Author Topic: Ken Strange  (Read 12793 times)

SherryHall

Ken Strange
« on: April 05, 2019, 05:08:09 PM »
It is with a heavy heart that I start this thread on this forum.  I learned last night from several friends of the passing of Ken Strange.  I have known Ken for more than 30 years.  He has been such a force not only in my life, but throughout the activity as well.  He was voted as one of the top five judges of the 1970s (4), the 1980s (2), the 1990s (2), and the 2000's (2).  He was voted as a top five coach in the 1980s (1), the 1990s (4) and the 2000's (5). Under Ken's direction Dartmouth had a streak of earning at least one first round at large bid and qualifying at least one team for the octafinals of the NDT every year from 1980 through 2009, thirty years.  In addition to his tremendous coaching success, he was a great friend, colleague and boss.  I learned a lot in the two years that I coached at Dartmouth.  I am flooded with so many memories.  I will miss you my friend.

SherryHall

Re: Ken Strange
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 05:09:36 PM »
David Glass

RIP, Ken Strange. Condolences to the Dartmouth debate family, and all who passed through the institute - and all of us really; he was a great friend, mentor and role model.

SherryHall

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 05:10:55 PM »
Mike Carlotti

Sad day for the debate community. Ken had an enormous impact on my debate career (so many of our careers...), and thus really everything in my life that has occurred since I joined debate. I was a nobody before the summer I spent with him (and Nicole ❤), and it’s just incredible to reflect on just how big of an impact some people have on your life when the roots run so deeply throughout it all. To Ken and all of my debate mentors (you know who you are): thank you, and I love you. Rest easy, friend.

SherryHall

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 05:11:44 PM »
Allan Louden

Ken Strange, a true giant among collegiate debate coaches, passed away in Gulfport, MS this week. For all who knew Ken the loss is palatable.

With humor and insight generations of debaters were educated and encouraged. Ken was larger than life in the profession but as important was a kind soul, a good person.

We are grateful that as part of his" phased retirement" Ken spent two coaching seasons at Wake Forest, enriching our Squad and faculty. Ken will be missed most, however, as a valued and lifelong friend.

Photo---One last "Putters" gathering with his Wake Forest coaching family. Our thoughts are with his family and his loyal and large Dartmouth family.

SherryHall

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 05:12:45 PM »
Marilyn J. Young

Such sad news. Like so many, gone way too soon.

SherryHall

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 05:13:22 PM »
Steven W Simmons

This saddens me to no end. Ken always was so kind and fair to me in the four years he judged me on the circuit and when I was a coach at Wayne State. He had encouraging words when times were tough. As you said, a kind soul.

SherryHall

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 05:14:11 PM »
Doug Dennis

RIP Ken.

Damn. This sucks.

SherryHall

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 05:14:48 PM »
Paul Derby

Ken was amazing. Truly amazing. One of my absolute favorite people I ever met through debate. He touched a lot of people, me very much included. A life very, very well lived.

SherryHall

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 05:15:12 PM »
Matt J Stannard

A good friend has died, one of the kindest people I've ever known, one of the smartest people I've ever known. Rare combination. May all beings everywhere be free from suffering.

SherryHall

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 05:16:40 PM »
Jairus Victor Grove

The hardest part of being away from debate is losing people I no longer get to see every weekend. I have been out of the activity for almost ten years and yet I rely on a sense of the world where they are there still judging debates, still inspiring people, still giving someone skeptical glances. On the way to work this morning thinking about Ken I was reminded of this old impact card we all used to read in high school about biodiversity. The metaphor was of a plane losing bolts and never knowing when the bolt lost would cause the plane to come apart and crash. Losing Ken feels like loosing part of reality, a critical bolt in the world we share. One less person that remembers the insecure teenager you were. One less person to share memories with of others we have lost. One less person committed to the idea that education is the most important thing we can devote ourselves to. Ken takes a little of my reality and history with him. What is left though is the incredible community of thinkers and friends he helped create. It is hard to imagine growing up without Alex Berger, Bill Russell, Andrew Leong, Nicole Wanzer-Serrano, Adam Garen, Robbie Ashe, John Turner and many many others at Dartmouth. I owe Ken a debt for those friendships and those experiences. If Valhalla exists for those of us that hope to spend eternity arguing one can only hope that the panel of Deatherage, Smith, and Strange is sitting down at the table ready to judge. Ken Strange, I will miss you.

SherryHall

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 05:17:28 PM »
John M. Bredehoft

I would gladly debate for my eternal soul before the panel of Smith, Strange, and Detherage (although I am too old to have been judged by any of them except Ken). This is a wonderful tribute, Jarius, and I am terribly saddened.

I debated against Ross in Round Eight of the 1978 NDT at Metropolitan State in Denver, with his partner Johnny Graham. Seem to remember debating against Duck a few times (and Ross with and without Johnny G several times). Ken's passing is immensely felt. We are all getting old, and I occasionally yearn to "get the band back together" with NDT debaters from 1975-85 or something. Will never happen, but missing Ken over the past few years leaves an ache in my heart.

SherryHall

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 05:19:49 PM »
Charles Olney

My entire feed right now is just everyone talking about how much they loved Ken. He was an all-time great, and I'm proud and incredibly lucky to have been able to call him my friend and colleague.

RIP Boss. We're all going to miss you. I hope they got the memo about keeping the rooms together for you up there.

SherryHall

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 05:21:57 PM »
Christopher Wheatley

We are all going to miss this guy SO much! The world may be a little less curious, not as nice and definitely not as smart without this man. We have lost another giant in the debate community.

SherryHall

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 05:22:33 PM »
David Thomas

So sorry to hear of his death. I knew him as a kind and decent man as well as a titan of a debate coach.

SherryHall

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2019, 05:23:05 PM »
Steven Dolley

That really sucks. Fare thee well Ken. Man, the stories...