Author Topic: Starting a New NDT Club at my School  (Read 3492 times)

Squelch

Starting a New NDT Club at my School
« on: March 16, 2016, 10:26:52 AM »
Hello,

I've been involved in debate and forensics all throughout High School. I loved it. When I came to Bob Jones University I was dismayed to find out that their club had disbanded. Right now I am attempting to restart debate on campus. I am making a presentation and need a few pieces of information to make the case for us joining NDT.

Here are my questions:

How many debates is it normal to participate in?
What is the normal cost of attending a debate (hotel, travel, entry fee, etc.)?
How many teams should we have?

Thanks for you response.

hansonjb

Re: Starting a New NDT Club at my School
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 03:00:03 PM »
feel free to contact me at jim@climbthemountain.net for more questions/help/whatever.

typically, teams that are involved and getting full involvement in the community go to 3 to 4 tournaments in the fall and again in the winter/spring.

costs vary greatly. hotel rooms are typically in the $75 to $125 range; entry fees are typically in the $75 to $150 per team (judging fees can be quite high so providing judging is good); travel is the cost of a van and gas--or plane tickets--$200 to $600 per person depending on where you go.

having 4ish teams is optimal from my perspective for practice rounds and for research but many schools have 1 or 2 teams and some have 6, 7, 8 even more teams.

this page may provide some additional help:
http://www.climbthemountain.us/coaches.htm
jim hanson :)
seattle u debate forensics speech rhetoric