Author Topic: Ken Strange  (Read 22648 times)

SherryHall

Re: Ken Strange
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2019, 08:25:26 AM »
UNLV Debate

The UNLV Debate family mourns the passing of Ken Strange. Ken was one of the greatest college policy debate coaches of all time, leading the Dartmouth Forensic Union to unprecedented consistent levels of success. Ken was an amazing educator, one of the best judges in NDT debate for nearly 40 straight years, and a brilliant debate mind. He topped that all off by being consummately friendly, humble, and genuinely kind. Ken also loved playing blackjack and craps, which always gave us a tiny morsel of hope that one day he might retire to Vegas and could occasionally grace our team with his presence. We will miss you. Rest In Peace Ken.

SherryHall

« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2019, 08:25:51 AM »
Corey Turoff

This man was larger than life to my 16 year old self. My debate partner and I couldn’t have made it as far as we did without Ken’s help finding cards on NMD during camp and his check ins on our progress. I literally would not be the person I am today without his interest in a couple of kids from Buffalo Grove HS. Wouldn’t have been recruited by USC. Wouldn’t have debated in college. Wouldn’t have met all you beautiful people. He will be missed.

SherryHall

« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2019, 08:26:11 AM »
Sarah Elizabeth

I was, literally, just talking about him with my husband today. After a decade of not really thinking about my HS debate experience. So sad for DFU alums and friends.

SherryHall

« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2019, 08:26:39 AM »
Alex Berger

It is hard for me to overstate the profound, transformational impact Ken Strange had on my life. He wasn't just my debate coach, he wasn't just my mentor...he was family.

So many on my feed have already spoken to his unparalleled successes as a coach and judge. Others have spoken to his excellence of character far more eloquently than I can. I'm flooded with memories and stories, too many to recount, but for some reason this one sticks out tonight. When I was 16 years old, a student at the Dartmouth summer camp, my uncle passed away suddenly. I barely knew Ken at the time, I was one of 120+ campers and dozens of staff he was overseeing, but he dropped everything to drive me 2.5 hours to Logan airport so I could fly home for the funeral. I honestly don't recall what we talked about on that drive, but I remember being overwhelmed by the warmth and empathy of a truly special person. He didn't have to drive me -- he could have put me on a bus ("don't miss your minicoach, Adam!") -- but that's just who Ken was.

For the next 20+ years of our relationship, Ken never stopped giving -- his time, his knowledge, his resources, his love. He taught me basic fundamentals of debate -- argument, research, presentation. But more important, he taught me basic fundamentals of life -- humility, perseverance, grace.

Nearly everything I've achieved and care about traces back in small or large part to Ken... including my own family. (Without Ken, I wouldn't have met Susan.) Thank you, Coach, for all of it. I love you. May your memory be a blessing.

SherryHall

« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2019, 08:27:15 AM »
Mike Davis

There aren’t a lot of people who coach debate over the course of several decades. There are even fewer who coach debate at the top level for that amount of time. And there are even fewer who can coach in a way that lets their students know that they matter. Ken Strange was all of those and so much more.

As someone who did not grow up as a top level NDT debater I was always worried I wouldn’t be accepted but the truth is the best coaches, the Ken Stranges and Ross Smiths of the world, always helped me along the way. They made me feel like I could figure out this thing called coaching. They always let me judge their teams and always and were always willing to talk to me about what it meant to be a great coach.

The debate coaching world is very small and it is really hard to explain the feeling of loss when someone who has always been there is gone. My heart goes out to my friends at Dartmouth and everyone feeling this absence tonight.

SherryHall

« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2019, 08:27:36 AM »
Sarah T Partlow Lefèvre

Ken was one the smartest and kindest people. I always admired his ability to coach amazing teams and to care about people.

SherryHall

« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2019, 08:28:06 AM »
Kristin Meyers Clark

Oh, this is so sad. I remember meeting him for the first time and going to dinner with him. He really did make that debate space a home. So sorry for you guys and your big debate family.

SherryHall

« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2019, 08:28:33 AM »
Adam Garen

I am unspeakably sad and grateful for Ken’s influence.

To have been in Ken’s close company for so many years is among the greatest honors & blessings of my life.

RIP, Boss.

SherryHall

« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2019, 08:29:18 AM »
Roy Levkovitz

In a community of people with great minds and big hearts Ken towered in both.

After Dartmouth eliminated me from the NDT Ken stayed around and hugged and cried with me. It was just the kind of guy he was. He was truly and forever will be the boss.

SherryHall

« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2019, 08:29:35 AM »
Kristen Pride

Ken always made me felt welcomed at my short during my time at dartmouth. Sorry for your loss bud!

SherryHall

« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2019, 08:29:58 AM »
Phillip Voight

So sorry to hear of Ken’s passing. He was a fantastic coach!

SherryHall

« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2019, 08:30:18 AM »
Jasmine Stidham

RIP Ken Strange, he was a real one.

SherryHall

« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2019, 08:31:13 AM »
Scott Odekirk

I wanted to judge like him, I wanted to keep up with his work ethic, I wanted my team to have his team’s family style vibe, and I hoped one day I would have a student speak about me the way all of his talk about him. I loved when halfway through a conversation he would started working out an argument with me. He always wanted to talk shop. He made his mark and he left so many of us with some more things to think about. RIP Ken Strange.

SherryHall

« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2019, 08:33:16 AM »
Eli Anders:

This is really sad news. Ken was such an incredible role model, teacher, coach, and judge.

SherryHall

« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2019, 08:58:39 AM »
Jaipaul Rekhi

Ken, thank you for believing in all of us. You changed the course of many of our lives. You were inspiring, encouraging, kind, and humble. You built up my confidence when I had very little. Rest in peace friend. 💔