College Policy Debate Forums
September 20, 2018, 02:38:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WVU tournament is on!  (Read 5601 times)
neil berch

« on: September 15, 2014, 06:24:18 PM »

P.S.  to whomever runs this thing:  how do we get a November category for WVU tournament?
Hi, everyone!  After a frantic week of classroom negotiations, hotel negotiations, communications with the community, and intra-squad discussions, I can now report that WVU will indeed host on November 14-16 (opposite Wake, replacing the cancelled App. St. tournament).  A full invite will be out in 10-14 days, but in the meantime, here are some details:
1.    We will run 6 rounds in all three divisions, plus the requisite number of outrounds.  We will start with 2 rounds on Friday, beginning at 4:00 or 4:30.  Four rounds, plus any Doubles, on Saturday.  Remaining outrounds plus awards (including some special awards) on Sunday.
2.   The tournament hotel will be the Hampton Inn of Morgantown, a very nice facility.  They also serve a very good breakfast buffet beginning at 6 am.  The rate is $99 per night, with a small number of rooms available both Thursday and Sunday nights.  For Friday and Saturday, we have 37 rooms with 2 double beds, and then a bunch of rooms with a king and a double sofabed.  The block will open later this week (after I sign contract) and close two weeks before the tournament.
3.   We will not be seeking ADA sanctioning (people on both sides of this question have asked).
4.   The tournament will be cheap, because it will be cheap.  We will offer some snacks between rounds 1 and 2, coffee and snacks throughout Saturday and Sunday.  Breakfast both days is at the hotel.  On Saturday (during the pairing break for round 5), lunch will be on your own at the Mountainlair Student Union (multiple choices, cheap food; this worked well at our last JV/Novice Nationals).  On Sunday, after awards, we will provide a box lunch (to facilitate both the start of the next outround and the ability of people who are departing to do so promptly but with food).
5.   We will be hiring 2-3 outside judges (beyond those hired by schools) to improve both the quality and diversity of the judging pool (we should also be able to put those judges up at the hotel).  If you have suggestions for people we should hire, please email me or message me.
6.   There will be a 3 person tab room that reflects the diversity of the community. 
7.   It looks as though we will have to charge fees.  They will cover trophies, the extra hired judging, coffee, snacks, and the Sunday lunch.  Iím trying to find a way to lower things still further, and we will take a loss (weíll also have teams debating, who will be allowed to clear, so we should pay something for that), but fees will be no more than $20 per person.
We know many of you canít come because you canít split squads, but we hope to see lots of you in Morgantown, and we look forward to returning the hospitality that the Mountaineers have been shown these past few years.

--Neil Berch
West Virginia University
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: