Author Topic: Ken Strange  (Read 22570 times)

SherryHall

Re: Ken Strange
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 05:23:32 PM »
Scott Forster

Without a doubt on the Mount Rushmore of debate.

SherryHall

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 05:24:27 PM »
Shree Awsare

RIP Ken Strange - a legend. Always will remember his seminar on T - "it always comes back to limits!"

SherryHall

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 05:25:01 PM »
Craig Budner

One great mentor. Ken Strange. Rest In Peace good man.

SherryHall

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 05:25:29 PM »
Lyn Robbins

Craig, I had not heard. So sorry for your loss, for Dartmouth's loss, for the debate community's loss, for all of our loss. Ken was unique. He was of course a rival, yet he was always nothing but respectful and gracious. He was in many ways the best of us. He will be missed.

SherryHall

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 05:27:10 PM »
Craig Budner

Thanks, Scott. No arrangements yet. Probably a memorial service this summer TBD including location. Only small funeral with family. We will post on FB so folks now about it.

SherryHall

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 05:32:53 PM »
Blake Johnson

RIP Ken Strange. College debate hangs up the gloves of a real legend today. ❤️❤️ my love to his many families—at Dartmouth, Wake Forest, in Oklahoma, and elsewhere.

SherryHall

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 05:34:08 PM »
Les Phillips

This one hurts. A brilliant man and a great gentleman.

SherryHall

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 05:35:19 PM »
Blake Johnson

Les Phillips it feels like I graduated yesterday. It’s so hard for me to comprehend that Scott, Ross, and Ken are all gone.

SherryHall

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 05:37:04 PM »
Wake Debate

We are devastated to learn the news that Ken Strange has passed away. Our thoughts go out to both his family and his broader Dartmouth debate family. We were incredibly luckily that Ken chose to spend two years with Wake Debate after retiring from Dartmouth. He wanted to listen to any speech from any debater that was well prepared; he made our whole squad better debaters and people. His time in Winston Salem was full of amazing coaching, fantastic cards, and so many stories. We look forward to celebrating the life and legacy of this first ballot hall of fame coach and judge. We will miss you Ken.

SherryHall

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 05:37:55 PM »
Mike Wascher

I’m reading that we lost Ken Strange. My memories go back to when Ken coached Augustana and I debated for Bradley. It was great to reconnect with Ken when I returned in 2000. We’ve lost a wonderful human being and a great coach

SherryHall

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2019, 05:38:44 PM »
James Edward

Soon there will be no giants left

SherryHall

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2019, 05:39:28 PM »
David Marks

I love you, Ken. It’s hard to imagine a world without your gravitational pull. So many of us would keep coming together, decades after we graduated —- rotating in common orbit and sometimes crashing in to each other, but always circling around the foundational, shared connection we each felt we had with you. From weddings to fantasy football, you made us feel important, valued and capable of more. Thank you for pushing me, for caring about me, and showing me that every teammate matters and deserves time and attention —- and that it simply doesn’t matter how many rounds you’ve won or lost or who you’re facing next, because you’re still expected to try hard in the next one. That life skill, and relentless attitude, got me through some of the more difficult times on my life over the last 15 years. I don’t know anyone else who has had such a powerful, direct and positive impact on so many of my closest friends, family and community. You were a world builder. Thank you.

SherryHall

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2019, 05:40:25 PM »
Jason Sykes

Ken Strange was amazing. His commitment to kindness and debate education extended well beyond Hanover. My heart aches for the Dartmouth Debate family.

SherryHall

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 05:42:00 PM »
Martin Osborn

Ken Strange invented prep time. He told me the story himself at the 2014 NDT.

RIP to a legend of debate -- one of the intellectual and dedicated greats, he also made me feel welcome and helped me believe in myself with zero incentive to do so. rarer than realized, in retrospect. reflections of people like him are what hold it all together.

SherryHall

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2019, 05:42:30 PM »
Tracy McFarland

We should all strive to coach our debaters with the kind of investment and authenticity that generates the lifelong relationships and influence Ken Strange has with his debaters.