College Policy Debate Forums
September 22, 2017, 05:29:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Topic Committee update - slate of wordings for the ballot  (Read 1631 times)
Hester

« on: June 18, 2017, 03:45:23 PM »

Below is the slate of seven resolution wordings approved by the TC, which will be on the ballot to be posted by CEDA for voting at a later date:

__ Resolved: The United States Federal Government should establish national health insurance in the United States.

__ Resolved: The United States Federal Government should establish a universal health care policy, including at least comprehensive health insurance coverage, in the United States.

__ Resolved: The United States Federal Government should establish a national health care policy, including at least one or more of the following, in the United States: comprehensive and transgender-inclusive universal health care; comprehensive and universal health care for sexual and reproductive health; public health insurance option; single-payer national health insurance; substantially expanding Medicaid eligibility for incarcerated people and/or undocumented
immigrants.

__ Resolved: The United States Federal Government should establish a national health care policy, including at least one or more of the following, in the United States: lowering the Medicare eligibility age to at least 55 or younger; price cap regulation of pharmaceuticals; public health insurance option; single-payer national health insurance; universal all-payer rate setting.
­­­­
__ Resolved: The United States Federal Government should establish a national health care policy, including at least one or more of the following, in the United States: lowering the Medicare eligibility age to at least 55 or younger; national health insurance; price cap regulation of pharmaceuticals; universal all-payer rate setting.
­­­­ ­­­ ­­­
­­­­__ Resolved: The United States Federal Government should establish a national health care policy, including at least one or more of the following, in the United States: comprehensive and universal health insurance coverage; lowering the Medicare eligibility age to at least 55 or younger; price cap regulation of pharmaceuticals; universal all-payer rate setting.

__ Resolved: The United States Federal Government should establish a national health care policy, including at least substantially expanding financial access to health care services in the United States.
William Mosley-Jensen

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 09:18:09 AM »

I have put together some basic description and analysis of the topic proposals (along with a few key cards from the documents). These are obviously my thoughts and not the official views of the topic committee.

* HC Topic Analysis - WMJ.docx (81.32 KB - downloaded 173 times.)
JakeJustice

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 10:13:22 PM »

thanks to the committee and all those who helped during the topic process. This is a solid slate.
jstidham

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 09:50:12 AM »

Posting some general thoughts/considerations for folks who are still contemplating how to rank the slate of resolutions on the ballot. These aren’t the official views of the TC, but some insight on why we used some terms rather than others and what I personally think certain ballot options accomplish for aff/neg ground. I would strongly encourage everyone to look through the definitions that the TC has made readily available before you make your decision.

Do you want a big res? Here’s what you should think about:

Ballot option number 7 is pretty big. If you look at the definitions for “financial access” in the compiled doc I put out, it can mean a lotttttt of things. So, if as a coach/debater you want really flexible aff ground and you aren’t scared of T debates, this might be a resolution you rank high.

Do you want a small res? Here’s what you should think about:

Ballot option number 4 is for sure the smallest, and that might be attractive for squads who are less concerned with more aff flexibility and want to lock down targeted neg prep for a limited amount of affs. If you want a lot of aff flexibility, especially for more soft left of critical affirmatives, this might be one you rank lower because you’d be limited in your mechanism options.

Universal and comprehensive meanings:

Others have posted on this issue, and I wanted to reiterate that ‘universal’=how many people/who is covered, and ‘comprehensive’=what services are covered. So, a health care policy can be universal without being comprehensive, and vice versa. That’s why you’ll see universal and comprehensive in certain ballot options because they are intended to force the aff to do something big, such as with sexual and reproductive health.

National health insurance:

This is one of the most well-defined phrase in term of a consensus being established. That’s why this res is short. The NHI definitions say that a NHI must be funded by the gov and has to cover nearly all of the population. You’d get a lot of mechanism ground here, but you’d have to cover everyone.

Transgender-inclusive universal healthcare:

I’ve gotten some messages about this and wanted to clarify some of the rationale for this wording. Some people don’t like this res because they think “WOW WHAT A SMALL AFF!!! That’s so hard to be neg against!” No, no, this list option =/= give trans people healthcare, it means the aff should establish universal healthcare….that is transgender-inclusive. That distinction is important for folks concerned about neg ground.

Here is a link to the TC dropbox, which has everything:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xv7d4uqtr95uo5d/AAANZikDNpyycKKeYI74Lybka?dl=0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: