Author Topic: Ken Strange  (Read 21111 times)

SherryHall

Re: Ken Strange
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2019, 02:38:05 PM »
Jim Lux

Ken was the first person who made me think I could debate in college, and I spent the next four years jealously admiring the culture of the team he created. One of the all-time greats in every respect. Wishing comfort for all the Dartmouth folks and other members of the community out there mourning.

SherryHall

« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2019, 02:40:40 PM »
Hajir Ardebili

These remembrances really resonate with me. He never made me feel out of place as a young college debater, even though I only attended two national tournaments in all of high school and he had no idea who I was. Instead, he was kind and encouraging.

SherryHall

« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2019, 02:41:31 PM »
John McClung

Well said. I've been away from debate and related activities for a long time, but Ken was memorable because he was one of the absolute best.

SherryHall

« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2019, 02:41:54 PM »
Darren Smith

Wonderful tribute. I did not know him as well as you did but I did enjoy my DDI experience with him and the other interactions I had with him. Thoughts and prayers to his family, loved ones, and friends.

SherryHall

« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2019, 02:42:16 PM »
Pam McComas

Gone too soon! Brilliant man, brilliant brain. RIP, Ken.

DoyleSrader

« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2019, 04:36:07 PM »
Few coaches even managed to rival Ken, and I had the same experience so many others describe of his kindness.

SherryHall

« Reply #156 on: April 06, 2019, 09:26:30 PM »
Kathryn Kernoff

This is just echoing what you said, but I was thinking a similar thought last night. Ken's coaching record is all the more remarkable considering he really was committed to argument more than victory. It also reminds me of all the arguments with Ken about conditionality and how he saw the role of the debater as an advocate. And he really loved talking about arguments, even with other teams

SherryHall

« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2019, 09:27:05 PM »
Nicole Wanzer-Serrano

Before the day our lab had to debate other labs (I could never keep inter and intralab debates straight - that was his job), he would *shock* our lab with the idea that their #1 goal was to come back with a good explanation of the other labs arguments. Kids always wanted to “win” those practice debates and he taught them that it was a time to understand and take CAREFUL flows so we’d be able to understand their arguments.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 02:07:10 PM by SherryHall »

SherryHall

« Reply #158 on: April 06, 2019, 09:27:37 PM »
Conor Cleary

As an outside observer, this is what I always noticed about Ken and his debate teams. You always knew going into a debate that Dartmouth’s arguments were going to be directly on point, make sense, and be well researched.
And the Dartmouth coaching staff reflected this in their judging, treating every debate they judged with the utmost seriousness no matter if it was JV or the finals of the NDT, rewarding teams for smart arguments rather than contrived ones, and taking the time after debates to provide advice on how to improve as if you were a debater for their team.

SherryHall

« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2019, 09:28:12 PM »
Peter Susko

RIP Ken. His interactions with Patrick “No Cards” McCleary at tournaments were always a highlight.

SherryHall

« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2019, 09:30:58 PM »
Anjan Sahni

Condolences to the entire DFU community. Ken was one-of-a-kind and will be sorely missed.

SherryHall

« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2019, 09:32:58 PM »
Jennifer Armstrong

Ken is the reason I went to Dartmouth and it was such an honor to get to have him as a coach. There is truly no one like him. He developed so many generations of great debaters and great coaches, many of whom I was lucky to have coach me through the years (Kade Olsen,Caroline Olsen, Kathryn Kernoff, Nicole Wanzer-Serrano, John Turner, Brian M. Smith and so many others).

So grateful for Ken and the DFU community he created.

SherryHall

« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2019, 09:34:07 PM »
Steven J Kung

What a wonderful memory! Ken was one of the good ones. I'm grateful that he had me at DDI for three summers and had me back once again for my masters thesis. Rest in peace, Ken.

SherryHall

« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2019, 09:35:48 PM »
Natalia Mari Espejo

I am 34 years old and one of my proudest accomplishments is STILL the Ken Strange ballot my partner and I earned at DDI. I am so sorry for your loss.

SherryHall

« Reply #164 on: April 06, 2019, 09:40:43 PM »
Edmund Zagorin

RIP Ken