad.
SherryHall

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 06:58:16 AM »

Today is truly a very sad day for debate. Richard B. Sodikow, founder of the Bronx High School of Science Forensics Program, wasn't just a legend; he was, is, and will remain THE legend for many generations of debaters, both here in the Northeast and nationally.

Team Collegiate will honor his memory next week, at our team dinner, by prominently displaying the Richard B. Sodikow Cup (Lincoln-Douglas championship traveling trophy.)

On a personal level, it feels almost uncanny that Richard should have died the year the New York City Invitational's LD championship came home to NYC, through the brilliant career of his successor's (Jon Cruz ) student's (Me, Aracelis Biel ) student (AOD.) I'd like to think that makes Richard a sort of Great Great Uncle to our team, in terms of Debate Genealogy.

So, for the final time: CLOSE THE DOORS, at least here on Earth: Our national Forensics Family has lost one of its greatest.
SherryHall

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 07:00:03 AM »

I am in total shock. Mr. Sodikow played an important role in my life, encouraging me in debate and speech and making me believe that I could open my mouth in front of people. He will always be remembered and I hope he took with him the memories of hundreds of not thousands of lives on which he left a positive imprint and of whom he improved greatly.
SherryHall

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 07:00:58 AM »

"If you want to be on this team, at the end of every competition you need to be able to answer three questions in the affirmative: (1) did I try my best, (2) did I have fun, (3) did I learn something." It wasn't until a few years later that I realized just how important the absence of "did I win" from the list in Mr. Sodikow's novice meeting speech was.
SherryHall

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 07:01:25 AM »

Very sorry to hear this. I debated for Lakeland in the late 80's and Mr. Sodikow was a great coach, a huge figure on the circuit who worked tirelessly to make the circuit function as it should and helped expand it by supporting other teams and tournaments. His teams were great, good people and it was always a great challenge to compete against them. My condolences to his family and the Bronx Speech & Debate Team.
SherryHall

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2014, 07:07:47 AM »

Billy Tate and Richard are dining in style in the gourmet section of heaven.
SherryHall

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2014, 07:08:28 AM »

Richard impacted so many young lives, including my own. The thousands of us (Bronx Science Speech and Debate students and competitors alike) who learned some amazing life skills under his tutelage are incredibly fortunate. A sad passing indeed.
SherryHall

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2014, 08:54:23 PM »

Such sad news today for the Debate Community. Our community lost a great legend today. Attending Bronx Science Debate Tournament all 4 years of High School, I had the tremendous honor of hearing Richard Sodikow bellow out to the audience CLOSE THE DOORS. But more than that, I learned as a kid that there were adults that were very passionate about debate and that there were educators that would defend this activity against all naysayers and detractors. Bronx Science Debate Tournament was a place so many young debaters in the Northeast called home because of Richard Sodikow. There was a power and majesty he brought to this tournament. And his team also - we all can remember from that generation getting a pairing and debating Bronx DD (yes, there 30th team and they were good!). It was fitting that at the steps walking into the doors at Bronx Science my Senior Year I would meet a George Mason University Debate Team coach Joe Willmore who recruited me to debate there and that fate would carry me through the next 8 years (no not all of them as a debater!). Every future encounter with Richard was like walking back in time as he could remember and keep me up to date on every debater I competed against from Bronx - what a memory that man had. I am so thankful that Jon Cruz took over Bronx and has returned the tournament back to what it was. Capitol Debate will honor Richard this year by sending everyone we have to the Bronx in October 2014. Rest in Peace Richard.
Like Share
SherryHall

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2014, 08:56:05 PM »

Deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Richard Sodikow, my first debate coach and a formidable teacher who knew how to motivate, inspire, challenge and push one to never settle for less than their best. Sure, you terrified me at times, but also surprised me with unexpected (and much appreciated) sensitivity, concern and encouragement when I needed it most. RIP...
SherryHall

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2014, 08:56:33 PM »

Very sorry to hear about the loss of Mr Sodikow. And so grateful for all he did for students and debate.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: