Author Topic: Ken Strange  (Read 22641 times)

SherryHall

Re: Ken Strange
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2019, 08:14:37 AM »
Glen Strickland

I am so sad to learn of the death of my good friend and great debate coach Ken Strange. We were both from Oklahoma and coached debate at the college level. Ken coached at the great Dartmouth University for at least 30 years. He was a wonderful person and will be missed.

SherryHall

« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2019, 08:15:18 AM »
Michael Klinger

Seeing Ken Strange at debate tournaments always made me smile. What a tragic loss. RIP.

SherryHall

« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2019, 08:15:55 AM »
Stefan Bauschard

It will be 30 years next fall since I attended my first college debate tournament at the University of Kentucky.

I’m note sure when I first crossed paths with Ken Strange after that, but I do remember that Ken always approached judging a debate I was in regardless of the significance of the debate relative to the bracket or the opponent. Ken was always interested in what was being debated about and offered helpful advice to everyone.

When I started coaching and judging, Ken would often come by the debates to hear the decision and talk about the arguments. Whether I voted for or against his team (and there were many more Ws than Ls), Ken was always interested in discussing the arguments and ideas in the debates I judged. And he always just seemed happy to talk about the arguments, not even so much caring about, “how to do better next time,” “could have said this more clearly, “or “do you really not thing the card says X.” He loved discussing the arguments and how they played out. It was as much a genuine academic interest as a competitive one.

And when I either judged with Ken on a panel or listened to a panel of decisions where he was one of the judges, he was always respectful to those who disagreed and was always very interested in what everyone had to say. He seemed to genuinely enjoy discussing the debate and how all of the judges resolved the arguments.

When I first started coaching at Boston College and our teams became more competitive, Ken always found a way to offer some advice for important debates we had. He knew when a win would be a big one for us and always offered support.

One final and specific memory of Ken I have is from old “flame wars “ on the old edebate, which I embarrassingly often participated in. At the time, I do remember a thread about the inequality produced by produced by high summer camp costs. Unsurprisingly, Ken never contributed to the “flaming” part of the discussion, but he’d sometimes drop in a good point. I don’t remember all of the details, but I remember him posting about his own background and how a lot of time at camp was not an option for him, but through hard work over the summer he had managed to learn a lot of what others learned in camp during the summer. Years later, when I was complaining about “K” debating he said, something along the lines of, “We’ll, if the students want to read the material and work on the arguments, I’ll work on them with them.” Ken simply admired those who worked hard in debate, regardless of what arguments they ran, and he always had time and interest for anyone who put in the work.

Good arguments. Good ideas. Respect. Kindness. Hard work.

Condolences to everyone from Dartmouth and those associated who knew him well.

SherryHall

« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2019, 08:16:30 AM »
Dylan Quigley

Ken Strange saved my life. I don’t know what else to say; without him walking up out of the blue and offering me a job at Dartmouth in the middle of CEDA that year, my life would be unthinkably different. I simply have no idea where I’d be or what I’d do. I would never have met my fiancée, I wouldn’t have gone to law school, I wouldn’t have been blessed to be a small part of Ken’s life. Heaven is highway Lou’s (when you could still smoke) and Ken will always be there.

SherryHall

« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2019, 08:17:04 AM »
Michael Burshteyn

RIP Ken. He believed in us more than we believed in ourselves and, as a lab leader, judge, or just friendly face in the hallway, Ken never stopped pushing us to be better. And it worked. He inspired and made a lasting impression on me and so many friends. One of my proudest moments was getting to judge alongside him a few years back, and when he told me my decision didn't suck.

SherryHall

« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2019, 08:17:26 AM »
Randy Luskey

“He believed in us more than we believed in ourselves.” Great quote. Couldn’t have said it better myself. He welcomed me to the college debate community with open arms even when I didn’t think I belonged. Even when we were engaged in fierce battles with his own teams, he took time out to make me a better debater.

SherryHall

« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2019, 08:17:58 AM »
David Hung

It's hard to express how much of an impact Ken had on me as a lab leader, a coach, a boss, a father figure, a food lover, and a degenerate gambler (in the best sense of the word). My sadness is tempered by countless happy memories of the legend that I had the privilege of calling my friend. Here's how I'll always remember him - full of joy and good humor, his unmistakable jolly bellow usually accompanied by that equally unforgettable high pitched cackle. Rest in peace, Coach.

SherryHall

« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2019, 08:19:12 AM »
Keegan Tomik

One of the first things Ken did after I go to Hanover was take me out to a nice dinner. Then, the next day he took me out to get twin lobsters and took the time to explain and show me how to actually eat lobster. I'm curious now how many different Midwestern kids/fresh grads he has done this for. Ken was a lot kinder and a lot more understanding than I deserved at the time. The community has lost one of it's all time greats.

SherryHall

« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2019, 08:21:38 AM »
Ed Williams

Ken was a debate giant with a big heart. I learned so much about being a coach by watching him during my many summers at DDI. He made me a better coach. Today we not only loss a beautiful person, we loss a debate library full of knowledge.

Rest well my friend.

SherryHall

« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2019, 08:21:56 AM »
Chris Crowe

Margaritas “Mexican” Restaurant is a terrible restaurant, but Ken loved taking us there. I would go and power through the food because that restaurant made Ken happy, and I wanted to be around Ken as much as possible.

Ken became such an important and critical mentor to me over the last 10 years. I thought I had learned just about all I was going to get out of debate before I spent serious time with Ken. He proved me wrong and then some.

SherryHall

« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2019, 08:22:34 AM »
Lyn Robbins

With all due respect to my friends who were great debaters and great competitors from KU, Redlands, Northwestern, Kentucky, Emory, UNC, Georgetown, Harvard, and many other schools, there is no question that our biggest rival back in the day was Dartmouth. Planning to debate the great teams of the great Ken Strange was a unique challenge and made what we do that much more worthwhile. It was Lenny and Mark, Karen and Melody, Karen and Erik, Erik and Chrissy, Chrissy and Bud, and Shaun and Rob ... but it was always Ken. Every year of my career but one, my last debate was against Dartmouth, and in that one year, Dart was the next to last debate. All split decisions decided by a single ballot. There was nothing like debating against Ken Strange teams. He was never anything to me but gracious, respectful, and classy. I never considered him “the enemy,” for he embodied the “worthy opposition.” He recruited the best debaters, he coached the best arguments, and he was a great judge. He made a competitive, wearing grind a whole lot better for all of us. I never had the opportunity to be coached by him... but from my view in the opposing dugout, he was the best. RIP.

SherryHall

« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2019, 08:22:59 AM »
Joshua Gunn

I attended Ken's debate camp in 1993. I was the poorest kid there. Ken took a liking to me for some reason, checked in on me. At the end he made sure i got a t-shirt (I couldn't afford one). He was so kind to me that summer and I never forgot it. Never will. R.I.P. coach.

SherryHall

« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2019, 08:23:22 AM »
J Allen Bradley

When I attended DDI in '85 and '86, Ken had already made Dartmouth THE standard for debate and it's instruction. Ken, his staff, team and his DDI assistants were quickly legend (Katayal, Paul Slappey, among many others) so for those of us who wanted to be surrounded by the best, under Ken's guidance, we found the cutting edge of policy debate in Hanover.

So when Ken lectured, it was a BIG event. The room was always SRO. His colleagues across campus not related to debate also attended. None of us dared say a word, as each of us struggled to notate EVERY word he spoke. He was like a God to us.

Rest in peace Ken!

SherryHall

« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2019, 08:23:47 AM »
Gabe Fried

I really liked Ken, but didn't know him well. My heart goes out the whole DFU community. I'm sorry for your loss.

SherryHall

« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2019, 08:24:56 AM »
J Allen Bradley

Rest in Peace Ken...A full fledged master of the art and science of Rhetoric, he added greatly to the discourse...