Author Topic: Ken Strange  (Read 23649 times)

SherryHall

Re: Ken Strange
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2019, 07:09:03 PM »
Brad Meloche

RIP Ken Strange. Definitely a giant of the activity. 😞

SherryHall

« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2019, 07:12:54 PM »
Khalil Lee

It was a pleasure and an honor to work with a Titan in Debate like Ken Strange. Even more so to be so readily defeated in beer pong by him on numerous occasions. I know many will remember him fondly and I count myself fortunate to share those same memories. Friendship improves happiness and abates misery, by the doubling of our joy, and the division of our grief. Rest easy gentle giant.

SherryHall

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2019, 07:16:26 PM »
Allan Louden

Richard, Yes Northwestern, his partner in winning Wake Forest Tournament (1969) was Steve Gunderson, defeating Syracuse. The picture of young Ken is priceless.

SherryHall

« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2019, 07:17:03 PM »
Randy Shaver

So sorry to hear this news. What an impact on so many generations of debaters.

SherryHall

« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2019, 07:17:37 PM »
Rick Cherwitz

I am profoundly saddened to learn that Ken Strange passed away Friday. Ken was a friend and my debate coach at the University of Iowa. In addition, he made my first year as a graduate student easier by sharing his class notes and research papers. Ken was one the nation’s premiere debate coaches, having served as director of forensics at Dartmouth for over 30 years. He was also an outstanding debater under the tutelage of my friend and distinguished rhetoric scholar David Zarefsky at Northwestern University. What an incredible loss to the forensics community. Thanks to Craig Budner for a more recent picture of Ken (far left in 2nd photo)

SherryHall

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2019, 07:18:42 PM »
Tim Hynes

I can’t even begin to express how much we have lost with the passing of my friend

SherryHall

« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2019, 07:19:15 PM »
Karla Leeper

A really good man. He will be missed.

SherryHall

« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2019, 07:19:53 PM »
Dale Hample

Ken and I coached schools about 50 miles apart for several years and it seemed like I saw him every weekend. He leaves a fine legacy and I'm sad he's gone.

SherryHall

« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2019, 07:20:26 PM »
Erik Holland

So sad. I was in Ken's lab at the Dartmouth Debate Institute and he judged me a handful of times over the years. A brilliant mind and very nice guy. Big loss for the debate community.

SherryHall

« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2019, 07:20:51 PM »
Mary Alice Baker

Sorry to hear this. Condolences to his family and friends. I knew him as an outstanding Oklahoma HS debater from my early coaching days and a championship debater on the collegiate circuit.

SherryHall

« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2019, 07:21:59 PM »
Dan Stanfield

I only had a few interactions with Ken Strange, but the most memorable was at the Kentucky tournament the last year I was working with UWG.

I was sitting outside the main competition building on the area overlooking the street and Ken comes up right next to me and without missing a beat, just says "Dan, what the hell are you doing with your life!" This ended up being his pitch for me to go get my MA degree at Wake. To this day it remains the most compelling recruitment pitch I have ever received.

SherryHall

« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2019, 09:38:27 PM »
Christopher Robins

Ken was always so kind to me. He made me, a thoroughly mediocre debater, feel like I belonged.

SherryHall

« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2019, 09:38:59 PM »
Matt Schnall

Lots of good memories of Ken today: debates he judged; chatting with him at tournaments; working at DDI in the early 90s; and then visiting him there when my daughter was a camper in 2011 and 2012

SherryHall

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2019, 09:39:45 PM »
Ouita Michel

One summer long ago I was going to teach a lab at Dartmouth’s summer work shop. The young man I was supposed to teach with backed out- and broke my heart. Ken called to tell me- but softened the blow by taking me as his lab partner. We had so much fun that we taught together for three years. He was that kind of person- brilliant but thoughtful and fun. Sherry- your comments are wonderful. Ken influenced not only his own debaters but everyone in the debate community.

SherryHall

« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2019, 09:42:11 PM »
Les Phillips

Everyone in the debate community is posting about the death of Ken Strange. To friends of mine not in the debate community, or very young debate friends: one of the most generous, most successful, most ethical debate *teachers* has passed. Ken was brilliant in many ways, but never more brilliant than as an explicator. He was a grand eminence in the debate world, and he knew what he was worth, but he never behaved as though he were better than anyone else. God knows he proved that kindness and "education" are quite consistent with overpowering competitive success. I was very lucky to work with him, however peripherally, for ten Dartmouth summers. If we in debate tried a little harder to be like Ken, we would make our professional community (and the world) a better place.