College Policy Debate Forums
October 20, 2018, 01:01:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Dave Matheny  (Read 6845 times)
SherryHall

« on: September 22, 2014, 07:41:58 AM »

I just saw the news that Dave Matheny "Pops" has passed.  I will need more time to collect my thoughts, but my initial thought is that the community has lost another giant.  Dave was a major figure in my life as a college debater.  He was a great friend to Joel and me.  He made me laugh like no one else could.  I am sitting in this debate round now flooded with memories of laughing at things he said.  

For those of you who don't know Dave, he was the long term coach at Emporia State University.  His two daughters also both debated in college and coached for a while.  He was the coach of my coach's coach, and as such introduced himself to me as my debate great grandfather when I first met him.  

While I haven't seen him much lately, I had been reading his blog and keeping up with him on facebook.  I will miss you my friend.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:25:35 AM by SherryHall » Logged
SherryHall

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 08:33:02 AM »

From David Rhaesa

He was a very important influence in my life. Literally changed it. Always grateful. Mel, once again, hugs. Prayers rise like smoke.
SherryHall

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 08:36:18 AM »

From Gavon Fritton:

Mel,

I'm so sorry to hear the news. Your dad was very important to me, even though I'm certain he didn't remember me. I'm sure there are people like me all across Kansas who attended his debate camp and came away with a much better understanding of this activity that had become so important to them. Your dad was a lucky man in that he touched and influenced many lives for the better. It seems to me that he had a great life well-lived.
SherryHall

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 01:39:54 PM »

so sad to hear this. I enjoyed traveling with "Pops"-- A remarkably playful soul who cantankerously bantered for hours on end...
SherryHall

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 01:40:27 PM »

One of the first Professors I encountered at ESU. His office was part of the debate squad room. You could always count on him for a laugh, joke, and a good ribbing. He was a pleasure to be around. So sorry Melanie Matheny Ralston Condolences to you and the family. Hugs!!
SherryHall

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 02:36:38 PM »

Glen Strickland

I received word this morning that David Matheny died over night. Dave was Carol's college debate coach and the reason that I am at Emporia State. We shall miss him very much.

I received word this morning that David Matheny died over night. Dave was Carol's college debate coach and the reason that I am at Emporia State. We shall miss him very much.
SherryHall

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what the connection was, but BILL ENGLISH and DAVE MATHENY were BFF's ...so DR. MATHENY was always around me and the rest of the UH Debate Squad of 1966-70. And it seemed to me that he never missed an opportunity to bust my bubble or rattle my cage. (1) The worst he did to me as part of a team was when, after Seikel and I had won Heart of America, with a 12-0 record, and finishing 1-2 Speakers to boot, he seemed to appear of out the ether while we were packing the car, with a black mourning wreath in his hands (where he got it, I have NO IDEA), placed it solemnly over the trophy, kissed us both of the cheek, and whispered... "See you in Dekalb, Boys..." (2) As for his attention to me as an individual, (and again, where he got his info, I have no idea) but knowing that I was a knee-jerk radic-lib Democrat and JFK/RFK fanatic, whenever we were riding in the station wagon to tournaments together he would, knowing I could hear, start lecturing WBE about how the JFK assassination was "on balance" a good thing, because it was all part of God's Divine Plan. After the 4th or 5th time he did this, I just couldn't stand it any more, and in spite of the fact that I was wet-pantsed scared to say anything to dispute a Professor, I blurted out from the third seat, "How can you say stuff like that?" He turned slowly in my direction, and with this eerily beatific smile, replied in his best Tennessee Ernie Ford voice, "Nary a sparrow shall fall from the tree, but for His will, and with His knowledge." I, too, came to love the man ... but it was, shall we say, a long strange trip. And I will miss him.
SherryHall

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 02:48:20 PM »

Incredible debate coach and professor -- RIP.
SherryHall

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 04:19:20 PM »

Edward Cates (to Melanie Matheny)

Very glad that I retread this one. Another reason why the Hornet Nation has been my second family.
Melanie:

I saw your post on Mr. Lehman's memorial video and a statement that your Dad would see it. I'm hoping your Dad is Dr. David Matheny.

I was a communication major at ESU and Dr. Matheny was my instructor for several classes. I've often wondered how he is doing with great appreciation for his impact on my experience at ESU.

Most importantly, I wanted to share with you how much he impacted my experience at ESU. Dr. Matheny taught me Advanced Public speaking and at the end of the course he asked me if I would be an assistant for the class in the next semester. The invitation wasn't accompanied with fanfare or edification, rather an invite from a masterful speaker and academic in communication. I was truly honored and meant way more to me than an A in the course.

Being an African American student at Emporia State was tough at times. Beyond the challenges facing diversity at ESU is the fact I got a quality education from talented professionals and your father is among the top of the list of those that I appreciate. Being asked by your father to help with Advanced public speaking boosted my confidence and made me take a more academic approach toward developing what I perceived as a God given talent. Dr. Matheny wasn't impressed by BS, rather performance and ability. When you got past the thunderous timbre of his voice and towering presence, I found an educator that took the time to care, identify talent and offer opportunity simply because it was the right thing to do. I'm eternally grateful for that.

I know you know how great your father is. But I wanted to make sure I expressed to you what I've realized through the years of my graduation and working with professionals with Ivy League degrees and credentials from highly visible schools. Dr. Matheny, Mr. Lehman, Dr. Myrna Cornett-Devito, Dr. Stephen Catt were all people that invested in my success and taught me valuable tools that I still use today and has allowed me to build my career and now business around. I've coached countless executives and business owners on how to improve their delivery with Dr. Matheny's mastery of the canons of Rhetoric echoing in my head.

Please pass my warmest regards, thanks and blessings to Dr. Matheny. Thank you.

Edward Cates
ESU's BA Communications 1995
SherryHall

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 04:22:43 PM »

a great man...on a ballot from from an Air force final ...HE wrote "putting pierce in front of a camera is like feeding bulk sugar to a diabetic" RIP pROF.Matheny
SherryHall

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 04:23:36 PM »

He was an amazing man.
SherryHall

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 04:24:01 PM »

A great man!
SherryHall

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 04:24:34 PM »

One of my first judges in college--many good memories
SherryHall

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 04:24:58 PM »

Another giant of his time passes but his legacy lives on