Author Topic: Ken Strange  (Read 22359 times)

SherryHall

Re: Ken Strange
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2019, 06:26:33 PM »
Ed Williams

Ken was a debate giant with a big heart. I learned so much about being a coach by watching him during my many summers at DDI. He made me a better coach. Today we not only loss a beautiful person, we loss a debate library full of knowledge.

Rest well my friend.

SherryHall

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2019, 06:27:16 PM »
Becca Rose Atchison

There isn't a single one of us in the college debate community in the past 30 something years that didn't know, cherish, and respect Ken Strange. I will never forget how he made me feel like I belonged and had potential... even in the earliest days when I wasn't sure if I was cut out for it. And good grief, I can't even count the number of times I lost rounds to the teams he coached. His storied legacy of success is incredible.

Very sad to hear that we've lost Ken, and sending love to all of my friends from Dartmouth debate who loved him the same way that we at Wake Forest loved our Ross. We were lucky to have Ken here in Winston with us for a couple years recently. What a loss. Rest in peace, Ken.

SherryHall

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2019, 06:27:39 PM »
David Cram Helwich

Ken is the GOAT. Ken was also one of the kindest and most patient people I have ever met in debate. He will almost certainly be remembered more strongly as the latter than the former, which is as it should be.

SherryHall

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2019, 06:28:07 PM »
Adam Clinton

My first introduction to Ken Strange:
Sophomore year (1996) at the NDT debating on the NEG against a James Madison team with Ken Strange, Scott Deatherage, and Heidi Hamilton. Winds up being a 2-1, with Deatherage voting aff. When Ken has given about half his RFD, Scott starts asking him questions about it, then it basically turned into lab time in the Strange/Deatherage lab, with them arguing about all manner of arguments and perspectives and theories. No kidding, they were hashing this out for an hour. Sean Harris, Becky Galentine, and myself were just in awe the whole time.

SherryHall

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2019, 06:29:05 PM »
Amber Kelsie

Much of what I've learned of what it means to be a good coach, I learned from Ken. He would say he didn't understand what we were doing when we ran kritiks or performed, but he supported us doing it. When the PRL threatened me and my students, the first person I called was Ken. He told me he'd never agree to what they were up to, would never support a break in the merger, and said that he knew what I was doing was good work worth advocating for. Lol he also got a good kick out of back messaging me the bullshit people would send his way. Love ya Ken, thanks for teaching me that T is about limits, that you don't have a god given right to your god awful argument, and what it means to be passionate about what we do.

SherryHall

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2019, 06:29:44 PM »
David Wallace Eastwood

RIP Ken Strange. Thank you to everyone sharing thoughts & memories. Love to all my friends hurting out there.

SherryHall

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2019, 06:32:31 PM »
Joel Rollins

RIP Ken Strange. Wonderful teacher.

SherryHall

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2019, 06:32:55 PM »
Mark Kelsey

Oh, no. Damn. He was an all-around wonderful guy.

SherryHall

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2019, 06:33:16 PM »
Joshua Zive

Best judge in the country over the course of decades.One of the best argument coaches ever. Judged and taught novices and bid teams with the same commitment and effort. And I never once saw him treat other teams, coaches, or judges poorly. I can't think of anyone else I could say all of those things about.

SherryHall

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2019, 06:33:40 PM »
John M. Bredehoft

I agree with everything Joshua Zive says. He was not only brilliant, but kind, and classy. As a debater, I always loved to see him in the back of the room. (Although he made a bad decision in the final round of the 1979 NDT, Donald Dripps, I did ultimately forgive him.) And after I finished debating, as a semi-coach and hanger on, I always loved to see him at a tournament. So saddened.

SherryHall

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2019, 06:34:00 PM »
Casey Anderson

Hard to imagine a debate community without Ken Strange.

SherryHall

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2019, 06:34:23 PM »
Jane Boyd

My heart is broken. I will never forget at TOC when he literally sat down at my feet and we talked for a couple of hours. He cared about people and I considered him a good friend.

SherryHall

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2019, 06:34:40 PM »
Michael Alberty

What horrible news. After years of competing against his teams and having him as a judge, it was an honor to get to know him a bit better while working at two DDIs in the mid-1980s. After the 1981 final round decision was announced he was gracious enough to shake my mind while asking "best two out of three?" He was one of the best.

SherryHall

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2019, 06:35:03 PM »
Charles Blanchard

Very saddened to hear this. My deepest condolences to his family, many friends, and the many others he helped in his life.

SherryHall

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2019, 06:35:31 PM »
Ron Stevenson

Very sad to hear this. RIP Ken - you were one of the all around best coach/judge/people in debate.